Hondo's Bar

Playstation Phone

The NZA

not sure if want?

engadgetpspphone7.jpg

It's hard to believe that what we're looking at is real -- but we assure you, the picture above is in fact the PlayStation Phone you've long been waiting for. As we reported back in August, the device you see is headed into the market soon, likely boasting Android 3.0 (aka Gingerbread), along with a custom Sony Marketplace which will allow you to purchase and download games designed for the new platform. The device snapped up top (and in our gallery below) is sporting a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655 (a chip similar to the one found in the G2, but 200MHz faster), 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and the screen is in the range of 3.7 to 4.1 inches. Looking almost identical to the mockup we hit you with this summer, the handset does indeed have a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, and you can see in the photos that it's still bearing those familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. For Sony buffs, you'll be interested to know that there's no Memory Stick slot here, but there is support for microSD cards.

The particular model in these shots is still in prototyping mode. As such, the unit doesn't have a custom skin (not even SE's Timescape design seen on the Xperia devices), and is said to be rather buggy. We're digging into more facts as we speak, but it's likely that much of what we reported earlier is still accurate, and though the device could still be headed for a 2010 release, 2011 is looking much more realistic. Still, there's a lot of time between now and the holidays... so keep your fingers crossed!

it's, uh...a PSP Go with a touchpad thing where sticks should be. I'm sure there's a market for this, not sure that it's me...still, maybe this indicates Sony's got plans to merge the PSP2 with a phone? I still can't see it (ergonomics, battery life, other reasons) but it looks like Sony's at least half-ready to try their hands at this market.

i do dig the lithium in the DS3 (gets fair amount of life for a controller with rumble), but even on dim, the PSP kinda eats is battery...add phone functions, and it becomes difficult. playing games on my iphone, for instance, can drain the battery in a matter of hours, and we're talking about a device potentially much more powerful.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys do realize this is an early(proabbly handbuilt) prototype right?

Anyway it's most likely from rumors and such that there might be a few sku's for this, a dedicated gaming device(think the go with flash carts for games), Phone sku(something simialer to this maybe) and I'm pretty sure it'll have nubs too. There are also rumors of some sort of tablet as well but we'll see.

Rumors suggest it'll run 2 OS, android for all the normal stuff and GameOS one just for psp(lower overhead and helps combat piracy then just running off android) the phone almost for sure will have this, not sure about the device, rumors are pegging a CES revel but who knows.

how can you make/recive calls when you are running the PSP OS?

It would have to run both at the same time which seems a bit silly and could cause some issues.

They should just run with an hybrid Android/PSP OS surely that wouldn't be too hard.

Bleh some of the gaff guys explained it better then I could, I'll have to see if I can dig up the posts. Of course this is all rumor and speculation atm so who knows.

• 7 months later...

I just tried this out at the Verizon store at the Mall in Concord. Holy shit!

Link Here

XperiaPLAY_Games.jpg

Android™ OS 2.3 Gingerbread

Support for eCompass and other sensors for improved 3D motion processing

User experience refined for simplicity and speed

Native support for multiple cameras on the device, including a front-facing camera

True multitasking and access to over 150,000 apps in the Android market

Games Galore!

6 Pre-loaded Games and more on V CAST

Save your quarters. The Xperia™ PLAY’s pre-loaded games–Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior, The Sims 3, Star Battalion, Asphalt 6: Adrenaline, Madden NFL 11 from EA, and Crash Bandicoot, plus many more available in V CAST Apps – give the arcade a run for its money.

Hardware

4" inch 16-Million Color Screen

Game action jumps off the brilliant four-inch screen. Colors pop with every punch, and blade-sharp graphics make every win a beautiful thing.

Front and rear-facing cameras.

Point, aim, shoot. The front-facing camera and 5 MP rear-facing camera instantly transform your smartphone into an in-your-pocket photo-capturing device.

Speed and Multi-tasking

1GHz CPU (Qualcomm MSM 8655) and Adreno 205 graphics processor

8GB MicroSD pre-installed

I was originally considering an iPhone when upgrade time comes around, but now... I'm REALLY leaning towards this.

Did you try any games? What would you compare the graphics level to? How did the analog pad things work out?

Yeah, I tried the pre-loaded Bruce Lee game. Graphics were amazing, especially considering it's a PHONE. Graphics for that game, I would say... might just be better than Wii. I was shocked.

Analog pad was great, felt comfortable for the 5 minutes I played it. I didn't know what I was doing, so therefore I had my ass handed to me for the first Bruce-Lee fight. But considering, that's a good thing showing that the game can't be beaten by simple button mashing. Others that were pre-loaded were Crash Bandicoot, and a few others...

I was originally considering an iPhone when upgrade time comes around, but now... I'm REALLY leaning towards this.

He gets this phone and I fear I've lost him for good...:???:

I do have to admit, the graphics did impress me...

He gets this phone and I fear I've lost him for good...:???:

I do have to admit, the graphics did impress me...

You won't lose me for good. It won't do WoW. I'll game about as much as I do now.

Idunno... Looks like a gimped PSP. I'm just a big fan of touchscreen-only interfaces though.

Touchscreens are over rated. Anyway It would be retarted to have the 14 playstation buttons and 2 joysticks all on touchscreen, shit would get messy. Until they make mind control controller I'll stick to buttons.

Here's how my preference system works for portables

Buttons where they make sense, next to the screen or bumpers or w/e

> touchscreen buttons(and you play something like Gun Bros or w/e the MMO on my Xoom is, they simulate analogue sticks quite well)

>Dogs wearing clothes

>slide-out keyboards or controlpads. Yes it means more screen, but I find them awkward as shit to hold.

I haven't upgraded my phone in just over 2 years. (The Voyager is solid man!) but I almost got a windows phone 7 and then a PS phone. The thing is, i wanted them more for their gaming potential. Yeah that's cool but now i'm looking at the Droid 3 going, it does everything I want it to. Hell I hear it can run PS1 emulation no problem. Why bother at this point.

Archived