Hondo's Bar

The Dark Knight Rises

Keth

As usual, I'll ignore BaytorH8teration as it's mired in idiocy.

yeah, your point would stand if there wasnt like 10+ years of box office failures following it that all but buried comic movies again until marvel showed them as profitable.

wrong. yet again. the batman franchise deteriorated in content over the years, but it was always profitable. even that abortion of a film batman & robin grossed $240 million worldwide. that was released in 1997 and X-Men came out in 2000 and grossed $296 million worldwide.

give credit where credit is due. the batman films are responsible for the modern superhero film boom. :muggin:

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

If you say so but Nicholson and Keaton were miscast, and it's not even like Burton didn't know how to cast right because he did a great job casting the sequel which comes at least kinda close to competing with Batman Begins at least in terms of quality (though it's still a pretty wide margin)

The 80s wasn't as awesome as you remembered, you'll have to accept this eventually.

hakus: batman & robin banked worldwise like a bollywood film, and all but killed the franchise. ask yourself: why weren't studios lining up to make comic films? shit was dead in the water, and X-Men picked it up & showed how much money could be made, been seeing all kindsa comic films right & left since...this did not happen after bats.

you should really come up for air sometime

A good article on why Bane would be a good choice

I would also argue that Nolan's penchent for killing off at least one villain per movie would work well since Bane kinda loses his purpose once he's destroyed Batman. Though I doubt we'll get Knightfall and I especially doubt we'll see Jean-Paul Valley (a shame, but understandable)

If you say so but Nicholson and Keaton were miscast, and it's not even like Burton didn't know how to cast right because he did a great job casting the sequel which comes at least kinda close to competing with Batman Begins at least in terms of quality (though it's still a pretty wide margin)

The 80s wasn't as awesome as you remembered, you'll have to accept this eventually.

Is being constantly wrong a result of the cancer or the cancer treatment?

3 days later, and all you got's a generic cancer joke?

Well, the time delay is due to my own family's hospital issues. And the cancer jokes are a delicate matter. I can't get to vicious on the kid. He is dealing w/ ball cancer after all. However, as a rational person in posession of all his faculties I knew of no other way to respond to a post filled w/ such ridiculous statements. :bored:

weak

agreed. as far as nick's .gif replies go, that one was rather weak.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Let me just say this... I was the biggest Stan fan forever (he made Spidey,man. Spidey), UNTIL I decided to follow him on Twitter. OH MY GOD! SO ANNOYING!

In Stan's defense, pretty much 80% of anything on twitter is annoying. That percentage likely increases w/ the age of the person twittering. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This website claims to have some major spoilers about the script for TDKR

Take w/ a grain (truckload) of salt. . .

Catwoman & Bats team up to fight Talia & Bane who try to finish what Rha's started in Batman Begins. Also Joseph Gordon Levitt factors in as an ally of the League of Shadows (a la Mr. Crain in BB) somehow as well...

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 3 weeks later...

So, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's role is revealed in TDKR and it also gives away some major possible plot spoilers. . .

...insiders tell Variety that Gordon-Levitt will play Alberto Falcone, the son of Mafia chieftain Carmine Falcone, the character Tom Wilkinson played in "Batman Begins." Alberto Falcone, who is also known as the Holiday Killer, would bring Nolan's superhero trilogy full circle

Interesting stuff. I wonder if this means the plot will follow the graphic novel or just borrow bits from it kind of like Batman Begins did w/ Year One and other Batman stories. My guess is for the latter.

Oooohhhh... Man, The Loeb/ Sale colabs have been on my comic reading bucketlist forever. I've been holding out for the spare cash with which to purchase the absolute edition collecting both stories @ my local, but given how little I get there now I might turn my dark attentions to Amazon.

Long Halloween is a terrible mystery, Loeb does the same thing he did in Red Hulk where he makes it absolutely obvious who it is early on and then outright lies to you so you'll think it's someone else. He then strings you along with a series of famous villains (he does the same thing in Hush)so you won't notice the weak story. Since The Dark Knight rises will have 3 villains already I don't think weak-ass Holiday is even worth mentioning except maybe as an act one minor distraction like Scarecrow was in the last one, even then it seems like Nolan has a lot of ground to cover so it'd be best to just leave it out altogether. Cause if history shows anything, it's that if a great director makes a part of a series that takes any longer than necessary to get where it's going then they swear off the series altogether, claiming it was never good to begin with and then start rooting for some cheap-ass rubbersuit Batman played by a teen-idol directed by some half-baked indie director. Tread lightly Nolan, you could be next!

Cause if history shows anything, it's that if a great director makes a part of a series that takes any longer than necessary to get where it's going then they swear off the series altogether, claiming it was never good to begin with and then start rooting for some cheap-ass rubbersuit Batman played by a teen-idol directed by some half-baked indie director. Tread lightly Nolan, you could be next!

It hardly seems that's happened enough times to consider it a trend.

How do Long halloween & Dark Victory fit on the scale of Loeb work though? Postioning it somewhere between say, Cap relaunch & 2001 FF(good) and at the other end anything to do with the Ultimate Line?

Ignore Baytorh8r5000. The Loeb/Sale Batman stuff is some of the best writing he's ever done. Which, based on his work these past few years (Return of Supergirl excluded) isn't saying much, I know. But trust me when I say any Bat-fan should find them immensely entertaining.

Long Halloween is a terrible mystery, Loeb does the same thing he did in Red Hulk where he makes it absolutely obvious who it is early on and then outright lies to you so you'll think it's someone else. He then strings you along with a series of famous villains (he does the same thing in Hush)so you won't notice the weak story. Since The Dark Knight rises will have 3 villains already I don't think weak-ass Holiday is even worth mentioning except maybe as an act one minor distraction like Scarecrow was in the last one, even then it seems like Nolan has a lot of ground to cover so it'd be best to just leave it out altogether. Cause if history shows anything, it's that if a great director makes a part of a series that takes any longer than necessary to get where it's going then they swear off the series altogether, claiming it was never good to begin with and then start rooting for some cheap-ass rubbersuit Batman played by a teen-idol directed by some half-baked indie director. Tread lightly Nolan, you could be next!

See, the storytelling flaws are fairly evident in Hush(hence I didn't place it on the above scale) but I still find it a fairly enjoyable read. Somewhere between your warning and Haku's almost Wizard-worthy thumbs-upping I'm sure I'll find a fun, ambient-as-hell story(because say what you will about Loeb, but Sale's art is a story unto itself).

On the matter of Dark Knights Rising, it's doubtful that Nolan's going to meander. I mean, Dark Knight was 3 hours of a-b-c-d straight line precision all the way through to (imo) the unnecessary x-y-z. I still haven't been able to finish that fucking movie outside of cinema because it's too damned long, and that's my only concern about the next installment.