Hondo's Bar

Dark Souls

The NZA

• 3 weeks later...

avimY.jpg

goddammit.

Classes, trophies, early reviews (high!), it's all out there. latest detail as the 360 version as being more punishing than usual: allegedly 40 seconds of loading each time you die (hopefully, that's uninstalled?). Between this and claims that From got MS to not allow chatting/party chat on XBL during the game (so awesome), it sounds like xbox players are really going to get a taste of what Demons Souls was like!

new wiki is here, woop woop! also, dude with the copy answered this:

How are loading times?

Depends on which bonfire you lit before you died. If you lit the closest one, it's about 10s, otherwise it's more like 15 seconds (I didn't time it, just a guess).

Mandatory/optional install?

Nope, although save files are quite big (8.5 megs) and copy protected (!)

about: Compression

Looking at the back of the disc, the ps3 version doesn't even exceed the 6,8 gigs limit of a regular 360 game.

How far along are you?

Not really far yet, I'm already stuck at a demon and currently levelling up as much as possible. I'm still in the same area shown in the video with the long loading times. It plays more or less the same as demon's souls, albeit with a bit more linearity and no Nexus.

about: framerate

Pretty smooth, but with some drops if there's a lot of blood/fire/alpha effects

oh god must tear myself away from reading about super-factions, shit

• 2 weeks later...

I heard about this today via one of my podcasts. I'm surprised no one beat me to this:

Playing the game early? Black Phantoms have been sent to hunt you down.

If you're one of the players who's got their hands on a pre-release copy of Dark Souls, be warned: killer Black Phantoms are on your tail.

As reported on Japanese blog Esuteru (and translated by Edge), developer From Software has sent out spectral nasties to hunt down early players of the game.

The max-level Black Phantoms have 1900 HP, with a score of 99 in all their base stats. If you're already playing the game and one of these bad boys pays you a visit, you are going to die.

Dark Souls is released in Japan tomorrow, so guilty parties will get some respite then. There's no mention of whether From Software will repeat this trick over here, but it's certainly a clever maneuver.

yeah, good call on posting it, but i think we all know it (ive privately talked about how jealous i am of those dudes dying to a number of these guys), but so far, it's me, newt, mal, los, and im not sure who else is joining us on the PS3 version of this day 1, hoping Logan does the right thing, maybe you too bindy. Demons' Souls was a really unique experience this gen (and im not even that big on multiplayer), being in on the ground floor of this sounds so exciting.

HYPED FOR DEATH

Got my Collector's Edition and it comes with a download for the soundtrack, and like a mini-strat guide, and I don't want it, so if someone just jizzed in their pants reading I am giving this stuff away, then let me know you want it (no mentions of jizz or jizz related imagery pls) and I'll send the code and info your way.

I love how the back of the box basically says the game is so hard, the achievements will actually mean something.

• Upvote 1

this game is so goddamn awesome. you're a man when you survive a level, a god when you can handle a boss. i am not yet a god.

mortiis, i mostly only had some precum going, but id be down for your digi stuff since best buy gypped me out of my LE.

going back in to try the bell tower again. talked to newt last night, he's waiting on his amazon copy (at least he got an LE!), but yeah, everyone should be playing this.

is anyone still on the fence? let me paint it for you this way: given that Demons Souls >>>>>>>>>>> Oblivion, it's a safe bet to jump on this and buy Skyrim when it's like $20 (or wait for GOTY! cause it's going to take you that long to finish this superior game anyway).

ps it's dangerous to go alone! take this.

oh man

i feel safe saying this here, instead of your precious skyrim thread which i'm so itching to troll: Oblivion was shit. another boring Tolkein rip with a buggy engine, boring story, repeating-ass NPCs with that same "my lord" bullshit. people spent more time modding on PC than playing it. reskinning/optimizing/making it interesting and calling it Fallout 3 was the best move Bethesda made.

Demons Souls >>>>>>>>>>> Fallout 3 >>>>>>> Katamari on PSP with one hand > Oblivion

in your words, these are facts. also, given that you have 0 trophies in DS, no my friend, you didn't play it; you were a tourist. there's a metric fuckton of depth, but you gotta get into it, read some wiki, and really push forward even when it's humbling you all day...and it will.

Very, very different experiences, slightly similar only in setting but where i'm bored to tears of tolkein-wank, darken that shit up and make it brutal like Berserk and i'm in love.

also, i garuntee you a fresh +10 if you do the right thing & join us on PS3, man. i gotta look it up, but in part 1, there was like a 10 or so level limit on assists? and id love to ride out on a boss with you once i get my big boy pants on and handle these Gargoyles. Maldron knows what's up.

ps big-time :FHD: to mortiis for hooking up the LE content; again man, next time i'm grabbing smoothies with DKS i'm gonna slap his shit.

OBLIVION IS TOO GOOD FOR YOU!

Also, given that you have 0 achievements in Oblivion, no my friend, you didn't play it; you were a tourist.

You couldn't pay me to play this on the PS3, sorry (well, you probably could, but you won't). One reason is that I have a VGA adapter for the 360. I play games on an adjacent computer monitor while the wife watches shit on TV, so there's no conflict and she isn't stuck just watching me play games all night (cuz I'm not always a selfish cunt). I have no such device for the PS3, so any game I plan on putting time on, I play on 360.

And also because it's superior gaming console in every way.

how can there be so much wrong in one post, i dont know where to start

1) played it on PS3. i got to the coliseum, so you're right that i didnt beat it, because it's borrrring. but i got further than you did in DS by a country mile, man. wanna say i logged 10+ hours in, that's giving the game a fair shake.

2) your fanboy antics are adorable, says newtype

3) sorry you're whipped? us selfish cunts get by just fine, and play things on bigger screens.

4) didnt know you were on VGA/monitor. that works too, just assumed you were doing this via HDMI.

troll back all you want bro, i really just thought it'd be fun to help you get started & ease into the experience, los did this for me and again shit just clicked sometime after. play it however you like, but let me say from experience, if you quit early & dont see what lies beyond, you'll miss out is all. i genuinely just wanted to make this half as exciting for you as it's been for me/los/mal so far (newt too, soon): there's honestly nothing like this going this gen at all.

now that my serious paragraph is done: dear logans, i believe i have only stated opinions as objective, empirical fact a total of 3 times prior here in my 10 years or so. here they are:

1) braveheart > gladiator

2) the good, the bad & the ugly > your favorite flick once upon a time in the west

3) preacher > hitman (sorry 2 out of 3 are aimed at you, baytor, but you complete me this way)

i try to reserve these moments. i havent even used on in the hip-hop thread! but here's a 4th:

4) demons souls > oblivion

bookmark this thread! point at it if i claim another, but it's hard, hot science, man. Skyrim might very possibly be too good for me from your view, i dont see myself giving it a go after not enjoying Oblivion like that (trying to remember when i booted it for 360), but yeah, there it is!

Edited by The NZA
image-jack

1) getting to the arena in a sandbox game means nothing. So you killed some mudcrabs, wandered aimlessly for a bit and went to the arena? Cool. Y'know what else is boring> A blank piece of paper and a pen. Some shit takes some gumption and imagination to get the most out of.

2) I was just trolling to fuck with you

3) It has nothing to do with being whipped! She doesn't even request this sort of thing, but when someone is as HARDCORE as I was, it's pretty fucked up to take the TV for 12 hours a day. Plus, I got used to watching/listening to movies and such while I play, so it isn't purely altruistic. It also isn't 100% of the time, it's completely at my discretion. Bless her heart, she's never said shit about me taking up the TV all night when I do, ever, but I do things out of common courtesy because I have a healthy relationship and if I'm capable of improving her enjoyment of her time off, I will.

4) I am. I currently have 3 monitors and a big ass TV parallel in my living room. TV, computer and a couple of consoles can all be going at once, I switch between the output. I DO actually tend to use the VGA cable for both the monitor and TV though because I feel it gives a more vibrant image, with more aspect control than HDMI.

1) Yes

2) Clearly

3) NO SHIT!

4) Maybe? My (mostly inflated for humor's sake) umbrage comes with calling it shit, when it's really just not your cup o' tea. I would never call DS shit. But, while we're on it, it has clunky controls (which you will no doubt consider refined because of what a Man you are) and lacks some polish, but I also own it. I no doubt would have played it more if I didn't get it around the time I pretty much gave up gaming for awhile and threw myself into writing.

Edited by Thelogan

okay, yeah, fair enough. and i forgot how many hours your massive achievement list likely takes, so sarcasm aside, yeah, that's prolly a good thing of you to do. i guess id consider the same but a) that plasma is so mine and b) thankfully sen is good with phones, tablets soon hopefully.

you might be right that i didnt get a whole lot farther than what you said there, but mixing my reservations with sandboxes & what strikes me as bad plot (meaning, i wander about and dont return to do what im supposed to...see: GTA and beating hookers) with a setting that decades of JRPGs had as a default and it just feels shitty, where i was sold "something really good to play in '07 when NOTHING was going on with the PS3" is all. after that and Dragon Age, ive learned my lesson. the gameplay isnt shit, but there's almost nothing there for me. ive had people on the same wavelegnth tell me that by no means should i rule out morrowind & older chapters because of this, though.

no, the controls in DS aren't setting the world on fire; they purposely have some lag and you will frequently die trying to just eat a fucking potion. and the visuals likewise werent worth writing home about (though i think this game looks so good in comparison! mostly lighting, granted), but given how tiy FROM's budget is, i think the art direction really carried the muddied textures on its back, and that's even with the framerate drops, which are also present this go around. likewise, the you will die once in a while because the camera does not give a fuck.

but 95% of the time, i died for rushing in or breaking pattern or any number of complex reflexes & strategy it called for, so i called it fair most times.

WHY I'M NOW CLEARLY A VIRAL MARKETER FOR THE FRANCHISE: its no secret that most multiplayer experiences (especially non co-op) are wasted on me, but this is the coolest goddamn use of online ive seen. you can see people on your server, you can click on blood spots to watch them die, etc. this time around? you can gain from their victories, you can summon them (or be summoned!) in the right form, and there's all kinds of cool shit in a game that all but encourages griefing: i.e., let's say i invade your world and promptly fuck your shit up. for 200 souls, you can buy an item to put my name in one faction's hit-list, and now, im hunted for my dickery. there's so much stuff like this going on that the game does what ive never seen prior - makes me feel isolated and full of dread and hopelessness while others around me are feeling the same. i love +1'ing the notes about for "use (x) on this boss" or "good luck!" because whoever left em gets a full heal when i do, however much later.

we're all connected in this pit of despair, and it makes the victories so much bigger, i think. if i just wanted a mean game to put hair on my chest, i guess id play more Ninja Gaidens, but this one offers that with a lot more when you dig in. fuck, i tie this one up, id be tempted to rent it on 360 just to assist you & morti.

Now you're talkin'.

I also have half a dozen other friends getting it on 360, it sways things a bit.

You don't have to convince me this is a cool game, I was sold a long time ago. I've been reading the Gamefaqs message board for a few days now (this is how I vicariously enjoy games I don't have/ learn not to kill valuable NPC's)

I'm gonna drop the Oblivion talk after this, but it actually had a pretty cool plot, with some genuinely inspiring moments. You just have to actually do the main story quests. It doesn't force your progression. Shivering Isles is also pretty fucking grand. I thoroughly enjoyed becoming the god of madness several times. I personally think it's a more refined and enjoyable experience than the main game.

Mmkay, I think I'm gonna go get this in a few.

NIZZLERS! Recommend me a solid starting class. I assume class isn't going to mean shit in the long run, but I'm sure some are going to provide a more difficult starting experience.

I do not want a more difficult starting experience.

dark-souls.gif

Boo urns on you rich folk for making me jelly while im budget gaming with just now beating bayonetta. hopefuly they wont whip a sequel as quick as they did with this one so i can get a chance to at least rent this sucker. too many good games coming this quarter.

You guys are arguing a moot point...

The Witcher >>>>>>> Oblivion/DS...I enjoyed and put my fair shair into Oblivion and Demon Souls, but the Witcher was better than both in terms of story, gameplay, graphics, everything. So as long as you guys know that, continue your meaningless squabble. Much love!!

Witcher 2, from what ive heard, is a contender! 1, from what i played....nah. took it further than Oblivion, though!

TODAY IS A GLORIOUS DAY, for a certain boss(es) are no more. :cheerleader: fuck them! great fight though.

logans:

- congrats! yeah man, i was gonna push that angle more too, cause we've a strong community for it (at any given point, more than half my friends signed on are playing it), but i commented to mal that i'm not seeing as many ghosts (other players) about as i should, given said community. apparently both systems got split servers, which kinda sucks...that said, playing as a human, ive yet to be invaded, but ive got summons for assists out the ass. there's already dudes lining up to join you & kill shit, and half of them take a bow after it. it's hilarious.

as for starting out class: let me get back to you. the concensus in part 1 was Royal, because you started with the ability to do low-class but long range spells. youre right that it matters fuckall as you go on (there's so many varying builds, you can really make your guy however you want as long as youre willing to level & put the right stats into it), but i wanna say GAF had a short list of who starts out more prepared for the tutorial level and slightly beyond, and my Wanderer was 2nd from the bottom, heh - but i consider it the role-playing bit of the game, so i cant help it. plus, i'm a melee guy, even when it clearly takes me several days to beat a $#@%ing boss.

i know mal's a pyro, i think Sen was gonna try that class too. here's a few important bits for starting out in general:

-unless you're really gonna work on a tank that holds top-tier armor, tower shields etc, you're likely gonna wanna learn patterns and dodge more than block, at least on bosses and huge enemies. to do this effectively, you have to keep your weight to less than half of your max - shit in your inventory screen matters not; shit you keep on you (the next screen over, where you map hotkeys and such) does, and the last number on every item is its weight. this is crucial: if you go over half your max, you can't really run, and dodging leaves you super-vulnerable instead of saving you from a deathblow.

-souls are of course currency, but you almost never want to buy weapons, armor etc...i know, its fucking backwards from RPG mentality, but you want what you find way more, and you want your souls to level you. sure, buy items where you need them, repair shit, stock up on arrows when you've a bow, etc but leveling is the majority of why you want your souls back so fucking bad when you die. trust me, some folks beat demons souls with the armor they started with. not even counting rare drops, you will find better shit as you go, and this one seems to have even more shit - i.e., i just lopped off a boss' tail and it's a goddamn axe now.

-Los & basically everyone who is better than me says learn to parry. its not just awesome, you get more souls for doing so. i platted part 1 and barely did it, but i really should learn. R1 hits, R2 hits hard and leaves you open. L1 blocks, L2 swings your shield - if you do the latter at just the right moment before a hit, game goes to slow mo and you see an opening, taking it is about as devastating as a back attack (sneak up slowly on enemies, lock on and stab their shit up close when you can too!), with a bonus. just always mind the green meter under your health, if you're low on stamina, you cant run, dodge, or even block heavy hits.

more to come, hope that's a decent start in lieu of the answer you actually wanted, heh.

PS i know its early on but...Dark Souls wiki: Y U SO USELESS