Hondo's Bar

Devil (Might Not) Cry 5

C_U_SPACECOWBOY

I think that's one of the things that has me ticked off, did this series NEED a reboot? Capcom and Ninja Theory are being coy, no doubt placating the fans, and saying 'We get to see how Dante becomes the Dante we know and love.'

But if it's a reboot, this is new canon, so he's not going to become the Dante we know and love.

Honestly, I think they just need to keep thier mouths shut and let the game speak for itself at this point. The more Capcom and Ninja Theory try to explain themselves, the worse it gets.

• 8 months later...

Wow. I can't believe I didn't hear a PEEP about this trailer from the E3 coverage. You know, I thought that trailer was actually interesting. I liked the bloody dynamic typography and it seems they're are exploring some dual world scenario which might be cool. The transformation of the world looks good, and the gameplay actually inspires a little hope in me. It helps that I really love that Glitch Mob track they used it the trailer. Huge departure from the typically sonic offereings of the series, but man, if Glitch Mob did the entire soundtrack for DmC, wow. Still, I can't put my finger on it, but something about it reminds me of DMC2.....

Regardless I am intrigued. DmC might not be a complete disaster afterall. Nick, right now, I say we tentatively change the name of this thread to 'Devil Might (not) Cry 5".

Of course, wouldn't THIS be incredible if Capcom could somehow let it happen.....

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Got the chance to play the first three missions of the full retail version this past Sunday. While the demo quelled my concerns about gameplay, after playing the final build, I'm a bit concerned about the difficulty. I jumped straight into Nephilum (the hardest difficultly available at start) and was able to beat the first boss without getting hit. Also I was consistently getting triple S on score and double S on time on the first run (You now get ranked for completion as well, which I typically got C's or D's on, as I wasn't hunting for collectibles, but still ended up with S rank or SS rank overall mission completion). This NEVER happend in previous games in the series; there were notoriously strict margins for time and scoring, even on the easier difficulties. Granted there are still Son of Sparda and Dante must Die to unlock, but it's a bit concerning if they dummied down the scoring system.

Still excited to pick this up today.

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

I'm sure you are going to Plat this with your eyes closed Mal. Like I said, I was S ranking missions without even trying. Also, the style system is WAY more forgiving, giving you tons of time to link things without breaking your combo. During combat the Rank would fade out completely (which would mean you were back to scratch in the old games, but as soon as I hit someone else it'd pick up right where I left off.

i mean, sure. thing is, i understood DMC was a beat-em-up with some depth, more in league with bayonetta or ninja gaiden than say god of war. the more casual approach they took here could possibly piss off some of the core fanbase more than the aesthetics.

but i'm not a huge fan of the franchise that's waited 5 years or so for something, so maybe folks'll make do. i just figure series "reimagining" by different teams takes the huge risk of pleasing no one (also see: Uncrofted Tomb Raider)