Hondo's Bar

Duke Nukem Forever

The NZA

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
“The moment fans all over the world have been waiting for is almost here,” says Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “May 3, 2011 marks Duke’s return as he unleashes his brash and brutally honest wit on the world. His return is going to be epic and one that will make video gaming history!”

May 3 is the North American release date. May 6 is worldwide.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm willing to try and make peace here, given that both games came out within MONTHS of one another and that in theory the development teams had no idea what the other one was working on that both games had a major impact in the industry.

Duke did what Quake did, just with Doom graphics.

I thought I'd dig this up again because I was reading this thread again and that is a load of bullshit.

Here's Tycho's (of Penny Arcade) thoughts on the matter:

These days Duke remembered as the game with boobs in it, or is the game about boobs, or is executed by running boobs.exe, or is the one about a dumb jerk. The terrible thing is that, yeah, a lot of it was dumb. Is dumb. But while 3D Realms was doing away with taste and chivalry, they also did away with a bunch of other cruft that still clings to the genre.

Consider that "Quake," a game which came after Duke and was considered to be the primary competitor to Duke at that time, did away with manual interactions altogether. You progressed through the game largely via frottage; you simply rubbed yourself against walls and doors until they gave way, either by a scripted trigger or simply through vigorous abrasion. Duke could have been made as a response to Quake, even though it came out before: it had world as tangible, or more tangible, than many shooters today.

Things get more complicated when you start thinking about QuakeC, or native IP support, and then all bets are truly off the first time you entered +mlook at the console. I mean, that's when you knew. But as a design - as a place? For all its interdimensional chaos, you could eat off of Quake. Every molecule was clean. Duke, on the other hand, was filthy with ambiguities.

Jetpacks. Tricksy holograms. Shrink-rays. I mean, there are entire games based on individual Duke features. Timed detonators! It's like they had access to a different alphabet, and somewhere they are still hoarding those secret letters. Why are all of those ideas in the same game? It's from 1996, and it still comes up in conversation. The Subway. The Bank. Virtually unlimited levels to play on, 20k or less in most cases. I shot Gabriel once with a shrink ray, and he used his jetpack to fly out the window like an insect. Fifteen years ago. Still talking about it, about scenarios that to this day no game has managed to top.

Duke was also made before people were paying regular attention to this industry and its nefarious output; like his brother Lo Wang, he's a creature out of time that has no place in the modern world. But the game did make contributions of a real sort, and charted a very different course, even if you would need an industrial centrifuge to make any part of it pure.

Duke Nukem did in 96 what most games STILL aren't doing. I mean what was the next FPS game to use Jetpacks after Duke? Tribes Aerial Assault I think, and then Halo: Reach. Shrink Rays, expanders, all kinds of cool ass weapons. Hell, it was post-Xbox 360 where I actually played another game where I could see my reflection in a mirror. Quake brought the 3D but they didn't bring much else in the way of innovation and Quake 2, Quake 3, and even Quake 4 didn't break any new ground. Even Doom 3 for all its bluster was only groundbreaking for doing the same exact thing that all other shooters were doing at the time. Hell, even Half-Life: arguably the most groundbreaking shooter of its time still didn't bring as much shit to the table as Duke did and yeah they brought it in a chauvanist package filled with juveneille humor and strippers, but it's yet to be topped and I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Duke Nukem Forver will probably be more lastingly fun than Bulletstorm or Rage (and mind you I'm looking forward to both.) So funka some graphics, Quake can kiss my ass with its Y-axis and its gun that electrocutes you in water.

still vapor ware.

Also if it came out(which it won't) there a capture the babe mode where you drag women around and they start to cry or some shit and you have to slap their bottoms to reasure them.

Do you think all the groups that will be outraged would have doubled their sales just by the coverage that would get if the game would, in fact, come out instead of being vaporware?

Do you know what vaporware is? Vaporware is fucking Ninjabread man, they're games that had like 2 weeks devoted to them by a team that hates them, come out half broken, and are there to make a quick buck. Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard is Vaporware, I daresay even Halo Reach is Vaporware. Duke Nukem is and always has been a complex game with a lot of work and love put into it, just cause the main character is a walking source of offense doesn't mean they're not fun to play. So unless by Vaporware you mean fun, then I don't see how that applies.

Also the game IS coming out so I'm not really sure what all this "if" stuff is you're talking about. The ass slapping thing is also the most ridiculous whiny mess i've ever heard. Two weeks ago I watched Nico Bellic punch a woman he was kidnapping in the face to knock her out and shut her up and Nico's a much more likeable protagonist then Duke and yet that wasn't brought up once against Grand Theft Auto 4. Anybody who's outraged over this is looking for a reason to get upset.

Do you know what vaporware is? Vaporware is fucking Ninjabread man, they're games that had like 2 weeks devoted to them by a team that hates them, come out half broken, and are there to make a quick buck. Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard is Vaporware, I daresay even Halo Reach is Vaporware. Duke Nukem is and always has been a complex game with a lot of work and love put into it, just cause the main character is a walking source of offense doesn't mean they're not fun to play. So unless by Vaporware you mean fun, then I don't see how that applies.

Also the game IS coming out so I'm not really sure what all this "if" stuff is you're talking about. The ass slapping thing is also the most ridiculous whiny mess i've ever heard. Two weeks ago I watched Nico Bellic punch a woman he was kidnapping in the face to knock her out and shut her up and Nico's a much more likeable protagonist then Duke and yet that wasn't brought up once against Grand Theft Auto 4. Anybody who's outraged over this is looking for a reason to get upset.

Baytor,

I could care less about Duke but I have to step in for the sake of consistent language here. Your definition of vaporware is in fact the definition of "shovelware". Vaporware is accepted by the industry to mean software that promises big and then never delivers. In most cases, vaporware never sees production, in the few cases where it does its a massively stripped down version with none of the original promise. Windows Longhorn was vaporware. The majority of Wii games are shovelware.

I would like to state that Lipala is both awesome and I am in love with her. If at any point I get a call for an orgy I'm there :)

BTW the reason I keep up with the if's and the vaporware mark is because the game has been in development for over a fucking decade and frankly for a while I really honestly though it would never see the light of day(the story of the game if fucking epic in terms of how many times it's been redone) so till I play it myself and am convinced it's not in a dream it'll be vaporware to me and therefore the joke will go on till someone proves I'm not insane(good luck)

baytor's (and tycho's) post still makes some interesting points - i totally forgot about that stuff in Duke. its been over a decade since, and he's right, i cant think of a single shooter that's brought holo-decoys, shrinking rays, jetpacks etc along with the standard rocket launchers & such. i used to love flying about the stadium level with that shit, and now, every FPS i play brings the same weapons (you can only hold 2, though, for whatever reason) and a lot've the fun secondary items seem to've gone the way of the medpack.

in light of this, a non-COD MW, true-to-form Duke would really stand out right now, even in a sea of shooters.

(you can only hold 2, though, for whatever reason) a

Thats basically due to halo and due to the fact it's harder to cycle through weapons on a console(though some games like r1 and the upcoming r3 make due with a weapons wheel.) personally I always though it was a bit of a step back but I do understand why it happened.

yeah, i get that...and it's a better reason that "realism" that ive heard others cite - but i played Duke on N64. if i could make shit work with that odd-ass controller, i just cant see it being such a default that ive a hard time naming a shooter in the last few years that didnt have 2-3 weapons cap. then again, the duke/serious sam days of non-gritty shooters seems like a time capsule now.

but yeah, i knew people who played diablo 1 on PSX. no excuses!

yeah, i get that...and it's a better reason that "realism" that ive heard others cite - but i played Duke on N64. if i could make shit work with that odd-ass controller, i just cant see it being such a default that ive a hard time naming a shooter in the last few years that didnt have 2-3 weapons cap. then again, the duke/serious sam days of non-gritty shooters seems like a time capsule now.

but yeah, i knew people who played diablo 1 on PSX. no excuses!

Like I said, you can thank halo for alot of that as that where the big shift happened. Halo was hugely influential on fps design. It's sad that with all the things duke did right, with how much everyone wanted a sequel that it seems to have left little lasting impression in terms of games taking after it.

It's partially the fault of the sophomoric tone, but to be honest Duke 3D wasn't a fluke for 3D Realms. Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad, and especially Prey were all way ahead of the curve and it took the industry a long time to catch up to each one, if they ever did at all. Honestly I think the industry just thinks we hate fun, look at games like Painkiller, Blood, and Serious Sam which wer about as deep as a motorlodge swimming pool but were still tons of fun, all 3 of those games are still as fun today which is more than can be said for something like Doom. Instead we've got a whole bunch of cover-based bullshit and games that try and ape Halo. I give Doom 3 shit, but at least it tried to ape Half-Life instead.

Halo shifted more Xbox's then any other game at its time and for some reason people love this game. It easy to see why any video game dev would like to tap into that market, even if that means they copy and paste bits of Halo.

The thing that really gets under my skin is that Bungie killed the health bar in fps. What is so fun about hiding every 5 mintues so your screen stops bleeding. Kids these days I swear.

Anyway here is one of my all time favorite mods

Priss Nukem!!

Gearbox has this shit in the bag. Those guys are awesome. Whether they nail it or not remains to be seen, but it will come out.

Baytor successfully articulated shit that's been in my head for years. 2-D sprites and all, Duke is the high warlord of all FPS's of the time. More ingenuity in 20 minutes of gameplay than in the entirety of Quake (as long as you didn't spend that entire time looking for a red keycard...)

People give 3D Realms shit for Duke taking so long, but Prey had 10+ years of development gone. They're like Valve and Blizzard. It takes them forever to get shit done, but when they do it's well worth the wait. I think the main reason they rebooted so many times was due to the game falling behind what current FPS games were doing both graphically and gameplay-wise (the early teaser trailer reminded me a great deal of Half-Life in both style and execution) but at this point they're more or less putting this one discs already so I'm not concerned that the dream is dead.

As for being a disappointement, 3D Realms' track record speaks for itself, and though Gearbox didn't do much to this one to finish it up I will remind you they took one of the most innovative fun FPS games of its time and made an even more fun sequel disguised as an expansion pack that featured a lot of primitive versions of things that are in the Maxim now (portal gun, squad-based shooting, etc.) Then they made Brothers in Arms and Borderlands. I'm pretty confident that these two companies can turn out a fun game. I also kindo of wish Duke Nukem 3D was on Xbox live now, I'm itching to play it.

Archived