Hondo's Bar

Duke Nukem Forever

The NZA

People give 3D Realms shit for Duke taking so long, but Prey had 10+ years of development gone. They're like Valve and Blizzard. It takes them forever to get shit done, but when they do it's well worth the wait. I think the main reason they rebooted so many times was due to the game falling behind what current FPS games were doing both graphically and gameplay-wise (the early teaser trailer reminded me a great deal of Half-Life in both style and execution) but at this point they're more or less putting this one discs already so I'm not concerned that the dream is dead.

As for being a disappointement, 3D Realms' track record speaks for itself, and though Gearbox didn't do much to this one to finish it up I will remind you they took one of the most innovative fun FPS games of its time and made an even more fun sequel disguised as an expansion pack that featured a lot of primitive versions of things that are in the Maxim now (portal gun, squad-based shooting, etc.) Then they made Brothers in Arms and Borderlands. I'm pretty confident that these two companies can turn out a fun game. I also kindo of wish Duke Nukem 3D was on Xbox live now, I'm itching to play it.

The reason wasn't that the game was falling behind it's that the lead kept seeing new shit and wanting it for himself, that game has been pretty good at just about every turn but they kept wanting to add new shit all the time and I'd like to add 3d relems never got shit done with duke, thats the whole point gearbox had to finish it cause they couldn't.

Frankly while people love valve and blizz( I do) I've always had issues with the way they develop. it's not like they are the only people to put out good games, and frankly I think super long dev cycles can cause problems too.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason wasn't that the game was falling behind it's that the lead kept seeing new shit and wanting it for himself, that game has been pretty good at just about every turn but they kept wanting to add new shit all the time and I'd like to add 3d relems never got shit done with duke, thats the whole point gearbox had to finish it cause they couldn't.

Frankly while people love valve and blizz( I do) I've always had issues with the way they develop. it's not like they are the only people to put out good games, and frankly I think super long dev cycles can cause problems too.

That also is incorrect. The head of Gearbox convinced 3D Realms to bring the Duke team on as part of their group, you see they never actually stopped working on it once it was cancelled, they just conitinued to work even though it wasn't theirs to make anymore. Gearbox just got them the funding and the few more months they needed to finish. So it was 3D Realms with a little push and assistance from Gearbox.

Their development cycle is absolutely annoying, but you can't argue with the end result.

• 3 weeks later...

That also is incorrect. The head of Gearbox convinced 3D Realms to bring the Duke team on as part of their group, you see they never actually stopped working on it once it was cancelled, they just conitinued to work even though it wasn't theirs to make anymore. Gearbox just got them the funding and the few more months they needed to finish. So it was 3D Realms with a little push and assistance from Gearbox.

Their development cycle is absolutely annoying, but you can't argue with the end result.

sure I can, I don't think it's going to be the mind blowing expereince that they wanted at the start of this mess, it took too fucking long, was a giant fucking mess. and it's vaporware...

Also what part was wrong, 3d relems coudn't finish the game because they went broke and then gearbox bought the rights(i'll have to look up if they bought the team too)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How's the game otherwise? I haven't bothered picking it up yet as I'm still balls-deep in inFamous, but am I missing any soon-to-be-meme stuff that I'll remain tragically out of the loop for forever if I don't play now?

That's the tricky thing though: I feel like if people are assessing this based on a 12 year development cycle and follow-up to a game that was pretty damned good, but has since become more-or-less canonised, then they're just setting themselves up for disappointment.

The demo didn't reach out and grab me, but then it solicited more of a response from people I wouldn't expect like your AU counterpart. I haven't checked in on him since though to see how he likes the full version. This is on my list, and it's high on the list because I loved Borderlands and trust Gearbox to make a game I'll enjoy, but I'm assessing it on it's own merit, sans hype.

I have not seen all those signs.

One thing I gather across the board is that it's just the exaggerated Duke personality and tasteless one liners with a game wrapped around it. Some people don't like that sort of thing. Some people don't like Bruce Campbell movies either.

yeah, im with JZA here (and what logans just said), some people got weird expectations of a duke game. that said, baytor (and PA) pointed out all the exciting things the series was doing years ago, so that aspect does have some shoes to fill.

curious to see if this at least fits in the dumb/fun shooter aspect of say serious sam.

I'm about 3 hours into the game and i'm enjoying it. My only complaint is that the game suffers from schizophrenia in the first hour. You do some run and gun then a turret section more run and gun a driving section and back to run and gun again. This part of the game feels rushed, but after you leave the casio it gets pretty solid. I was expecting Duke 3D HD Remix but the game feels different to 3D in a good way.

There was a stab at Halo early on in the game which I find annoying because The health meter and the ability to only hold 2 weapons at a time is ripped straight from Halo (just like every other FPS since 2001).

Duke himself is classic duke just the way we love him.

The game is very linear and story(ish) driven (again every FPS since 01) I don't know why they can't take a page from deus ex, aweseome story and wasn't too linear. I blame console gamers for this.

Multiplayer is ok. The main problem the servers are player hosted. WHY? I can't seem to find any dedicated servers at the moment. Bonus points for having Hollywood Holocaust as one of the MP maps though. Stock standard MP modes: DM, Team DM, CTF and King of the Hill. MP looks like it could be solid but because of the player hosting the is some bad lag issues. I'll have to come back to this later.

There is an CoD exp system that unlocks new costumes and titles for your MP Duke and a bachelor pad area where you can unlock some stuff for going up levels. Pictures of Duke, Babes, Pinball Machines ect.

So yeah DNF it took a while but it's not too bad.

I don't know why they can't take a page from deus ex, aweseome story and wasn't too linear. I blame console gamers for this.

still havent played it yet (soon though!), but Deus Ex is a WRPG, isn't it?

Multiplayer is ok. The main problem the servers are player hosted. WHY? I can't seem to find any dedicated servers at the moment.

blame yourself or god activision.

Archived