Hondo's Bar

Phantasy Star Online 2.0

The NZA

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The big change from past PSO games as far as pricing goes is that PSO2 will be free-to download and play. It will use an item transaction system, meaning you'll need to pay for some items.

PC and Vita owners won't have the game all to themselves. Sega announced a smartphone version, which will be released on iOS and Android.

The smartphone version will be different from the PC and Vita version. The PC and Vita versions offer cross platform play. The smartphone version will just share data with the two versions

There will also be a Smartphone version for both iOS and Android.

Sega also says that the smartphone version will offer simpler character creation, and a simpler control experience, complete with social game elements. Sega says to expect a more "personal" and "simple" experience compared to the other two versions.

The PC version of PSO2 will be arriving first (as previously promised), with service planned to begin in early summer. The smartphone version will come next, in Winter 2012. The Vita version is due in Spring 2013.

Souce: http://andriasang.com/con0dx/pso2_detailed/

pretty smart moves all around on Sega's part there, also increases chances of both localization and support. This could be pretty big right here.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

there's already groups keeping an extra memory card & fomatting/swapping to play this one, as it's free on JPN account i'm told...ive got an extra 8GB at the moment (recommended size, as it needs a bit've space) but it's a lotta trouble, gonna wait & see what sega says by e3

• 6 years later...

Phantasy-Star-Online-2-image-696x344.png

PSO2 is about to launch on the Xbox insider Beta Friday. Rumors say it should launch on steam soon (no set date yet) and other platforms TBH. It is free to play, has tons of content since its been going in Japan for some time. 

Any PSO fans here and anyone going to jump in when it comes out? I know I'm going to do some streaming of the beta this weekend. Between this and Locke and Key my weekend is set!

Most def. Ill be livestreaming it on an off all weekend when I'm not watching Locke and Key. Pretty much already have my character planned out as much as I can without having the game in front of me. New classes look cool. Loving the idea of dual classing like you could in FFXI. There seem to be some minor things some people won't like because its free to play (you can only have 2 characters, 1 mag per character without buying, buying more inventory spaces is cash, some cosmetics are cash only) but nothing is paywalled content wise. There's even like a season pass kinda thing that you can completely buy with currency you can earn in game (like EVE). 

Either way, i'm HYPED. It's one of the few games i've bought on multiple consoles (well, I mean PSO1 - I own it for dreamcast, xbox, and gamecube). I think m first character is going to be my usual go to - human ranger. Like FFXI and 14, you can swap classes at any time with the same character so you don't have to make 50 characters to get things done. 

Oh and for the people in the beta? If you do certain quests you can get a Dreamcast mag! 

• Like 1

that all sounds so good.  i'm crazy jelly of the DC mag, was just gonna ask if there were sega ones...still bummed i lost my old DC data with my opa-opa mag.

class swapping on the go sounds like a really cool way to experiment too, even if i just know i'll do yet another dual-wielding hunter eventually.

• Like 1

Welp, I got in this weekend despite some server hickups (obviously, it was a beta and to be expected). 

What I saw:  A lot of people on. vets helping new players and everyone overall having a blast. 

PSO but *faster*: The game is fast. As a ranger in PSO 1 i remember standing, shooting 3 times slowly and then moving. Not here. Movement is the name of the game my dude. You can jump, run and fully use the 3D environment to your advantage.

You can make time for it unlike other MMOs:  Theres a lot of MMOs out there that feel like a slog. PSO2 is built with quick quests in mind. A list of dailies can get you some needed XP (in fact youll get most of your XP from quests not mobs from what i can tell) most missions flew by without much effort once you got into the groove of them. 

You can miss out on things:  Not a huge deal by any means, but there's "critical missions" huge fights where multiple parties band together that tend to be on a global timer, so if you want to hit one of those up you might want to check to see when they are happening - but thats not all....

Not every event is based around combat: I shit you not, there was a concert. I wasen't there for it, because it was Saturday night and I had shit to do...

Overall, its FTP, and I will be sinking more time into it since I didn't have a ton of time to this weekend. There should be a steam release shortly after the Xbox one so everyone can jump in. 

Edited by Bindusara
  • Like 1