Hondo's Bar

thread of infinite sadness

The NZA

I almost put this in the thread of infinite joy b/c God bless the French government for at least paying for some of these new implants. However, ultimately, it is a sad day for French tits.

Ms. Rodriguez is one of the 30,000 Frenchwomen who were given the implants, which were filled with an industrial-grade silicone and are more likely to rupture or ooze than those made from surgical silicone. About 300,000 women across 65 countries received the implants.

The problems with the implants were first revealed in 2010, when the French government ordered their withdrawal from the market, though at the time it did not recommend their removal from those who already had them. But women with the implants got a fresh jolt in November news broke that a woman whose suspect implants had leaked had died of a rare form of lymphatic cancer.

While French health officials said the gel carried no known link to cancer, the news had many women here hurrying to have their implants removed, lest they rupture and spread a potentially toxic gel in their bodies...

In December, French health officials recommended that women have the implants removed as a preventive measure. The government has said that it will cover the cost, but that it will pay for new implants only for women who had them for reconstructive surgery after breast cancer.

“Many women who come to us can’t pay for new breasts,” said Muriel Ajello, who leads a group defending affected women. “Those people are our priority.”

The women primarily fear for their health. Even so, many also joined Ms. Ajello’s association to be recognized as victims and fight against the perception that they were somehow at fault for having had the surgery in the first place. They pointed out that many women have implants after a mastectomy, or after extensive breastfeeding that can shrink the breast, and not just for vanity.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 weeks later...

http://worldblog.msn...-victim-was-one

LONDON – At London's Old Bailey, the highest criminal court in Britain, a desperate family tragedy is unfolding in courtroom number five.

It involves torture, death – and witchcraft.

Harrowing sobs have echoed round the old courtroom as different members of one family have given evidence in the case of Magalie Bamu and her boyfriend Eric Bikubi, both accused of torturing Magalie's 15-year-old brother, Kristy Bamu, to death because they believed he was a witch.

plugin.sharecounter.js:2:

Kristy came to Britain with four brothers and sisters from his home in Paris to spend Christmas 2010 with his older sister Magalie. They stayed with her at the flat she shared with Bikubi, 28, in a section of eastern London.

That, prosecutors allege, is when things went bad. The court heard that Bikubi accused three of the young visitors of witchcraft, and started taunting and beating them. Then he found some urine soaked underwear hidden in the flat's kitchen, which Kristy admitted was his. At that point, prosecutors said, Bikubi allegedly started to focus his accusations on Kristy and began to torture and beat the teenager in an attempt to oust out the evil in him.

Details of the torture have been spelled out to the jury by the children. They say Bikubi pulled Kristy's ears with pliers, rammed a metal tube into his mouth to dislodge his teeth, hit him with a hammer, and dropped tiles on to his head while forcing some of his siblings to hold him down and take part in the attacks.

Prosecutor Brian Altman described the pitting of sibling against sibling as "a staggering act of depravity and cruelty.”

One child, who has not been named, told the court the attacks wore Bikubi out to the point where he said he needed a rest and asked his girlfriend Magalie, Kristy's 28-year old sister, to take over.

"He said 'I've had enough, I need to have a rest.' And Magalie hit him hard and quickly.'"

Eventually Bikubi filled a bathtub and instructed Kristy to get into it. According to the same sibling, as the water level rose Kristy tried to lift his body out, but was too weak. Eventually he slipped under the surface of the water, and drowned. It was Christmas Day.

Edited by Mortiis558

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46499162/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.T0Z2MfFKRLc

After more than 40 years of development and extensive use by the military, the United States has set the date when the nation’s airspace will be open for drones. Should you be scared?

Short answer: No, but like any new technology, unmanned aerial vehicles have their dark side.

Legislation passed by Congress last week gives the Federal Aviation Administration2_11pxw.gif until Sept. 30, 2015, to open the nation’s skies to drones.

NEWS: Smart Drone Aircraft Makes Debut Flight

The first step comes in 90 days when police, firefighters and other civilian first-response agencies can start flying UAVs weighing no more than 4.4 pounds, provided they meet still-to-be-determined requirements, such as having an operator on the ground within line-of-sight of the drone and flying it at least 400 feet above ground.

Currently, UAVs can only fly in restricted airspace zones controlled by the U.S. military.

By May 2013, the next class of drones, those weighing less than 55 pounds, can fly the nation’s skies, according to provisions of the FAA bill passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama last week.

The deadline for full integration of drones into U.S. airspace is Sept. 30, 2015.

Rules about where and when drones can fly and who can operate them are still under development. And there are still technical hurdles, such as setting up the bandwidth for secure UAV radio communications and refining collision avoidance systems, said NASA program manager Chuck Johnson of the Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards, Calif.

But the most pressing issues are privacy concerns and public perceptions.

“Right now, under current U.S. laws there are very few restrictions on our ability to take pictures or videos of individuals outside,” Harley Geiger, a policy attorney with the Center for Democracy and Technology in Washington, D.C., told Discovery News.

“Some of the privacy issues that we see with drones are very different than the sort of surveillance that can be conducted with a helicopter. Drones can quietly watch an entire town without refueling. It can conduct a pervasive and secret surveillance that helicopters cannot match,” Geiger said.

“You can’t avoid it if you’re outside unless you take cover. People don’t want to be on YouTube whenever they go outside,” he added.

That’s not to say that governments, companies and individuals shouldn’t use drones.

“We’re not standing in the way of drone technology. We are saying that there needs to be privacy and transparency rules for its use. Otherwise the American people are going to enter a rather dark period in terms of physical surveillance,” Geiger said.

That could include, for example, having drone operators’ licenses and mission information publicly available online.

NEWS: Drones Play ‘Where’s Waldo’

Gretchen West, executive vice president with Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International trade group, says drones will have very specific missions, not widespread surveillance.

“It doesn’t mean these aircraft are flying throughout the nation’s airspace. They’ll be used for law enforcement, to monitor traffic, for search and rescue and to track suspects,” she said.

On the commercial side, drones have a huge benefit for the oil and gas industry, agriculture, environmental monitoring and disaster surveillance, she added.

“It’s not meant to sit over someone’s house and take video,” West told Discovery News.

“The new regulations open up the airspace a little bit so we can start collecting more data,” she said. “Because they’ve been regulated so heavily by the FAA and the military, there’s not a lot of information for the FAA to get to make the regulations.”

And so it begins....

<object width="450" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/3b7_1330178433"></param><param'>http://www.liveleak.com/e/3b7_1330178433"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/3b7_1330178433" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="370"></embed></object>

Interesting documentary. To think that there is even such a place in the world. I have always been curious to why the Japanese are so prone to suicide and I have read and seen numerous reasons to explain why. Still none of it really seems to completely answer the question. And also like the ecologist says, "Why come to such a beautiful place to commit suicide?" Until the dead start to talk, we will probably never know truly.

I saw an article on Cracked once upon a time that mentioned the Suicide Forest, and I ended up buying the book that I guess inspired people to go into the forest. It...is really, really dark. And then I was left with a conundrum. It's not a book I would give to anyone suffering from thoughts that might tempt them to do something regrettable. Likewise, I didn't want to sell it to Hastings, where a really sad, forlorn teenager might find it and again, do something incredibly awful and spur (or even thought out) of the moment. So it's just sitting in my house, being dark and if I'm being honest, kinda scary, on my bookshelf. I actually have a whole row of books like that, including "Let the Right One In", and to a lesser extent "American Psycho".

Anyway, here's the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Bokutachi-kanzen-jisatsu-manyuaru-opinions/dp/4872331532/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330647990&sr=8-1

Yeah cracked is where I first heard about it too.

Kinda off topic, the way you describe that book is exactly why i don't want digital to completely take over. Somewhere in the future, somebody is finding a dog-eared paperback of World War Z and learning about our struggles with the zombie menace and teaching it to their children.

Ill trade it to you for something. You pick. You know what else? I think I have an old copy of Dune you let me borrow in HS. Would you like it back? lol

Also, this song is so, so sad.

It's about putting a family pet to sleep. I warn you, if you have pets, you probably don't want to listen or watch that video.