Hondo's Bar

Which "monster" genre should pop culture exploit next?

The NZA

Help hollywood out here  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

aw, see...i don't really want that.

again, i love good use of the monkey's paw "dont pull the mask off/show the monster" effect. if poorly used, sure, it's a cop-out; but i forget where i read this about the psychological effects of good horror rely on the monster being a) invincible, b) dead set on catching you, and c) unable to be seen/comprehended. like, i dont know what the girl saw at the end of

Martyrs

but i know speculating on it was mad interesting for me, and frankly, not many non-giger versions/looks at something like hell are going to have nearly the effect they should.

Paranormal Activity's a perfect example for me:

sure, we get JZA with CHIKN DEMN HURRRRR but honestly, the prints did kinda look that way and you know what would've wrecked it for me? catching a glimpse of anything remotely looking like a goddamn chicken demon.

unless you think the prospect of your monster is terrifying enough in its form - LL might argue for Fragile here, i think there's other examples im forgetting at the moment - i prefer seeing its effects or like axel said, the shaky-cam running from it thing...i still argue opening night at the original Blair Witch was halfway terrifying and awesome.

• 5 years later...

I don't remember what my initial vote was for. 6 years? Goddamn.

After seeing the Witch I want more dark satanic stories like that. Movies that make you feel like you need to see it again in case you missed a creepy figure in the background or something.

I don't remember what my initial vote was for. 6 years? Goddamn.

After seeing the Witch I want more dark satanic stories like that. Movies that make you feel like you need to see it again in case you missed a creepy figure in the background or something.

i haven't yet seen it (might be a halloweeen flick!) but i'd very much like more of that, yeah

Horror movies/Monster films and games tend to follow the trends of what our current fears are. I'm actually reading/listening to an essay right now about this exact topic. Logically, this means our next series of games/films will be about uneducated/not researched facebook posts.

Being the wannabe amateur cryptozoologist that I am, I would watch the SHIT out of a Bigfoot movie. And not a comedy like Harry and the Hendersons. It would be cool if it was a horror film! I'd also love love love a Cthulhu movie as long as the CGI was on point!

Working on my third novel now. It's Cthulhu mythos, but with Tsothoggua (and maybe the Deep Ones. I'm going for more of a yucky feeling than the horror feeling.) I do feel that CGI has reached the point of doing a passable mythos movie, but I keep coming up to the realization that the emotions in the mythos are really from giving the imagination time and space on the page to freak itself out. Not sure a movie can achieve that effect.

Also, if you're not getting the Bigfoot movie, you can always satisfy yourself with the books:

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B00CR2C1VK

Edited by Jumbie

Baytor droppin dat hotness. Still need to watch Exists.

I want more cryptid movies in general. lake monsters would be great (Champ!) and maybe something not shitty on the Mothman.

There was this book I always would rent from the school library about American monsters. it had some really creepy illustrations and some interesting stuff. i need to look it up.

A Rake movie would be pretty awesome too.