Hondo's Bar

Thread of Infinite Joy

Mr. Hakujin

That was a cute video with the kid and cow, ASC. However, when it got to the part about the cut on the cow's leg all I could think was, "That kid just touched cow's blood and she's now putting her hands everywhere. Surely we just witnessed some strain of tha bola being born."

....ehhh sorry to be that guy but im about to take that video down, self-loading vids in 2014 are the bane of my existence

Simmah down now. When I uploaded it on my iPad I didn't have that happen to me. Anyway, hope you watched the video as it's quite uplifting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Full NPR article text and audio here.

prado4-5-25-15_wide-b6253ed44f3b9d68e76679bb4086e7b54fc003ee-s800-c85.jpg

"Touching the Prado" is not the world's first 3-D art exhibit for the blind, but it is one of the only ones to incorporate both color and texture, Pérez Suescun says. Previous projects at museums in New York, London, Florence and Mexico City have allowed blind visitors to touch duplicates of famous sculptures, crafted with 3-D printers, or paintings reduced to black-and-white with texture.

"For people with partial vision, this exhibit is perfect, because what you can't see, you feel," says Ana Rosa Argente, whose vision is deteriorating, but who is not yet classified as blind. "I can see light and some colors, but the rest, I use the texture to complete the picture in my mind."

The small exhibit is comprised of six duplicated paintings from the Prado's collection, including a copy of the Mona Lisa painted by an apprentice to Leonardo da Vinci. Some have been reduced in scale, to allow visitors to touch them easily without having to move around. All are accompanied by Braille text.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man calls 911, turns in drugs after hearing President Obama's October 21st speech

CROSS LANES, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Like many West Virginians, a man from Cross Lanes watched President Obama address the drug addiction problem during his visit to Charleston on Oct. 21.

Later that day, he called 911 and said he needed help for a drug addiction and asked that deputies be sent to his home.

The Kanawha County Sheriff's Office released details of the incident Wednesday in a release that ended with, "We applaud this person's self-initiated efforts and wish him well in his recovery."

The Sheriff's Office said after repeated calls back from 911 operators that day, their deputies went to the man's home. They said he put his hands on the wall and said he needed help.

The man, in his mid-30s, then showed Deputy J.A. Smith a cooler full of drugs that included included digital scales, 16 Suboxone packs and patches, marijuana, 19 grams of ecstasy and 158 pain pills.

The man admitted he was a heavy drug user, had watched the President's speech and wanted to live a drug-free life for his mother.

The Sheriff's Department said Wednesday that no charges will be filed against the man. Instead, he was taken by ambulance to a treatment center where he voluntarily entered a drug-addiction rehabilitation program.

They did not release his name or address.

god, if only it went like that more often

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...