Hondo's Bar

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

the division of joy

Benz,

From someone who has it on both formats:

If you've got a PC from the last couple of years, get it for that, if only for the mods. It has low system requirements. Steam workshop makes mods literally one click installs, and you can disable any you don't like before the game launches. I cannot stress how much mods can add to the game. From riding giant spiders, hundreds of new spells, new areas, races, graphics tweaks and entire new skill trees. Not to mention that some of them fix actual problems the game has.

My kid is all about the mods. he doesn't play these games like I do though.

He got a spell that makes a tiny follower version of whatever you hit it with, up to 8 of them. Then he went on a quest to create his ultimate gang of tiny followers so he could...I dunno, pose for screen caps or something. He has a lot of fun though.

Ugh! Why can't they use this kinda stuff with the PSmove/eye? I get that the tech is different, but it has a mic too, and witht he motion controls, man this game was made for the move. But noooooooooo, that ain't gonna happen. Gripe aside, that does look pretty sweet. I like the idea of telling my follower to stay rather than awkwardly stopping and telling them to stay.

ps narrator, you gotta put feeling behind those shouts!

Edited by axel_napalm

The main problem comes from the fact that Kinect has voice recognition built into the software that the system uses to run Kinect enabled stuff, and the Playstation Eye is a microphone. These devs are tying game commands to the existing recognition software, but if they wanted to bring it to Playstation they'd have to program a comparable voice recognition program from scratch to work only in tandem with their game. Which I'd say is 99% not happening.

Is that what it is Mal?

I don't know shit about this, really. I know Kinect is pretty good with voice commands, I figured there was some sort of software behind it.

If that's not the case, then I would assume Microsoft just bankrolled the whole thing, and Bethesda be more than happy to add it elsewhere if they were payed to do it. The same reason the 360 is getting the DLC early : dumptrucks full of money that they're willing to throw around haphazardly.

EDIT: I was responding to your earlier post. You answered the software question seconds before I posted this...

Edited by Thelogan

I did some research after tossing my mouth off, and it turns out that the voice recognition stuff isn't in the software, but rather the hardware's developer kit. Different set of facts, but the basics of it is that microsoft is still providing the tools to the developer to make their job a lot easier, and Sony isn't.

Yea... Sony is the Atari of the future... Landfill crisis 2017

Still ironically most of my friends play ps3 over Xbox tho that platform has a broader library blabla..

But Bethesda and Sony don't seem to be meshing very well this game.

If it becomes psmove compatible however, I'm definitely jumping on.

Edited by IceManML

• 2 weeks later...

DLC announcement possible next week.

Also, Patch Files Point to Snow Elves, crossbows, more vampire animations.

An industrious Skyrim fan has been rummaging around in the patch files for update 1.5.26, unearthing information associated with 'DLC01' that suggests the first batch of DLC for the epic RPG will feature Snow Elves, crossbows, new vampire feeding animations, a Snow Elf Prince and something with an 'RF' prefix.

The fan posted his findings on the Bethesda Forums, leading to speculation that Skyrim's first DLC will be focusing on the Snow Elves and the Falmer. From here on out, there'll be spoilers, so read on at your peril if you haven't played or finished Skyrim. The Snow Elves are a lost race of mer (elf) who lived in Skyrim before the Nords, until they were driven underground to become slaves to the ancient dwarven Dwemer race.

The Nords usurped the Snow Elves' dominion over Skyrim, sending them underground where they were forced to survive on fungi that turned the Snow Elves blind, commencing their devolution into the twisted Falmer, a race of hunched subterranean scavengers. You may also remember one of the Thieves Guild quests ending in a water-filled cavern dominated by a giant Snow Elf statue.

Crossbows and vampire feeding animations are also thought to be part of the DLC, while 'RF' is rumoured to be the initials of a new companion character.

We'll get it like 3-6 months later I imagine. This happened with Fallout. If they can work out any bugs this might bring in that time, I say it's worth the wait. I'll just have to keep away from possible spoilers til then.

• 3 weeks later...

1.6 update notes

• Mounted Combat - Skyrim now allows you to do melee and ranged combat while riding a horse
  • General stability and memory optimizations
  • General AI pathfinding optimizations and bug fixes
  • Optimizations and crash fixes for data leaks
  • Fixed rare crash with lighting
  • Fixed crashes related to loading and saving games
  • Fixed crash with summoned creatures/NPCs
  • Fixed rare issue where saves would be corrupted
  • Improved logic for when ranged kill cams are played
  • Fixed issue with ranged kill cams while killing a dragon
  • Fixed rare issue with certain ranged kill cams not playing properly
  • Fixed issue with nirnroot lighting not properly cleaning up
  • Fixed issue where bow damage was being calculated incorrectly
  • Fixed rare problem with werewolf kill moves would not finish animating properly
  • In “The Break of Dawn” fixed rare issue where Meridia’s Beacon would disappear from player’s inventory
  • Fixed occasional issue where followers would disappear after player pays off a bounty after committing a crime
  • Fixed issue where certain creatures and NPCs would fail to respawn properly
  • Fixed rare issue with dialogue subtitles not displaying properly
  • Fixed issue with water appearing blurry when loading a saved game after creating a save underwater
  • Fixed issue where map cursor would occasionally disappear after closing a message box with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed rare issue with shouts only performing the first level and not other unlocked levels with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)
  • Fixed issue where the shout buttons would stop working properly if users mashed LB and RB during cooldown with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)

Mounted Combat - Skyrim now allows you to do melee and ranged combat while riding a horse

Mounted Combat

Man, now THIS is how you update a game. It's rare that console players get actual gameplay features added. So cool.

NZA needs to shut his whore mouth. Bethesda clearly loves you.

In other news, adding mini DLC as a free update deemed "immoral" by Sony execs, Microsoft is furious with Bethesda's irresponsible behavior and EA is planning a court case.