Hondo's Bar

Thread of Infinite Joy

Mr. Hakujin

But imagine if you were the one who made the decision to pull the plug on someone you loved and then later learned about this. I would be haunted for the rest of my life.

Maybe I'm evil, but every time I read her name the "Terry shiavo is very much alive-o" song from family guy gets stuck in my head.

• 3 weeks later...

Dog Travels 70 Miles to Find His Marine Best Friend

Gq2An.jpg

When Maj. Brian Dennis first spotted a scruffy German Shepard-Border collie mix at a fort in Iraq, the dog wasn’t interested in making friends. The dog, who lived in the wild with a pack of canine companions, had already been through a lifetime’s worth of pain and neglect. His ears had been cut off as a puppy, and he had been trained as a fighting dog. Now that he was finally free of his tormentors, the dog just wanted to be left alone.

But Dennis saw something special in the dog, which he nicknamed “Nubs,” because of his missing ears. It took some time, but eventually Dennis had the dog eating out of his hand. One day, when Nubs showed up one day with a deep wound in his side, Dennis nursed him back to health. Soon, Dennis and Nubs were inseparable.

Sadly, Dennis learned that his unit would be forced to relocate to a new base, and he wasn’t allowed to bring Nubs along. As he watched Nubs race alongside his Hummer as his unit drove away from the fort for the last time, he was sure that he would never see the dog again.

But two days later, a familiar face turned up at Dennis’ new base: Somehow, Nubs had managed to follow the Marine unit through the Iraqi desert on foot, all the way to their new base – 70 miles away.

“I won’t even address the gauntlet he had to run of dog packs, wolves, and God knows what else to get here,” Dennis wrote. “When he arrived he looked like he’d just been through a war zone.”

“Uh, wait a minute, he had.”

Even though it was against military protocol, Dennis’ unit felt compelled to give the determined dog a home. They built a doghouse for Nubs, but were soon informed by the military police that Nubs would have to live elsewhere. So, Dennis decided to take Nubs home with him. The dog is currently in Jordan, and will soon be sent on a plane to San Diego, where he’ll be reunited with Dennis once again.

Dennis looks forward to taking Nubs to play on Dog Beach, feeding him gourmet dog food, and letting him bask in the sunlight, far away from the harsh Iraqi desert.

“He’s always been a big dog lover,” Dennis’ mother, Marsha Cargo, told ABC News. “He’s supposed to be this big, tough Marine, but he’s really a softy.”

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

okay, so it's not going on a hallmark card, but it's a good story nonetheless.

18 year old mother kills intruder breaking into her home while on phone with 911

She also holed up in her bedroom with a 12-gauge shotgun and a pistol, while she put a bottle in her three-month-old son's mouth.

"I've got two guns in my hand -- Is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" McKinley asked the 911 operator.

"I can't tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told McKinley when she asked a second time. The call went on for 21 minutes as the men powered their way into McKinley's house.

Eventually, Martin kicked in the door and charged at her with a knife, but McKinley fired before he could injure her.

Police found Martin slumped over a couch that McKinley had used to barricade the door and pronounced him dead on the scene, TV station News 9 reports. They said McKinley's use of force was justified.

the fact that the father died of cancer on christmas almost got this tossed into the other "infinite" thread, but honestly? good for her, cause this shit could've gone way, way worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7xn_0iVksc&feature=colike

This made me cry with joy. Thanks for posting this, K-Bro!

Also, cool fact: She's from Johnson County, here in Texas. Totes local. Even more awesome!

Thatnmade me both happy and a little sad. So happy that she got the other procedure and the mother-in-law was reimbursed, but so sad that it took a fucking entertainment talk show to get it done. Health care reform really can't come quickly enough for this country.