Hondo's Bar

Subtitled Movies

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I disagree. It was entertaining, but Crouching Tiger was far better. Drama-wise, the actors of Tiger pulled it off amazingly well for being primarily action stars (Yun Fat & Michelle Yeoh), and action-wise Wolf couldnt hold a candle to it.

Spongebob talked it up; I thought it was worth watching, didnt hate it like Spiffytee did - it had style to it, was enjoyable and all, but - yeah its just preference here i guess.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but yours are truly horrible. Im so glad i didnt show you Fight Club its not even funny.

Seriously, I shouldve known you wouldnt like it. Ah well. MLB good call man, I recall catchin it in theatres around a bunch of people who were like "why isnt this movie in english?" and despite that garbage it was still one of my favorites. I was so happy to see Chow, even without guns, and was really surprised to see Michelle Yeoh hold up as well as she did - i thought she was an all action chick since Supercop & alla that, but those two really nailed.

God of stunts & fights Woo-ping Yuen calling the shots, Ang Lee's direction, even Yo Yo Ma on the strings - this was a fantasy tale that required suspended belief, but i havent seen something flow like a kabuki play like this in such a big-budget cinema before. Wish there were more like it sometimes.

The moron test: If the subject watchs the film, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and reports a dislike for it, but states only two reasons for said dislike, and the two reasons are the subtitles and physical non-reality of the characters' martial arts abilities, that person is 99.9897% likely to be a total retard. No other single test is as reliable or conclusive as this one in reveling a subject's retardness.

Let it be noted that liking Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or disliking it for different reasons yeilds in an unconclusive result. Plenty of retards like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

PS IC, good work not showing tard boy Fight Club. It's an insult to the movie everytime a tard boy like him watches it, even if he likes it, as he will surely like it for all the wrong reasons.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

I really try not to make snap judgements but at times id be guilyt of such a criteria. If you dont like it for other reasons, that's plenty fair. There was a while in college where i thought it was huge turn off if chicks wouldnt even watch "Fight Club" cause it looked like "dumb guy-shit", still earns a chick mad cool points if she can at least say she thought it was interesting/etc whether or not she liked it...its not so much "do you like the same shit as me?" as "are you willing to even give something else a try, or are you so limited in what you like?" i guess...

I loved the subtitles, Mandarin is a far superior language than English. Would Amelie or Run Lola Run have been as good in English? I happen to think not.

The fact for the "fake" looking effects was all part of Crouching Tigers charm. It didn't try to match John Woo but rather mystify the audience and aim for more magical fight scenes. I also thought it combined humour very well with it. To mention nothing of the accomplished acting and script.

IC, I saw Crouching Tiger in the first week of its release. I walked into the cinmea to be faced with an emormous line. I was so worried until I eventually go to the ticket desk where the lady informed me it was also the opening weke of Castaway. Are people fickle or what? To add the icing on the cake, once the Oscars were announced Warner Village suddenly announced it was releasing it and the screens filled up unbelievably fast.