Hondo's Bar

The Dark Knight Rises

Keth

Sale's art helps a lot, I honestly think Loeb teams up with the most visually arresting artists so they don't realize how fucking stupid his plots are. It's fun, but it's still a disjointed mess that centers around a terrible mystery and by the end you won't really feel like you read anything special.

And there was some extra shit Nolan tacked onto the Dark Knight. The whole thing with the ferry's was totally pointless and could have just been left out, I find it kind of hard to believe that a city so filled with corruption that a man dressed in a graphite bat comstume has to go around killing cops and arresting criminals in his dune buggy sports car every night would have enough good people on two ferries (one filled with convicted criminals) to not blow each other up. But the Rifftrax made the good point, between Dark Knight and Green Mile we've seen that gigantic black death row inmates are the noblest of people. I think this one's gonna be a bit more like Batman Begins (that is to say, half-cocked) but I firmly believe I could be wrong. Nolan's different enough in each of his movies that I can honestly say I don't know what to expect here: It could be Inception cool or Insomnia boring, who knows.

Warren Ellis was a goddamn prophet when he talked about the importance of constantly rebooting franchise characters....I just never applied that to their cinematic interpretations.

Robinov knows that the most bankable part of his superhero empire has been Nolan and his Gotham City films – the studio has yet to deliver a 21st century superhero blockbuster hit without Nolan in the director’s seat. Batman will continue to be a centerpiece property beyond next year’s “The Dark Knight Rises” and Nolan’s departure from the franchise. “We have the third Batman, but then we’ll have to reinvent Batman…Chris Nolan and [producing partner and wife] Emma Thomas will be producing it, so it will be a conversation with them about what the next phase is.”

before you get mad, think about the possibilities: Batman Beyond! if that doesnt happen, hopefully someone will just add him into scenes in Blade Runner.

Nw7kR.jpg

Why can't they let me have a Dark Knight Returns film? The title of the last movie even set it up. Is it because Batman must be pretty? I mean, you could totally cut out all the crazy 80's silliness (Dr. Ruth, New Wave Punk Gangs, Shoulderpads, The guy from Welcome Back Kotter, etc...) and update it without fucking up the main story much at all. Sorry Baytor, but BRUNO MUST REMAIN FOR PROPER STORY COHESION! Those tits really tie the script together. Dark Knight Strikes Again, however, would do well to just be ignored ( even though I liked it a damn sight more than Hush).

Zack Snyder could do it. He isn't afraid of voice over narration and he knows how to use a book as a storyboard.

They can do Batman: Beyond after that. Minor tweaks and they can totally exist in the same universe. Shit, they can give Carrie Kelly's job to McGinnis for all I care. Or they could just let me do it. Look at me, I'm already willing to butcher the thing just to get it made. I'd fit in perfectly in the comic book movie biz.

edit: I said DKR when I meant DKSA. Fuck abbreviations.

Edited by Thelogan

pre-Watchmen flick NZA would've shat on your idea, Logans, but post...it's likely doable, and might even offer some of the time capsule qualities of the cold war going on then (i cant fault either project for not bringing the impact that the books did at the time, for obvious reasons). that said, Watchmen apparently didnt light the world on fire, so you might have to win the lottery for this fanboy vanity project to get going - i know Bats has tremendously more marketability, but you'd kinda have to sell it as "THIS IS THE FLICK WHERE HE WHUPS SUPERMAN'S ASS" is the thing. i'm telling you, if i was producing, that exact line would be on the marquee, caps and all.

though i'm personally ok with settling for the few clips i got years back from that weird Batman animated episode.

That animated thing wasn't bad. A little lighthearted for me. The impact of "This is an operating table, and I'm the surgeon" is neutered by the Girl Wonder quipping "Gotta love him!". I also missed the "something tells me to stop with the legs...I don't listen." line.

They could totally sell it as Batman smashing Supes!

One of the cool things in DKSA was KRAK! "I'm done talking, now get out of my cave." I would find a way to shoehorn that in too. The last 45 minutes can just be Superman getting kicked around.

No one gives a shit about Green Arrow. I would replace him with zombies and frontal nudity.

I would also replace David Letterman Endochrine with Man-Bat and use very expensive Avatar special effects. His presence would not effect the plot, he would just be casually hosting a late night talk show and screeching at guests.

And I would make Joker gay. Not just implied, but graphically homosexual. He would just be sucking dicks like Evan Rachel Wood at a washed up entertainer convention.

Before Batman Begins the studios were interested in making a gritty R-rated Batman, but unfortunately there was another guy who wanted to make a goofy Adam West style Batman which culminated in a script that hilariously featured Batman firing a giant thumbtack out of a giant rubber band: impaling the film's main villain.

I think Dark Knight Returns could work and Frank Miller even gave Zack Synder his blessing. Honestly I think Batman should just become a James Bond-esque franchise where it doesn't really reboot, it's just inexplicably different every time a new actor/creative team comes on.

Yes, maybe Baytor is on to something here.

I remember walking out of Watchmen years back and the only thing that kept running through my mind was, 'YES! Snyder's gonna direct DKR next'! I mean after the insane attention to detail he put into 300 and Watchmen, this was a no brainer. Jon (C_U_Spacecowboy) and I have had this conversation before and he says that Christopher Nolan could helm DKR. I say no. While I'm sure there's dozens of folks that can make that movie, I would only have confidence in Snyder to do it RIGHT.

Before Batman Begins the studios were interested in making a gritty R-rated Batman, but unfortunately there was another guy who wanted to make a goofy Adam West style Batman which culminated in a script that hilariously featured Batman firing a giant thumbtack out of a giant rubber band: impaling the film's main villain.

I think Dark Knight Returns could work and Frank Miller even gave Zack Synder his blessing. Honestly I think Batman should just become a James Bond-esque franchise where it doesn't really reboot, it's just inexplicably different every time a new actor/creative team comes on.

That is an interesting idea about the Bond-esque Bat-verse on film. However, I think it hasn't been done before b/c one of the best parts about being the new filmmaker to play in the Bat-verse is you get to interpret the whole universe of Batman--everything from the rogues gallery to the way Gotham looks. Burton went Gothic. Schumacher went gay campy. And Nolan went for realism. Bond just reboots 007 (and sometimes Q and the gadget guy--I forget his handle) and the "universe" of Bond stays the same. Connery Bond villains don't show up in a Roger Moore film, do they? It'd just be muddier w/ Bats--and will become even more so if DC/WB is successful in doing what Marvel Studios is doing w/ their film universe.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

No there were connections between several of the different bond films, the first Roger Moore one started with him killing off one of Connery's villains. And there are shocking differences between every version of bond, particularly Lazenby and Moore and especially Daniel Craig, so it works.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't know that about those Bond villain connections, Baytor. My knowledge of early Bond films comes mostly from fuzzy memories of watching them on TV as a kid. I enjoyed the Brosnan Bond films enough, but the Craig films are by far my favorites. They're the only two Bond films I actually own. I need to pick up some of the classic Connery films though.

OK, so as for actual TDKR news, by now most people have probably read the press releases from WB saying Marion Cotilliard & Joseph Gordon-Levitt are both playing characters we've never heard of; however, my theory is this is just disinformation on Nolan & WB's part. Nolan is notoriously secretive and I think he got a bt peeved fans figured out so much of the (potential) plot of the film just based on casting news.

Anyway, the film is officially shooting in this city in India, and it looks like it could definitely be a League of Shadows stronghold.Possibly someplace where Ra's daughter Talia might live. Hmm...

BlueCity.bmp?1303915049

Jhoppur.jpg?1303915129

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I was under the impression that it's been common knowledge for a while that Tom Hardy is playing Bane. Surely we've heard of him. Why is there no talk of this here? The guy is beefing up like a madman. It seems to be quite different than the "prison body" he developed for Bronson.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...