Hondo's Bar

Anime You Dislike/like

Sango

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah...well you know, its like...like Rush and Zeppelin with you. Deep down, you might know Led to be a better group, but Rush is your thing, you know? (its an analogy; dont read to far into it).

I can objectively say that, perhaps becasue its a much shorter series, Cowboy Bebop is better. The animation, the music, the characterization, plot, style, etc - it was great. Kenshin can be episodic a lot of times (i quit watching it the first time through to be honest) but gets epic out of nowhere, and after it comes back down from that, between that & the OAV's i'm such a fan of the charcters that even the filler episodes seem cool to me.

I'm a whore for good samurai shit, and this is all about that, even got some history to it which i love.

It is, of couse, 95 episodes long (!), most of which im through, and tho I've really ejoyed it, the OAV's (Samurai X: Trust & Betrayl) have been my highlights, the animation there is top notch, and its a lot darker than the series - id say watch these when you can, outside the series as most people do, but if you havent made it to the halfway point of the series it doesnt have nearly the impact, you know?

's up to you, tho.

I just finished Outlaw Star. Review: Top notch. It's no Cowboy Bebop or Trigun, but it's in the same league. Like how most people feel about Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. You can say which you like better, but they're all in the same league.

And as far as Rush and Zep, I just feel Rush is way underrated and that Rush is in the same league as Zep. I was listening to a Big 106 commercial and they said something for the station that plays, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rush, AC-DC, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, The Who, The Doors, and The Rolling Stones, tune into Big 106. That's what I'm saying, Rush belongs on that list, but most people aren't even aware of them. Big 106 (and the classic rock stations in other towns I've been in play at least 7 Rush sounds regularly (Working Man, Fly By Night, Closer To the Heart, The Spirit Of Radio, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Red Barchetta) as well as some others I've heard at least once (The Trees, New World Man). Most bands don't get that variety of play on classic rock station. Only the heavy hitters. So, yes, Zep is a better band, but Rush is in the same league (let's call it The Eagles vs The Packers, not The Packers vs Washington High School's Junior Varsity Team).

But let's not get into this, I swore of defending Rush on this board.

it...it was an analogy, but im guessin you followed it...

to use a comic one (if junker or anyone else reads this), for instance: Preacher & Lone Wolf are my favorites, but i admit Watchmen is a better book than both, just not my personal favorite - Kenshin's the same. I love it, but the average person wont think it half of Cowboy Bebop, certainly not in the early episodes.

Glad to hear bout Outlaw Star tho, i intend to check that one out.

Does anyone know about Kite? Ive heard its disturbing at times but supposed to be inetrestin...

I'm actually gettin into that one m'self soon - me & Yahven saw that one in FIU Anime Club (you should really check that out sometime, they show cool shit, and its free), he saw the full thing but i missed bits, so i found it interestin but sadly got lost, im gettin back into it in the near future tho.

Its not too long, i wanna say 4 discs total? Some existential shit as i recall...dont hesitate to PM Yahven about it for details, he's a huge fan of the series.

Its also another one with great visuals and a good soundtack (the "Cyberia" remix disc is cool), i think ya might like it.

It's 4 dvds for the US release, 2 for the hong kong one I just bought. It's 13 episodes, super short even by anime stardards, since many animes are done as planned miniseries, something thought of as rediculous in the US. It's on it way to me here in Miami right now. And I am par tof the Anime club, I just hardly ever end up going.

Ah - well if there's ever anythin you wanna see & cant find, check with them (or Netflix). There's some really good guys in that group with an assload of anime, and they often dont mind hookin it up.

I agree with you on the min-series, its a great format of tellin stories, as comics are finding too. I know its askin a lot for franchinse characters/plots to go finite but, man, it really adds to it. Imagine Cowboy Bebop with another 3 seasons worth of dead horsey-beating, that'dve really put a bad twist on the series, i think.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, dont really dont know if this is anime but you can tell me.. While ninja scroll was a good one. I have been introduced into the art that is Cowboy Bebop. That is the best anime ever... end of story... I have now found a cartoon that rivals Spongebob. I have only seen two episodes and I love it. The only problem is that i dont remember what time and day it was on tho... :angry:

Pretty big claim for someone who hasnt seen much anme at all...

I have the entire series on VHS, but its subtitled, the way god intended. Lemme know if you wanna see it. In any event youve picked one of the best ive seen so i cant argue.

(wish i had hard dive space for the movie jax was talkin bout tho)

So is Chuck Norris, that's not the point. Hig movie suck big sweaty balls. Keanu Reeves isn't a martial arts expert, but give him a few months with Wu Ping and his team and he'll make a movie where the single worse aspect of the movie is still better than any Seagal movie's best aspect. Martial arts in movie are cool, but you need a certain sense of non-suckage to make it work. Look at Jet Li's Fist of Legend. That's early Wu Ping work. Beats anything Seagal could even dream of accomplishing.

• 2 weeks later...
Just came across this one - NewType's scarce these days (just had his appendix removed) but Alex, you serious about Macross: Do You Remember Love putting Plus to shame? That series was great, sharp animation, good story, great soundtrack (same composer as Escaflowne & Cowboy Bebop)...i guess ill havta see that one.

bringing the conversation back to anime.....

watched do you remember love awhile back. everyone's entitled to his/her opinions. There's only one way that one could say that dyrl puts plus to shame - if you think robotech with upgraded animation is better than plus. The story seems to follow in a similar fashion as robotech. Now, i hear that macross is different than robotech, but i haven't seen the macross version - plus it's hard and/or expensive to get. anyways, i think someone should watch the robotech series before dyrl. it's long the animation's not that great, but the story is good.

on a seperate note........ been dabbling in noir and berserk.

sango posted a review on this one, and that's why i decided to check this out..... noir is quite a different anime... but not too different. it takes awhile to get started up. it's about an 2 expert killers, one with no past, and one with a painful past. there's gunplay in this one; first of its kind, but no where near as stylish as cowboy bebop. there's a ton of super unrealistic stuff that you will only find in anime. nice music too. will let yall know how it is when i finish

berserk - watched a few episodes. far less than noir. nice... it's immediately catchy. more to come....

Berserk...see, the Dreamcast game supposedly follows after the anime, and parts of that one's story look really cool, so im curious.

Kee taped the entire (or most of) the series on VHS for me back in the day, but sadly the quality's no good, subtitles are kinda bouncy at too many points. It's a shame. Spiffy how are you watching it, VCD or downloads or wha?

Also, talked to NewType recently, he said same guy as Escaflowne & some others is puttin out a new Macross series, like a prequel - Tim you heard of this?

Over here: now that Kenshin's done, and Miyazaki's runnin low, ive downloaded the first episdoe of "Samurai: Deeper Kyo" and "Wolf's Rain", this new ongoing series by the same team as Cowboy Bebop - Lizi-chan mentioned it. Ill review tonite or tomorrow soon as i get to see em.