Hondo's Bar

Dark Souls

The NZA

Witcher 2, from what ive heard, is a contender! 1, from what i played....nah. took it further than Oblivion, though!

Well I was trying to keep it at about the right time frame. If I can include new games, then there are quite a few better than Oblivion and Demon Souls. But are we only talking console games or what?

Because The Witcher 2 blows the first Witcher out of the water, except the end of the story apparently, but I am not there yet, so it is still an awesome game. So The Witcher 2>Oblivion/DS. But between the two... I would have to go with Oblivion. With the expansion and all the mods you can add it is just a lot more enjoyable than Demon Souls. And if we are just talking like console versions of the two games...then I would probably go with Demon Souls. Obliion to me just seemed like one dull dark tunnel after another, got very repetative at times. Demon Souls also had it's dank dark corridors, but it is just differet enough to give it an edge over Oblivion, and not just the difficulty.

Taking a bit of a break, because I'm getting tired of yelling "FUCK".

I went with a Bandit, seems a solid starter for a melee oriented character. Decent axe,light armor, good shield, dumb as a box of rocks (I'm going to need to avoid my usual min/max instincts here though).

i have yet to tire of that! but i desperately need a bow soon.

i like that we're documenting our anger. logans, i recall hearing bandit and thief are tough classes at first - who's giving you trouble in the asylum? let me guess

so wish i could log back in tonight and try that black knight, feeling cocky after ringing my first bell.

ah, good - yeah, he can be a pain at first. firebombs help, but my thing was that the bridge is too tight to effectively move around him. few things that helped me:

1) locking on is usually crucial, but when i needed to get to the other side/was getting cornered, id literally unlock the camera and walk between his legs, then haul ass.

2) biggest thing to help damage him - turn around and climb that ladder behind you where the snipers were. dont stay up there long; he'll jump. fall off the edge & swing on your way down; you're vulnerable after but you do way more damage that way. a few rounds of those and he should be done.

I pretty much did #2. Once he appeared, I hauled ass to the ladder, did a dropping attack on his head, then ran to the middle and drank. Ran back to the ladder, did it again and then just hit him like 2 more times.

And went up like 5 levels from all the souls I'd left laying on the bridge, lol.

so wish i could log back in tonight and try that black knight, feeling cocky after ringing my first bell.

I killed that cunt, he dropped a big sword that requires like 32 strength, but it's still cool.

I tried fighting him like a MAN for quite some time, and then I noticed that when he walks into the fire it fucks him up (down by where the warthog dude was). So I just chilled behind the highest fire blocking, he did his big shield breaker thing and I had to roll away and drink. I hid behind the fire again and he died.

Cheap? Possibly. But effective.

say whaaaaat - ima go kill him now

yeah Logans, just a heads-up about all the manly talk with Demons' Souls: most of us cheesed some bosses where we could. this game will get a lot easier when people find those angles - i.e., the first boss here is much like the Maneaters of world 3 of Demons', but there was one angle you could look through the gray mist/portal and tag the first one with arrows, a few hundred or whatever would kill him and the make the fight infinitely more bearable with his brother. i totally found a way to cheese old king Doran (dude had amazing armor on him and was damn near invincible) by using a weapon that'd push him back, took me almost a half hour to get him to a high enough staircase but that did it.

so yeah, congrats on figuring that shit out man! that's also part of the experience. oh, Los and mal might tell you you should face bosses on equal ground and all that, but i summoned some dude with light arrows to help me take down those gargoyls, so nuts to that! dead is dead.

ah, i havent kindled yet - how many flasks did you get for it?

its funny, cause mal made the same comment i did - didnt think to try firebombs cause those guys makes fire, so it seemed unwise. that's what i get for not trying them! sitting on a stockpile after that first big demon.

ps i cannot find a fucking bow, only crossbows which i forget if you can aim them or not. really dont want to put 1k souls into buying a small bow but i do want to fuck up that red wyvern shit before leaving this area.

I snuck into the area with the trees, ran past the big dude by the blacksmith, if you follow a winding mountain path to the right (there's a note that says there's a path), you find a body that has a set of leather armor and bow/arrows.

Each time you kindle it gives you 5 extra flasks everytime you spawn at that bonfire...forever. Having 10/15 makes one hell of a difference.

ah, never did find that path - caved & bought the bow. wyvern's tail takes hits, he drops nothing though. gonna try hitting his face soon.

yeah, ive heard that guy's a bitch, looking forward to him! went to go take on your black knight, got the weirdest glitch yet - i kept trying to egg him down the stairs, until finally, i went all the way up like "where the fuck is this guy?" and then BAM HE'S SOMEHOW BEHIND ME, BACKSTABBING. i dont even know how, but im going back for fiery revenge.

okay, so logan's a goddamn genius for adding black knight + fire, nice one man. i got a chunk of something ill likely farm for later on.

where is everyone shooting this red wyvern that makes him go away? tail, face, it all just upsets him. im thinking ill have to come back when i have arrows not made from q-tips. also, why is no one +1'ing my in-game messages this time around? THEYRE SUPER HELPFUL

under the bridge, where you fought one sword guy, one spear guy crept around a tight ledge, and after that you went through a tunnel and fought 3 sewer rats (lotta guys farm humanity here); where you came in & fought that first sword guy, that's likely where you saw the "sniper spot" message. its right there, but every time you hit his tail, he's gonna move. no idea how many arrows you gotta pump into him, either.

I forgive the game for being an asshole to me, i signed up for that, but I will not forgive humanity.

I'm trying to kill the gaping dragon, I was human when I went there the first time and saw summon things on the way, but I didn't use them because I didn't know what I was in for.

So now I've been using humanity and trying to get to the boss, every time, EVERY TIME some different asshole black phantom pops into my world and murders me before I get there.

I've got the thing that banishes them, but I guess they have to be right on front of you or some shit?

So,I've now wasted 3 humanity on nothing because people are pricks.

jesus shit, logan. that sucks man, sorry to hear that. mal was saying before that on the way to the gargoyle demon lair, there was one just waiting everytime. and yeah, summons are awesome; i cant wait to get better and become one myself. wish i could help. how're you statted/outfited right now?

im at lvl 25, 16 STR and like 25 DEX, just put a few into endurance to hold more & have more stamina. beat the capra demon on try # 2 but only because i got his dogs early, and found that stairwell to the right. gives time to potion up, and if he hits you shit is devastating, but if he falls down after you, you can get a good 3-4 hits in. coupled with the drake sword from that asshole red wyvern's tail, and i did alright. plus, i dont look like a bum now, thanks to the thief or whatever gear right outside!

got a key, looking for the door when i log back on. hoping for less trouble ringing bell # 2 but mal has made this sound as very wishful thinking. i love that all of us are on tonight too, heh.

Yeah, I eventually got lucky on the Capra, took out the dogs early. let him follow me up the stairs a couple of times, then jumped down and hit him when he followed, then I ran up the stairs and did a drop attack on his head.

Turns out I didn't even need a summon for gaping dragon. He's super predictable and slow, just don't get greedy when you hit him. He slams, charges and then stops. I would run in, hit him twice and run away. Over and over and over. Took awhile, but he only hit me once.

Level 34, 32 str, 17 dex, 15 vit/end

One more dex for the black knight sword!

Currently in Blight Town. It's an awful place.

i keep hearing that, motherfuckers are grateful to exit it apparently.

man, you're moving up quick, mal's in the 50's...i know i havent had much time to play, and i sightsee too much. are you guys grinding much as you go? the only time i find myself doing this is when i notice ive a few thousand souls and get paranoid about losing them, retreat to a campfire & grind out a level then move on so when i die and lose the new few hundred i dont really mind as much.

any spells going? i havent needed to buy heal since the flask is reusable (though i could always use more), but im so needing a buff. that's literally the only way i was able to hang with some bosses in 1 - if anyone melee'd the flamelurker without water veil, fuck i'm impressed. gonna do a quick run & get back into the game soon.

I guess maybe I'm kinda good at videogames.

Not going out of my way to grind, I just die a lot and have to fight my way back. I also explore pretty extensively before I move on to what I know is a new area.

Just truckin' my way through the game, really.

I haven't even touched magic. My dude is pretty much retarded and unfaithful.

yeah, i'm about the same. unless you end up wanting the "all spells" trophy (heh, like you're gonna pass), what mainly happens for me is that you see a spell you gotta have, and start pumping into faith or whatever just to use it. past the heal/buff i mentioned, the big one last game was soulsucker or something like that, though it didnt open until new game+ - sneak up on an enemy & gank em like you would for a backstab, get something like twice as many souls. Los showed me the spot and this literally took a few hours of my life & became my new home until my level was in the triple digits.

what's hilarious is that new game + still beat me silly. its like a fucking megaman game that lets you keep all your new toys and says "fuck you, they don't do shit anyway". but yeah, unless you want the trophy later (god knows you can up your faith/intel anytime anyway), just keep an eye out if you see a spell you think you'd get use out of. my dumbass got all kinds've interesting attack/ranged ones for the trophy last time that likely wouldve made my life a lot easier on bosses, but fuck that, i had sharp objects.