Hondo's Bar

Man Of Steel - Zack Snyder done directed hisself a new Superman flick

Panch

• 4 weeks later...

Saw it tonight and was VERY impressed. Warner Brothers really needs to just put David Goyer in the position Marvel put Avi Arad back in the day and just let him lay the foundation for a DC film-verse b/c if this film had come out before TDKR no one would've given two shits if Nolan ever did a third Batman filim or not b/c it would've led straight in to a JL film beautifully. Enough moaning about what should've been and should be, and let's talk about what is.

I know Panch has a few quibbles and so do I, but they are for the most part minor. Overall this was a well acted, well, written, and wonderfully paced film.

Quibbles: CGI looked a bit too CGI in some places. There were a few moments of unecessary overlap and contrastly a few more plot points that could've been made a bit clearer. If you're going to put in Pete Ross, why bother making him a douche? Wasn't he supposed to be Clark's best friend, or am I letting Smallville distort things? Also, Zod never said the classic line.

What I loved:

I love how they managed to do a genuinely unique Superman origin story, starting on Krypton. I also like how they peppered in Clark's time growing up as flashbacks. Also, the explanation for Clark's "missing years" was just fucking epic. I don't know if that came from a comic or not, but it was damn powerful on screen.

The showdown in Smallville homage to Superman II was brilliant. The chick who played the Ursa part, I think she was called Faora, was loghtning in a bottle. I liked how they changed upmthe Clark Lois dynamic and how they made Lois a more integral point to the plot. However, Amy Adams seemed to be almost sleepwalking compared to the Kryptonian female. Not that Adams was bad (light years past Kate Bosworth) but that's just how good the other actress playing Zod's leftenant was.

The Zod chicken neck death scene was also good. The reaction he had to killing Zod and the shot of Lois holding him after were moving and great character moments.

The last fight scene came dangerously close to overly busy, Micheal Bayformers territory, but luckily it never quite crossed that line for me.

What I was surprised I didn't miss:

Jimmy Olsen, kryptonite, or Lex Luthor.

Also, Mark Waid did not care for the endng of the film at all. Very spoilery review here: http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

So Man of Steel banked this weekend, making $125M domestically, a record for a June release. Evidently Warner Bros is taking this news and very ambitiously pushing forward for a sequel next year that will feature Supergirl*, which will lead directly to a Justice League movie in 2015. Sounds to me like they're rushing this, and David Goyer (writer of both the Nolan trilogy and Man of Steel) says Nolan "will not be in the Justice League movie."

*For those that saw the movie:

*Evidently the 18,000 year old Kryptonian ship that Clark found had one survivor in suspended animation, and putting his key into the ship awoke the survivor, and supposedly that's survivor is Kara Zor-El. Thanks to Man of Steel's new vision of Krypton as a world without natural births, Supergirl would no longer be his cousin. This could potential lead to romantic tension and a love triangle with her, Clark and Lois.

Edited by Reverend Jax

It should have Lex Luthor with some kind of elaborate real estate scheme.

No, but speaking of, ya'll notice how the

ancient spacefaring Kryptonian

suits looked a lot like Luthor's old school exoskeleton thing?

Mxyzptlk or bust, guys. Gilbert Gottfried is always lookin' for work.

All of these are great ideas, as long as Darkseid is the villain for the Justice League movie.

I also am not at all bothered by the prospect of Supergirl in the next movie. I'm worried about the idea that they are looking to have MoS2 in 2014 and JL in 2015. I can't imagine those screenplays wouldn't feel rushed.

If they weren't rushed and poorly done, it wouldn't be DC. I would actually love if they'd do Power Girl instead of Supergirl, boob window optional. She should also have epaulets but then again, so should all women.

I also hope they don't reboot Green Lantern, I didn't much like the movie but DC needs a bit of lightheartedness, levity, and color in their shared movie universe. Also I think a good writer could hammer the dents out and make it work.

*For those that saw the movie:

*Evidently the 18,000 year old Kryptonian ship that Clark found had one survivor in suspended animation, and putting his key into the ship awoke the survivor, and supposedly that's survivor is Kara Zor-El. Thanks to Man of Steel's new vision of Krypton as a world without natural births, Supergirl would no longer be his cousin. This could potential lead to romantic tension and a love triangle with her, Clark and Lois.

Well...

If Kara is indeed the passenger on the Genesis Ship/Pseudo Fortress of Solitude, she could still technically be his cousin. The ship may have landed before Kryptonians began their genetically engineered births. Personally, I hope love triangle stuff is avoided. Lois & Clark worked well as a team in MoS and I'd like to see that explored more in the sequel, especially at the Daily Planet.

It should have Lex Luthor with some kind of elaborate real estate scheme.

No, but speaking of, ya'll notice how the

ancient spacefaring Kryptonian

suits looked a lot like Luthor's old school exoskeleton thing?

You got it half right, next should be Lex sans real estate schemes. Well, I mean, I'm not totally opposed to a real estate scheme being somehow incorporated. Or maybe a cameo by Gene Hackman as a real estate agent. It could work. Also, I took the look of the exoskeleton, and Zod's armor, to be a nod to Luthor and perhaps a hint of what's to come w/ Lex in MoS2.

I also hope they don't reboot Green Lantern, I didn't much like the movie but DC needs a bit of lightheartedness, levity, and color in their shared movie universe. Also I think a good writer could hammer the dents out and make it work.

By "hammer out the dents" you mean deliver a script so spectacular that it could make GL/Hal Jordan fans forget the soul crushing disappointment of the Ryan Reynolds film? If such a thing is possible, I'm all for this mysterious miracle worker to do his screeenwriting magic.

Don't exaggerate, the green lantern film you and everyone else retroactively built up in their minds is far more interesting than the dull turd we got. There was nothing in that movie that would have to be rebooted for a sequel, it just needs to be written by someone that can write a good green lantern story.

Edited by Iambaytor

Don't exaggerate, the green lantern film you and everyone else retroactively built up in their minds is far more interesting than the dull turd we got. There was nothing in that movie that would have to be rebooted for a sequel, it just needs to be written by someone that can write a good green lantern story.

The fact Hal was an idiot, uber d-bag needs to be reboted. He's a little cocky, but at most only a mild d-bag in the ocmics. Parlax shiz doesn't count.

GL is prolly my favorite DC hero, but i didn't see enough there worth salvaging.

shit tanked so hard it took the animated down with the ship. hoping for a reboot in 5 years or whatever, no idea if i should expect him in a JLA flick prior to that.

I don't think GL needs a reboot either, I think they should just never mention that movie again. Give a 2 second "space police, magic ring, boom" origin recap and get on with the show. Even better, throw in "that guy went away, here's Kyle. He's more interesting"

The fact Hal was an idiot, uber d-bag needs to be reboted. He's a little cocky, but at most only a mild d-bag in the ocmics.

But he is fantastically stupid.

VoTzO.jpg

eDwBW.jpg

yxpnb.jpg

ZCoAk.gif

III4I.jpg

BZklA.jpg

Zo0kf.jpg

WdasG.jpg

v3t3i.png

0fs8O.jpg

chuE5.jpg

78a5C.jpg

• Upvote 1

I don't think GL needs a reboot either, I think they should just never mention that movie again. Give a 2 second "space police, magic ring, boom" origin recap and get on with the show. Even better, throw in "that guy went away, here's Kyle. He's more interesting"

well you know i'm down with that

also i see the advantage of quickly moving past the origin story, that'd be cool...i'm just not big on any of the casting. there's no one here i can't do without, especially if they want more $ and there's a fear that the last one tainted the waters.

it's the silver lining to the talk about a DD: Born Again reboot, yeah it's been forever but even if it went down perfectly somehow, how many people would've tried another affleck-DD? granted, that Elektra flick prolly didn't help matters but even so

my only fear with a reboot at the moment (not that one soon is likely, granted) is that i'd like enough time to pass where DC finds another successful business model that's not necessarily the nolan-verse. i've not yet seen supes & it may be grand, and i definitely can't tell you exactly what storyline/feel i'd want from an ideal GL movie, but i don't think it's that

• 4 weeks later...

Looking back at my original reaction to Man of Steel, I totally failed to mention in my "quibbles" section the lack of optimism in MOS as compared to most every other Superman story and the lack of humor or lightheartedness from the original Reeves/Hackman film (which is probably my earliest recollection of the character). I guess it's b/c I looked at MOS as more of a sci-fi action film than I did a Superman film, and enjoyed it more on that level. However, Max Landis makes a good point that there was very little "hero" in this supposed superhero film.

http://youtu.be/aw_GlYve_Lg