Hondo's Bar

The Dark Knight Rises

Keth

here

Update your calendar now: The Batman movie you'll be lining up to buy tickets for in July 2012 is called "The Dark Knight Rises."

Director Christopher Nolan's announcement of the title comes after more than two years of speculation about a movie we simply dubbed "Batman 3." The first rumors about a third installment in the franchise cropped up in fall 2008, just a few months after the record-breaking opening of "The Dark Knight." Only recently, though, has solid info about the new flick begun to trickle out.

From early rumors to drool-inducing reality, here's how it all went down:

September 30, 2008: Unnamed sources suggest a sort of pre-pre-production on "Batman 3" has begun — with set builders, stuntmen and film crews currently being hired — with an eye on shooting in February 2009.

October 7, 2008: "Dark Knight" scribe David Goyer tells MTV News those rumors are "B.S.," adding, "Chris and I haven't even talked about it. He quite understandably is taking a long, long vacation and wants to purge himself."

September 30, 2008: One in a long string of casting rumors pops up, suggesting Rachel Weisz will star as Catwoman. In the next few years, other rumors will claim, among other things, that Eddie Murphy will play the Riddler, Johnny Depp will play the Riddler, Philip Seymour Hoffman will play the Penguin and Cher will play Catwoman.

January 8, 2009: "Dark Knight" producer Chuck Roven tells us that Nolan and Goyer are "talking and thinking" about the next film.

February 11, 2009: News breaks that Nolan will delay production on "Batman 3" in favor of work on "Inception."

June 22, 2009: With Nolan's status uncertain, star Christian Bale tells us, "I truly don't know that we're ever going to see another Batman movie."

July 24, 2009: Co-star Gary Oldman tells us production will begin in 2010.

February 8, 2010: Goyer is reportedly writing "Batman 3" with Chris Nolan's brother Jonah.

March 10, 20010: Nolan announces that "Batman 3" will bring the series' story to a close. "I'm very excited about the end of the film, the conclusion, and what we've done with the characters," he said. "My brother has come up with some pretty exciting stuff. Unlike the comics, these things don't go on forever in film, and viewing it as a story with an end is useful."

April 30, 2010: Reports suggest "Batman 3" will hit theaters July 20, 2012.

June 4, 2010: Nolan confirms that the third film will not feature the Joker, a role played by Heath Ledger in "Dark Knight." "I just don't feel comfortable about it," he said.

June 28, 2010: Nolan confirms the July 2012 release date, but declines to speculate on reports that production will begin in March 2011.

July 20, 2010: "Dark Knight" cinematographer Wally Pfister tells us he wants to shoot "Batman 3" entirely in the large-scale IMAX film format.

September 29, 2010: Nolan officially signs on to direct the film.

October 6, 2010: Reports suggest the movie will begin shooting in April 2011 in New Orleans.

October 13, 2010: Tom Hardy signs on for an unspecified lead role in "Batman 3," giving rise to speculation that he'll play a villain opposite Bale.

October 27, 2010: Nolan announces the new movie will be called "The Dark Knight Rises." He also says the Riddler will not factor into the story.

I still have to re-finish Dark Knight, but I guess it's apt enough given how DK ended(I think).

Where Begins was Year One and DK was... What story/arc would it relate to interms of such an angsty character-driven tone? I hope Rises is based on one of Morrison's newer stories maybe(just nothing with the Black Hand). :gross:

$10 on Mr. Freeze as main villian plox.

Ice to see you....

Arnold has said he doesn't know what he plans to do once his term as governor ends. Very serendipitous.... :hmm:

Seriously though, I doubt highly that Nolan will go for any villain that would require heavy use of CGI. It would be completely counter to everything he's ever said on the matter. So I'd say we can bet against Killer Croc, Clayface, Man Bat. Even Freeze seem unlikely give his distaste for CGI. There was talk of Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin, and that's obviously a fun casting. I don't think Catwoman is a bad idea. I have enough faith in Nolan that if he thinks Catwoman is the best villain of the one's he hasn't used yet, I'm sure his interpretation would be awesome. I would not have the same faith in him if it were announced he was doing, say, the Clock King.

I still think Two Face is the best bet. Two Face was barely in the last film, Harvey Dent was. Maybe Nolan thought the most interesting thing about Two Face was his origin, but it seems that Two Face would be a good villain to have, at least in the first half of the film while another villain was being introduced, fully realized by the second half. I like the idea of them staying as grounded as possible and not going for villains that use what is essentially magic, even if it is cloaked in the appearance of science.

As for the title, I think of 'rising' as a word used for an origin, not a third installment. Obviously WB took a risk a few years ago releasing a Batman movie without the word 'Batman' in the title, but it made over a billion dollars and now they'd like to keep 'The Dark Knight' in the title. I get that, but unless is refers to something specific in the plot, 'rises' doesn't seem appropriate to me.

No villains that use magic? Like Ra's Al Ghul for example?

I haven't seen Batman Begins in years, but did we see any magic from Ra's in the movie? Was it ever revealed he was centuries old? I remember him being a pretty demystified interpretation. He was just a very intelligent, some-what twisted head of a vast shadowy international criminal organization. If there was an mention of magic or immortality, I'm pretty sure it was downplayed significantly.

In retrospect they really botched Ra's. Reinventing him now as a billionaire philanthropist all about the environment, an opposite number to Bruce Wayne as well as Batman would kick arse. As for Dentface, his story was the standout for me in DK so I'd love to see him back as a supporting character again, but I guess, less supporting and more of a background antagonist.

I haven't seen Batman Begins in years, but did we see any magic from Ra's in the movie? Was it ever revealed he was centuries old? I remember him being a pretty demystified interpretation. He was just a very intelligent, some-what twisted head of a vast shadowy international criminal organization. If there was an mention of magic or immortality, I'm pretty sure it was downplayed significantly.

Well there was the matter of the fake Ra's Al Ghul who obviously died earlier in the film mysteriously being alive when Neeson showed back up.