Hondo's Bar

Devil (Might Not) Cry 5

C_U_SPACECOWBOY

What is Capcom thinking.....

Continuing the trend of outsourcing big sequels to western studios, Capcom has unveiled Devil May Cry 5. This time, Ninja Theory is at the helm, the studio behind Heavenly Sword and the upcoming Enslaved.

tgs_trailer_screengrabs_026-noscale.jpg

key_image_layered_edited-1-noscale.jpg

tgs_trailer_screengrabs_018-noscale.jpg

tgs_trailer_screengrabs_007-noscale.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCcIiEBfdGs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCcIiEBfdGs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCcIiEBfdGs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Wow. Where to begin.

First off, I don't care for Ninja Theory's work, at least thus far. I thought Heavenly Sword was SPECTACULARLY average, and Enslaved doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Second, here's what Ninja Theory's Director said on stage at the unveiling "We're taking a younger Dante that incorporates the youth culture of today, from fashion to music to street art..."

WHAT?! I'm not even sure why you would want to do that or what that even means!? Was Dante dated? DMC takes place in a cracked-out alternate reality. It's modern and mythic at the same time. It can't be dated!!

What I really hear from that quote is "twilight is the biggest thing going now, so lets cash in by making dante an angsty emo teenage vampire like thing."

Fuck you Ninja Theory. Fuck you.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Yes, be angry that a series that has gone through five billion changes in its lifetime is going through yet another.

Christ, the game's about the combat and the story, and you know nothing of either except that he's being held prisoner in a city, tortured, and his hair is black. Is that really enough to be pissed off about?

...I was ok with how DMC 4 went honestly and I would not have minded more of Nero. This? I am REALLY on the fence about. I love this series but if they are just trying to make it "edgier" then part of me will die inside.

p.s: I LIKE the music in the DMC games fuckers, I don't need you going and fucking with that too. I mean we already lost Silent Hill...now this?

Edited by Bindusara

I'm ticked off about the outsourcing more than anything. I'll be honest, had capcom released that trailer in a vacuum I wouldn't be upset. I'd be confused, yes, but not upset. I'd just assume it was being done in-house, and while it was the most radical departure so far, at least it was in as competent hands as the previous entries.

Now, everything's in question.

Typically, it's bad news when sequels get outsourced. (How Dead Rising 2 turned out so true to the original (if we use Case: Zero as evidence), not to mention good is beyond me, and certainly the exception, not the rule.)

Now compound that with the fact that the director of Ninja Theory all but said that they were blatant pandering to "what's hot" in the aesthetics and design.

That's what's got me upset.

...I was ok with how DMC 4 went honestly and I would not have minded more of Nero. This? I am REALLY on the fence about. I love this series but if they are just trying to make it "edgier" then part of me will die inside.

p.s: I LIKE the music in the DMC games fuckers, I don't need you going and fucking with that too. I mean we already lost Silent Hill...now this?

Glad you mirror my sentiments Bindy. When all was said and done, I actually liked Nero, and DMC 4 felt like a big setup for things to come. Now that's all abandoned I guess...

Dude Heavenly Sword was awesome @.@ in terms of gameplay it kicked GoW's ass. As long as the action stays crazy, I'll be satisfied.

I gave Heavenly Sword an honest shake. I just couldn't help feeling 'Meh' about it. Of course I've always been 'Meh' about GOW also! LOL!

Psh, we lost the DMC music in DMC2 and we haven't been back since. At least this time, it sounds like they're getting actual talent.

I'LL LAUGH LAST SINCE YOU CAME TO DIE.

I'LL MAKE YOU WISH YOU HAD A SOUL TO SELL/AS I SEE THE FEAR CLEAR I'LL SEND YOU STRAIGHT TO HELL

Plus the remake of the original awesome battle theme? DMC4 was horrible. DMC3 wasn't much better. Don't pretend the lyrical background music is something horrible and NEW, it's something horrible and old.

There is no guarantee that this is the real Dante. There is no guarantee that that's his actual hair color, and not the machinations of the people who are imprisoning him and trying to mess with his identity through "rehabilitation." His coat looks alarmingly like Nero's, for the one thing.

yeah, lotta net-hate on poochie-dante. having not given an honest shit about DMC since 2 came out, this is easy to say, but:

1) Heavenly Sword was indeed a cool game, no idea some keep giving it "mediocre" - great presentation when the ps3 was early/hard to code for, i was already more interested than GOW. it's just short.

2) isnt this still a beat-em-up that has a stylized/basdass character with abysmal dialogue/plot?

3) its a young dante. he's into 70's brit-pop is my guess. something happens, his hair goes white/silver as the game progresses, and he dons a red jacket. fans are sated.

also, that said: i get space's complaint, no idea why Inafune's outsourcing all of the games that aren't his..its not like Capcom's team isnt talented enough to do this stuff themselves (theyve done the Monster Hunters, Lost Planet 2, several others recently), mebbe they're trying to reinvigorate some franchises like Nintendo letting team ninja handle metroid...not sure why they're calling this a sort've "reboot" though, i wasnt overly interested in what i saw of 4 but it was well received, as i recall?

mrtlkg.jpg

e97Ky.jpg

yeah, lotta net-hate on poochie-dante. having not given an honest shit about DMC since 2 came out, this is easy to say, but:

1) Heavenly Sword was indeed a cool game, no idea some keep giving it "mediocre" - great presentation when the ps3 was early/hard to code for, i was already more interested than GOW. it's just short.

2) isnt this still a beat-em-up that has a stylized/basdass character with abysmal dialogue/plot?

3) its a young dante. he's into 70's brit-pop is my guess. something happens, his hair goes white/silver as the game progresses, and he dons a red jacket. fans are sated.

also, that said: i get space's complaint, no idea why Inafune's outsourcing all of the games that aren't his..its not like Capcom's team isnt talented enough to do this stuff themselves (theyve done the Monster Hunters, Lost Planet 2, several others recently), mebbe they're trying to reinvigorate some franchises like Nintendo letting team ninja handle metroid...not sure why they're calling this a sort've "reboot" though, i wasnt overly interested in what i saw of 4 but it was well received, as i recall?

Wow really? Never played 3? Best one in the series. I got 4 if you wanna give that a whirl.

1)As for Heavenly Sword, yeah, it was good, just not great and quite frankly never came close to GoW 2 in the gameplay department (I think).

2)While I'm not hating on the game (yet...), I gotta throw my 2¢ out there on the design choice.

3)Yeah, the whole hair thing going from black to white is a bit intriguing but the overall feel is just not there for me. I mean, if Dante is this emo, I can't begin to imagine Vergil.

Again:

rihanna-gorgeous.jpgrihanna-bruises-photo-1.jpg?w=350&h=468

no6lgl.jpg

Edited by Losifer

*shrugs* its more my fault, really. ive got 3 here and its interesting/hard but i never stuck with it, not sure if i burned myself out on Onimusha and the like, but ive got very little interest in playing GOW3, ninja gaidens, this series etc. knowing 4 recycles stuff is even more discouraging...i think the last one i manged to enjoy at all was Bayonetta, and that had more to do with the sega-love. Heavenly Sword had a few things going for it, for me: a martial arts world/setting (with good presentation, past all the screen tears...), and the fact that nothing was going on for the PS3 in '07.

i get knocking the design choice (kinda playing :devil: 's advocate here, since its getting shat on so hard almost universally), the genre's stale for me either way though. unless its doing something fun/new like No More Heroes (or hopefully Shadow of the Damned), i'm out. if Ninja Theory can make this seem interesting (landscape shots look good/detailed), i could be swayed, twilight-dante or not.

1zyueti.jpg

Jesus that is Rihanna...

ok, he is stupid looking. But hopefully fan backlash will change that (it just worked for Infamous2). Im still up for everything else. I'm a total sucker for gritty reboots (lookin at you Mortal Kombat: Rebirth.)

DMC3 is the best made one imo, despite it being hard as fuck. But I think i've had as much of the old Dante as I can take. Don't make him emo.... but don't keep him as a goddamn Ninja Turtle either. If they are gonna do that, just put a freaking Ninja Turtle in there.

uhm, yeah, I kinda have to chime in here.

Preface: my alias Dante came before the DMC series, as I was reading Inferno

That said, Devil May Cry is one of my favorite series. I actually just popped in DMC4 on my PS3 two nights ago and have been playing that for a while. I've played and beaten all of them. I've stuck with the series through thick and thin, bad storylines, cheesy ass sayings (I still roll my eyes, heh), and insanely difficult bosses. But that's what I like about the series. Dante with the black hair and the boy band attitude. Ok, maybe this is his origin. This is how we see this brit-punk emo boy turn into a cheesy one-line, trench coat wearing badass. or maybe we just see a glimpse of that and he really does sparkle in the sunlight throughout the whole game.

I believe we've already seen a younger version of Dante in DMC3 but that's neither here nor there. I guess they decided that it wasn't far enough into his past to really get him.

Now, maybe we'll get a really good story out of this. I mean, it may not be King, Grisham, Koontz, Chaucer, Milton, Hemmingway, Adams pick your poison, but maybe it'll be more than, "hey, I got a case for you, go solve it and discover more obscure things about your family."

What I do want to see is an end to the mission thing. Although I do see it's appeal: you can section off the game and come back to parts where you think you could have done better, it doesn't make for a storylined game. The bosses all come back, but you're stronger, have more health, weapons, and abilities you didn't have the last go around? Of course you're gonna do better.

All that aside, it's a wait and see for me. Honestly, I'm not gonna play something that doesn't interest me. But I guess I'm flexible. I know I'm gonna buy it, add it to my collection. The important thing is, will I play it and not want to kill myself.

(if the post sounds disjointed I'm at work and going back and forth between this and work stuff)

See? Even Dante's not immediately dismissing Dante. Dante would know.

I was playing Bayonetta last night, and remembering how much I freaking love this genre.

I'm always of the mind to give something a chance before you root it a new asshole. Like if someone says they don't like sushi, but have never tried it.

"Ewwww, raw fish in seaweed?"

"Noooo, you can't cook a burger in the microwave!"

"Mehhhh, Gunfights are dangerous!"

How do you know if you never try!!!!? :sarcasm: