Hondo's Bar

The NZA

• 3 weeks later...

Minecraft is just begging to have a rougelike added into it...after looking at those pics of Kalimdor recreated, I think a Minecraft world with dungeons and more enemies who drop cooler building supplies would be great.

Also someone should recreate Daggerfall, the graphics are almost the same too!

First in response to Cube World: Fucking exactly like that! I can see a future where tons of all games are re-made. Final Fantasycraft, Dragon Warriorcraft, Resident Evil-craft, or take new games and make them into minecraft versions of themselves. The graphics, while outdated by 90's standards do have their advantages.

In response to the timelapse, I am in awe. Imagine the planning that went into that. And it looks like it was quite a few people working at once. Though they probably have sites with "generic" templates of buildings and such that tell you how to build them and you can just improvise as you see fit. Still an achievement either way, and this is just the begining.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good:

• Regular updates will be free, as they should be
  • Split screen. Same couch co-op is dying a slow death lately, glad to see it here. Also, if I'm building something big, I like the idea of plugging in a 2nd controller and having another camera to see the whole structure from a distance.
  • It's on console, which frees up my computer for shit like trolling message boards, dedicated controller, no lag/framerate issues
  • Skin and texture packs incoming
  • In addition to the normal updates, 360 exclusive updates based on community feedback, with the hope that it eventually "evolves" into something very different than it's PC counterpart

Bad:

• Only 8 player co-op

Mixed:

• Mods will be available as "best of" DLC packs. It's cool that they're adding mods at all, but it sucks paying for them.

Next week!

yeah, the fact notch made something big enough to get MS to reneg on their "NOTHING IS FREE" policy (Epic didn't even do that, did they?) is pretty huge. it's really cool to see this there, next gen's gonna need to be more open to these kind've experiences if the console indie scene ever wants to be on the ground floor. I love XBLA, but the more i read about it, the more i feel bad for devs - 1st patch costs $30k, etc.

yeah, i wanna say i support the indie scene, but i havent bought one XNA game yet. if i heard really good things/saw a demo i think i would, but when i used to browse it years back, it felt like ios - lotta farty games and stuff that looked lazy.

• 3 weeks later...

My son is obsessed with this game, now he wants mods, I need to know,

1. which ones are good?

2. Do I have to install them??? I don't get this...*facepalm*

3. are they safe?

I won't get the PC version of Skyrim due to unsavory mods, now he's harping about friggin minecraft mods. I'm trying to get him some without anything obscene or that could hurt my computer. haaaalllp!!!

Mods are generally safe from a security standpoint, whatever the game. Just avoid the ones that no one else has downloaded, the community tends to police itself. You will not harm your PC by downloading a popular mod with a lot of downloads.

There are "obscene" mods for every game that's ever existed, you just have to exercise parental caution.

You do have to be careful not to crash your game by having too many active mods that may conflict with each other.

Here is a site that seems to have a good selection.

You will have to install them. Unlike Skyrim, which has nifty one click mod installs via Steam Workshop, Minecraft looks to be like most PC games: you will need to follow the instructions and extract the files to the proper place. I've never personally done it with Minecraft specifically, but it's usually not very difficult and there will be lots of help via Google.

There may even be a mod manager/curse type client that will install them for you.

• 4 weeks later...