Hondo's Bar

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Drifter

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AqJww06bw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AqJww06bw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5AqJww06bw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm up for it.

Although, don't you think they're kinda staples? Isn't it not a Pirates movie without them? This movie should be called Jack Sparrow and the Pirates of the Caribbean.

So you're telling me the bland shallow romance of those two petty douche bags was what drove this series? Honestly, all they ever did was fuck up Jack's plans and back-stabbed everyone who ever had the decency to help them. Seriously, in a trilogy of movies filled with fucking pirates, the only more treacherous character than either of our charming couple was Captain Barbosa. Their comeuppance at the end of part 3 put a big shit-eating grin on my face.

You're absolutely right about everything you mention above BUT didn't their storyline just give the Pirates world more, I don't know, depth? You know, other shit going on other than Jack Sparrow? Don't get me wrong... I LOVE Jack, but I've always looked at him as the ultimate supporting/comedy relief guy. Now its a movie all about him. I'm sorry, but I wanna see ALL the characters from this world we know. No matter how sucky.

Their storyline didn't give any depth to the world. It was a romance in the middle of a long story about pirates, Davy Jones, and the goddess of the sea. They were in the world only because they loved each other, and they watched things happen in the world that would have happened independent of their insertion because they already existed before they pushed themselves into it.

Fuck. I hate to pour a bunch of haterade on this thing, but does it seem like Depp is almost doing his impression of Jack Sparrow rather than playing Jack Sparrow in this trailer, or is it just me?

In the plus category it has mermaids, zombies, and Ian McFuckinShane as Blackbeard, so I'm there wether Depp is on point in the role or not.

Jack is Jack; even in the trailer Gibbs is upset that Sparrow isn't acting normal only to have his concerns later assuaged. Ian McShane is awesome; good to have some Swearengen in there. My favorite Barbosa is back but in a King's Navy uniform?!?! The rest of the cast is great too. Personally, I'm looking forward to more unintelligible conversations with Keith Richards. And for Panch: There is, indeed, a doe-eyed young couple in there fighting for love in a crazy world; it's not just going to be two hours of Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz flirting with their swords.

Fuck. I hate to pour a bunch of haterade on this thing, but does it seem like Depp is almost doing his impression of Jack Sparrow rather than playing Jack Sparrow in this trailer, or is it just me?

In the plus category it has mermaids, zombies, and Ian McFuckinShane as Blackbeard, so I'm there wether Depp is on point in the role or not.

Of course that's what's going to happen, this is the fourth movie in a series. Name one series that Disney has been able to seriously maintain quality with, I dare you.

Of course that's what's going to happen, this is the fourth movie in a series. Name one series that Disney has been able to seriously maintain quality with, I dare you.

Presumably, Pixar doesn't count, cause Toy Story has increased in quality with each installment.

I don't have the disdain for Bloom and Knightley some do, but there's no question that Depp made those movies what they were. You could have swapped out Bloom or Knightley for other capable actors and it would have been the same movie more or less, but swap out Depp and suddenly none of those movies are very enjoyable.

I agree however that Depp does not look as comfortable in his role in that trailer than he did in the first three flicks. Hope it feels more natural in the full feature.

• 5 months later...

Saw this and liked it... but there was something that I can't put my finger on that bothered me. I don't know. Maybe others that have seen it can help me...

It kinda bugged me that it didnt explain Blackbeard's magical sword, or where the mermaid took Mr. Christian.

Maybe that? Unless I totally missed somethin there. Also didn't feel quite as epic in scale as the last three, but other than that nothing else rings a bell in terms of buggery :p

The fucking spanish at the end, Panch? "By the way, we came here to fuck up this shit, but when we earlier had the opportunity to totally fuck up the chalices we decided we had best polish them first. And when we arrived at the lighthouse we figured hey, let's not mess with that either."

It wasn't exactly unepic, but the first thirty minutes had three different swordfights in it, and everything that followed was also more or less a swordfight, so we really had no variety in the epic.

Archived