Hondo's Bar

Man Of Steel - Zack Snyder done directed hisself a new Superman flick

Panch

I turned off autocorrect, and my phone still likes to add words. Like if I'm using bb code manually, it adds a word after the last bracket when I hit space. Every time.

I bet I can turn that off too, but it isn't obvious and I haven't had the gumption to dig.

Fucka phones.

David S. Goyer: "We're Approaching MAN OF STEEL As If It Weren't A Comic Book Movie..."

73389.jpg

Man of Steel scribe David S. Goyer talks in detail here about this realistic take on Superman, making it clear that the fact that he is an alien will play a pivotal role in how the world views him. He also dismisses using a tone similar to that on Richard Donner's take on the iconic DC superhero.

Josh Wilding - 1/28/2013

425364763564758.jpg

"We're approaching Superman as if it weren't a comic book movie, as if it were real," writer David Goyer told Empire in the latest issue of the magazine. As you should already know, Goyer played a key role in helping craft Christopher Nolan's realistic take on Batman, so it perhaps should come as no surprise that he decided to bring this same aesthetic to Man of Steel (and if nothing else, that means we probably shouldn't expect another Superman Returns). "I adore the Donner films. Absolutely adore them. It just struck me that there was an idealist quality to them that may or may not work with today's audience. It just struck me that if Superman really existed in the world, first of all this story would be a story about first contact."

"He's an alien. You can easily imagine a scenario in which we'd be doing a film like E.T., as opposed to him running around in tights. If the world found out he existed, it would be the biggest thing that ever happened in human history," he added when talk turned to how exactly you bring a character like Superman into a world similar to our own. "It falls into that idea of trying to humanise the inhuman. He's made out of steel, he's not made out of flesh, metaphorically speaking. We are portraying him as a man, yet he's not a man." So, Goyer clearly has a clear vision when it comes to this realistic and grounded take on arguably the world's most iconic superhero.

However, just how challenging is it to take a near indestructible superhero who can fly and fire blasts of heat from his eyes, and make him both relatable and a believable addition to our world? "It is obviously a much longer process with a character like Superman. It is much easier to do a realistic take on Batman. You know nothing can hurt Superman, presumably other than Kryptonite. The challenge was simply: can we figure out a way to make those elements work, quote unquote, in the real world? It's very much a story of a man with two fathers." How do you feel about this interpretation of Superman? Be sure to sound off with your thoughts on these comments in the usual place and pick up the latest issue of Empire for more on Man of Steel.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...JLDqFzERT4wv.99

• 2 months later...

New Superman film has no kryptonite. He is, however, likely prone to a good cry. Somewhere the Spin Doctor's are plotting a hit on Zack Snyder; frst a female Jimmy Olsen and now this...

This week’s cover story reveals how the new film (out June 14) attempts to humanize the superhuman by finding new flaws and vulnerabilities. The most common one, however, was off the table: “I’ll be honest with you, there’s no Kryptonite in the movie,” says director Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) Those glowing green space rocks – Superman’s only crippling weakness – have turned up so often as a plot point in movies, the only fresh option was not to use it. Anyway, if you want to make an audience relate to a character, a galactic allergy isn’t the way to do it.

Henry Cavill (Immortals), the latest star to wear the red cape, instead plays a Superman who isn’t fully comfortable with that god-like title. This film reveals that even on Krypton, young Kal-El was a special child, whose birth was cause for alarm on his home planet. (More on that in the magazine) And once on Earth, his adoptive parents, Ma and Pa Kent (Kevin Costner and Diane Lane), urge him not to use his immense strength – even in dire emergencies — warning that not every human would be as accepting of him as they are. So Clark Kent grows up feeling isolated, longing for a connection to others, and constantly hiding who he is. As a result, Man of Steel presents the frustrated Superman, the angry Superman, the lost Superman. “Although he is not susceptible to the frailties of mankind, he is definitely susceptible to the emotional frailties,” Cavill says.

SCOOP: Jenny Olsen Is NOT Replacing Jimmy Olsen In MAN OF STEEL

75581.png

A lot of people have been up in arms thinking that Jimmy Olsen would be replaced in Zack Snyder's Man Of Steel by a female version of the character named Jenny. While Jenny will be in the movie, she is not replacing Jimmy.

Jake "WaylonJones" Lester - 3/11/2013

Jennyolsen.png

A while back, an IMDB listing showed that actress Rebecca Buller (Pictured left with Laurence Fishburne) was playing Jenny Olsen in the upcoming Superman film, Man Of Steel. Then it was suggested that what Warner Brothers has done is replaced the character of Jimmy Olsen, with Jenny. While this rumor was unconfirmed it has seen it's fair share of fan uproar and backlash.

What I can tell you though, via my source close to the movie, is that Jenny will NOT be replacing Jimmy in the movie. Jenny will be Jimmy's sister. There will even be a reference to Jimmy in the movie, although I was not told what it is.When I asked what Jenny's job in Man Of Steel would be, I was simply told "No comment."

So what we can take away from this is that yes, Jenny Olsen will be in Man Of Steel, but she will NOT be replacing Jimmy like the rumors said. She will be his sister, and be featured in this first Man Of Steel movie. For the latest on all things Man Of Steel, make sure to check back here at CBM.

Read more at http://www.comicbook...l35J4wDVhpbc.99

Edited by alive she cried

There's a few frames of him flying around the 2:09 that look awkward and fake to me, but otherwise that's a pretty good trailer. I'm glad they added a little levity at the end. I was legitimately considered the character and the movie would be humorless, which generally works OK for Bruce Wayne/Batman, but not Clark Kent/Superman.

Three Blades, two X-Mens, two Spider-Mans, Punisher, Hulk, Daredevil, Elektra, FF, Catwoman, Constantine, Sin City, Hellboy, American Splendor, Ghost World, From Hell, LXG, Road to Perdition. Not a good ratio of quality to crap, but there was a lot being put out there.

Your inclusion of Road to Perdition reminded me that A History of Violence (2005) is missing from your list.

• 1 month later...