Hondo's Bar

Subtitled Movies

I have a change of heart on subtitled movies. Last night I watched Brotherhood of the Wolf and it kicked ASS!! Other subtitled movies I have seen I have had trouble in keeping up with plot and the sub scroll too fast but BHOW I kept up and didnt loose a step. So I wont rage on subtitled movies anymore. B)

Thank god.

This week, im watching Brother & Rashomon, more asian subs (tho Spiffytee tells me Brother is a modern setting, whereas Rashamon is more of that old samurai stuff ive been watching here) so im not sure youd like either, but ya oughta go back & see Crouching Tiger sometime.

Speaking of Brotherhood of the Wolf - Spiffytee, did you know your version is the full one? In the half of your copy i saw, it had a lot of scenes that werent even on the "deleted scenes" section of the domestic version.

Any other sub'd movies you'd recommend Ian here, poeple?

I worked in a video shop over the summer, and the amount of people who brought films back complaining they were in another language was incredible. Amelie was the worst, so many people come back demanding a refund because it's in French and it doesn't say so on the box. Oddly enough, the only version of BotW on video that we had was the awful awful dub, and most people came back saying they loved it. When I asked if the Frenchness had bothered them, most hadn't even realised it was dubbed. You watch it and tell me you don't notice.

I have formed the opinion that the general public (or at least the video-renting portion of it) is almost entirely mental.

The story speaks volumes. Because I haven't seen BotW dubbed, I can't conclude baseed on any evidence whether it speaks volumes about the quality of the dubbing job on BotW or if it speaks volumes about the stupidity of the general public. However, my experience it that the general public is stupid and that dubbed live action movies suck, so I'll assume that the general public is stupid until proven otherwise. I don't have a problem with most dubbed animation however. Lots of what I've come to call elitist anime snobs, or EAS's for short, would disagree with me, but that my opinion. From my experience in Mexico and Argentina, I can tell you the best dubbed animation is Garfield, cause his lips don't move :P

Fuckin hell, we had it on dubbed by accident foir about 20 seconds of dialogue, thought it was blatantly obvious that it was dubbed.

That shit really annoys me tho; the # of people in the theatre in front of me when i went to see Crouching Tiger that said "What is this shit? Is it not Enlgish the whole way thought?! :D

I acknowledge, as Americans, we give fuck all to learning other languages - im guilty of it too - but at least watch something as the director intended if ya can. Dont wanna jump on the american bashing boat here, but when did our national attention span get to that of a ferret on heavy caffeine?

Granted, some things like the fansub Evangelion OAV finale were way too quick on the subs, but most times in large theatre realeses like this one, theyre well-paced. And those that passed up Amelie so quick - that's a shame.

I think it's a real fucking shame that people are so biased against subs. I think Amelie and Brotherhood are two of teh most accesible reccomendation friendly movies out there right now. I forget to tell people that they're french just because I think it's inconsequential. I do think it's a shame that you have to be somewhat distracted by subs when you want to be gawking at cool visuals sometimes (especially talking abotu anime here) so on repeated viewings I'll like dubs sometimes. The choice is obviously a great thing. I can barely take dubbing in live action tho, it just comes off as silly. Crouching tiger did the best I've seen with it, and even then I prefer the sub.

I love subtitled films because while English is a great language for displaying anger and insults (Transmetropolitan steal!), other languages are so much better for other emotions. Besides, after ten minutes you forget that the film is subtitled anyway.

On a side note, what was the language Crouching Tiger used? Mandarin or something?

What really pisses me off is when I have a widescreen movie on dvd and the subtitles show up on the footage. There's a how big black bar on the bottom of the screen to put subtitles on, but the put it right on top of the footage. That's pisses me off more than and bad dubbing job ever could :D

The biggest problem really is the absolute lack of education that the population retains. If people would simply read on occasion (even just the damn newspaper!) and keep their reading skills above 4th grade people shouldn't have a problem with subs at all.

The problem is that people equate reading with unneccessary thinking. Read? Why? :D Fuck that yo i'll wait for the movie. I mean, if you ever listen to people try to read things out loud in public its agonizing, the don't know what half their reading means, they can't pronounce the other half and they read in spurts while their brain grinds hard to try and keep up.

:D Its pathetic.

Now, i'm not saying everyone has to go nucking futs and ALWAYS have a stack of books ready to read on a continual basis like i usually do but hell, read something even if its a book a month or a newspaper a couple of times a month. Theres no good reason why a 5th grader who keeps up with his class can read better them 80% of the adult population...

:D

"What you readin that for?"

"So i dont end up waiting tables in the asscrack of America, honey."

- Bill Hicks replying to a waitress in Louisiana

Yeah, its a shame that subs are seen as a chore. Dont know which movies Jax says that put the subs inside the film itself offhand, but that too sucks.

And as for Crouching Tiger, if im not mistaken, its Mandarin when theyre formally speaking, when theyre talking amongst themselves, its Cantonese.

I've never had a problem with subs, I'm a quick reader (if I was a fast typer too I'd be dangerous), but even if you miss a line, well do you catch every line of dialogue in an English movie?

One thing I hate is a poor translation, one exceptional one is in the French movie Dobermann. Criminal Vincent Cassel gets away, cop Tcheky Karyo apparently says "Damn it!"...but since I speak some French I know his expletive "Putin de merde!" literally translates as "Whore of shit!" (I thought it might mean "Ass-fucking whore!" either).

Yeah just one small line but it's one of the best lines (easily beaten though by Tcheky Karyo to rent-boy after busting in on formal dinner with his parents - "I wonder if they know how many kilometres of cock you've sucked!").

Ultimately though, I hate to think that there's some brilliant films that'll be avoided just cos they're subbed, many of them amongst my favorites ever, Amelie, Shaolin Soccer, Das Boot, Battle Royale, Ring, etc...

I resisted the urge to slap them.

I wouldn't have, because I'm a guy, but you should have.

"I wonder if they know how many kilometres of cock you've sucked!"

Not bad, but I still like "I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into nine guys you've fucked!" from Boondock Saints better.

most people never read any faster than 5th grade level. why? because we stop teaching them how to read, by then they can do it on their own, why bother teaching them how to do it faster.

cause it saves time ! if i were only as diciplined as gonzo, i too could read at 1500 words per minute. according to him, reading is like running, when in shape, you can run forever without getting tired. if not, then a quick sprint across the street will leave you in cramps and burning lungs.

Fair enough, but what i always wonder when i see #'s like that: how much is really being comprehended, much less reflected on?

Not every line's Shakespeare, granted, but you rush through something and you mainly catch the climactic parts, i think its a shame to see good writing on the moments in between so easily run by & forgotten. The analogy's solid but it need not be a race.

Reading without comprehension and retention is a waste so that's also part of the training program. To extend the memory and analytical part of the brain to keep up with our reading speed, otherwise its just like looking at foreign text. B)

Yeah I mean poetry is just wasted to be read fast. Even we can read it faster but choose not to. Speed reading was meant to increase our max ability, so we cld read subs without blinking or read the morning news while taking a drink of OJ. A good novel I'll read at about 400 wpm. but at good parts ill stop and just daydream about it. Does that slow me down, yeah but who the hell cares.

it dosent take much brain power to read fast. All you need is to have a fast working brain.

Well you would need Brainpower and fast moving eyes to comprehend what you are reading and more so if you are combining that text with moving images to complete the absorbtion of the entire event.

A fast moving brain is the result of the above in constant use.

All you need to do is practice, not just reading reading. That won't do you any good. We both know you can read well or you wldnt be here B) .

Try this starter exercise and see if it works for you in a weeks time.

pick a newspaper article ( hint * they are designed for speed reading as the rows are of like 5 words max ) and practice focusing on words without care for meaning, just move as fast as you can see individual words for 5 minutes a day. just 5 mins. believe me, if your doing it right, you ll be exausted.

To train retention, take that same article or paragraph that ur familiar with allready to make things easier, and read it as fast as you can comprehend it. if you manage to reach reading faster than talking speed your doing allright :D practice reading that same article 2 or 3 times before changing.

try that for a week and then i ll bet you 5 bucks that you ll notice the subs moving quite a bit slower than before. :sly: