Hondo's Bar

Thread of Infinite Joy

Mr. Hakujin

After Scott Brown held his nerve to win £50,000 on Deal Or No Deal, he was determined that his estranged wife should not get a penny.

But with only four months before the TV gameshow was screened and she found out about his windfall, the father-of-two knew he had to spend it fast.

- The 33-year-old sign manufacturer and fitter said he used £15,000 to clear all the debts he and his wife Rachel, 29, had from credit card bills, loans and bank overdrafts.

- After setting aside almost £2,000 to cover legal fees for his divorce, he bought clothing, toys and household items for their two young children.

- Mr Brown also used some cash to ‘live off’, having being signed off from work because of ‘depression’.

- But he admits he spent most of the rest on ‘having a good time’, including an iPad, a holiday in Mexico and the outlay of £4,000 on a second-hand X-type Jaguar estate car.

- The final part of his winnings went days before his own August 21 deadline to pay for an electrician’s course, so he could start a new career.

As it turned out, Mr Brown was right to suspect that his wife, who he says asked him for a divorce on Christmas Day last year when he allegedly found she had been having an affair with a truck driver she met over the internet, would want to cash in on his lucky break.

As soon as the Channel 4 programme was broadcast, she went to court in a belated bid to ensure she received a share.

The case went before a district judge at Doncaster County Court last Thursday, when Mr Brown was ordered to detail in writing how the money was spent; an injunction imposed days earlier ordering him not to spend his winnings – if any remained – was kept in place; and the case was adjourned.

PMtuW.jpg

not only did she miss her gravy train, he looks to've mostly spent it on good things in that timeframe. props.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've watched this more than I care to admit. I'm suffering of dehydration. After a couple of viewings, I realized there was a hula hoop in it and I was like "WHOA".2:55 gets me every time.
I had to repost this here from blargh! I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't bring anyone at least a modicum of joy. Well done w/ finding this gem, Thrizzle. Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Pizza Special Delivery

Have you ever filled out the "Special Comments" section on your online pizza order? Redditor beep_b33p did, writing, "It's my birthday, surprise me" before clicking the "Place Order" button. Her Pizza Hut driver totally followed those instructions, stopping at CVS on the way to her house to buy her a card and slipping a crisp dollar bill inside. "Have a great birthday. I know we just met but it feels like forever," he wrote, signing the card "Gabe The Delivery Driver." This is why delivery pizza beats the frozen version every time. That cold, unfeeling Red Baron forgets our birthday EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

• 2 weeks later...

Hero dog that lost snout and upper jaw saving 2 girls arrives at UC Davis for surgery

Snout-less 'hero dog' Kabang arrives at UC Davis

Peter Fimrite

Updated 7:20 a.m., Friday, October 12, 2012

A dog who became an international cause celebre after her snout was sliced off saving two young girls in the Philippines was examined by veterinarians Thursday at UC Davis, a milestone event in a remarkable humanitarian effort to help a canine heroine.

The mixed-breed dog, named Kabang, became an unlikely star in the Philippines after she reportedly threw herself into the path of a speeding motorcycle just as it was about to hit two young girls crossing a roadway in Zamboanga City.

The lunge, by all accounts, saved the lives of the daughter and niece of Kabang's owner, but cost the dog her snout and upper jaw, which was sheared off when she got tangled in the motorcycle's spokes. The gruesome injury puts her in grave danger of developing an infection. At minimum, the gaping wound must be closed, a delicate procedure that is beyond the capability of veterinarians in the Philippines.

Kabang was brought to the William R. Pritchard Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, at UC Davis, where a team of veterinarians looked over her wounds.

"We are pleased with what we discovered," said Frank Verstraete, one of the veterinary surgeons who conducted an hour-long exam Thursday that included blood and urine tests. "We are confident we can improve her condition going forward."

Verstraete and fellow surgeon Boaz Arzi said they anticipate that Kabang will need at least two surgeries over the next six weeks, one focusing on dental work and the other to close the gaping wound on her face.

"Contrary to some rumors in the media," the hospital said in a statement, "there are no plans to fit Kabang with a 'prosthetic snout' or to replace her jaw."

The campaign to help Kabang was spearheaded by Karen Kenngott, a longtime critical care nurse from Buffalo, N.Y., who organized a fundraising campaign that raised more than $20,000 in donations from 20 different countries, enough to pay for surgery, airfare, visas, passports and a hotel stay for the dog and her handlers.

Kabang, referred to in newspapers in the Philippines as the "hero dog," flew into Los Angeles International Airport Monday night with Anton Lim, her local veterinarian. Her owner, Rudy Bunggal, had to stay home apparently because he could not locate a valid birth certificate and was unable to obtain a visa or passport.

Kabang's unprecedented journey actually began nearly two years ago in a swamp near Zamboanga, when the 57-year-old Bunggal found an abandoned puppy in a paddy field. He initially kept the dog with the intention of fattening it up and feeding it to his family, a practice that is not uncommon in the Philippines, but his daughter, Dina, 11, and niece, Princess, 3, grew close to the dog, according to numerous published accounts. They named her Kabang, which means "spotty" in their native Visayan language, and the dog became very protective of the girls.

The motorcycle accident, which left Kabang literally with half a face, touched hearts across the Philippines. Kenngott heard about the dog's plight, which prompted her to start a website, careforkabang.com, and opened Facebook and Twitter accounts. Her grassroots campaign was helped by pet lovers' websites, many of which have considerable followings in the Bay Area.

"It is a high-profile case for us," said Rob Warren, the spokesman for Davis' veterinary hospital. "It is a tremendous opportunity for everybody. I see it as a win-win all around."

R2IDE.jpgjrmWG.jpg

mS2Jh.jpg

9kCDH.jpg

okay yeah it looks kinda terrifying, but it's still a touching story of a very loyal dog.

pics from the hospital!

b0ZvR.jpg

l0y18.jpg

TEVdE.jpg

iex3b.jpg

7Gf8O.jpg

qbobk.jpg

ZFLyb.jpg

let's just go ahead and get this out've the way

silent-hill-dogi9ru7.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So yeah, it's been a rough day with the shooting and all. I've had a rough past 24 hours myself as my grandmother passed away last night also. I posted a very timely and coincidental cracked article earlier, the 5 videos that will brighten your day, and it really has brightened my day. Thought this vid needed to be placed here for posterity especially cause the cheeriness in it is just so damn infectious.

Edited by axel_napalm

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I almost put this in blargh! b/c I thought the story might have a bit of an unintentional creepy vibe by going in this thread, but then I remembered ASC posted a video about tickling rats, so it's all relative.

Anyway, this is so much more creative than planking IMHO. [More photos at the link.]

There is a massive internet photo trend brewing amongst youths in Japan right now that involves taking pictures of teens who appear to be releasing invisible energy that sends their peers flying. The photo mania is especially popular amongst schoolgirls who started the trend by uploading images on Twitter and labeling them as "Makankosappo", a reference to a special attack in the popular manga-turned-anime Dragon Ball series.

In anticipation of a new Dragon Ball Z movie, these pictures of teens playfully performing air-bending feats have been turning up from all over Japan. Some perform the Makankosappo move while others have adopted the more popular Kamehameha energy attack. Either way, whether you're a fan of the show or not, it's clear that these teens are mimicking some invisible fireball-like force flinging them across the frame at the hand of their friend. The images are super effective and, obviously, their power level must be OVER 9,000!

3bwLbUy.jpg

v3N8nL7.jpg

9ZXW0x2.jpg

Gt2nmUo.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...