Hondo's Bar

Happy Birthday, Stan Lee!

Panch

JZA: they're not putting him out to pasture, just yet:

5AZWl.jpg

Quote: Finally, celebrate the historic 200th issue of What If? Since debuting in 1977, What If? has become a corner staple in the Marvel Universe by spotlighting “the road not traveled” by many of its heroes & villains as well as the domino effect that the point of divergence creates. What If? 200 offers two titanic tales— the main story is one with a different POV on Siege, “What If Norman Osborn Won the Siege of Asgard?” What if the Sentry didn’t lose control of the Void during battle, allowing for the Siege to ultimately decimate our heroes? With Osborn on top of the world, only one force stands in his way: Doom… and he’s not alone as he rebuilds the Cabal with the X-Men?! By Marc Guggenheim and Dave Wilkins. The second tale is one that will be talked about amongst the multiverse: the murder of Galactus at the hands of…the WATCHER!?! Based on the events in the classic “Coming of Galactus” storyline in ‘The Fantastic Four 48-50,’ this one is written by none other than the scribe of those original stories, Stan “The Man” Lee, himself. Joining him is recent FF artist, Dale Eaglesham. If there is only one back-up story you’ll read this year, true believers, it must be this one!

spoiler: it's going to be awful.

Of course he will read it, Ly! He knows EVERYTHING! But the question is why are N/JZA feeling the need to rain down the hate on the man The Man in the first place? We all know Stan is "The Man" b/c he's brilliantly talented.

Are the dorky duo of hateration, NZA/JZA, jealous of the fact Stan's had a documentary made of him?

Or are they jealous of his supremely pimp orthopedic kicks? Observe below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU0I2rhhcaM

ORRRRRR. . . are they jealous of the fact he is so talented that he can not only "write" a book about drawing w/out being an artist? Or does the N/JZA twin-headed-hate-baby jealousy stem from the fact that Stan "The Man" Lee can also wear the exact same outfit on two separate talk show appearances and not have anyone give a fuck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX0g6t__D_M

I think we all know the answer is: "all of the above." For shame on your rampant, mindless fanboy hateration. For. Shame.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Downvote 1

The Man's legacy is intact. He's not destroying it. That last post I made was a little tongue-in-cheeck. Sure, "the ol' gray mare ain't what she used ta be," but he is far from senile and you should at least respect the man for being 88 and still out there doing what he loves: promoting Stan Lee creating superheroes and heralding the awesomeness of comics. Maybe he's not making the same impact he is on comics, but the man has pretty much become the physical representation of comic books. To paraphrase Craig Ferguson, Stan Lee is the Walt Disney of comics. And the man still has his swagger. Hate on that. :pimp2:

'Nuff said.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Potay-to potah-to I guess. He's just done nothing but make a joke out of himself(if it's intentional then the man is better than Joaquim Phoenix at this shit) over the last decade and I just wish his people'd keep him away from dictaphones or Joey Q or whatever the fuck. Hell, I just don't like old people at all. Soon as I hit 60 I'm hitting 110MPH. The grandad in Little Miss Sunshine'll have nothing on me.

Potay-to potah-to I guess. He's just done nothing but make a joke out of himself(if it's intentional then the man is better than Joaquim Phoenix at this shit) over the last decade and I just wish his people'd keep him away from dictaphones or Joey Q or whatever the fuck. Hell, I just don't like old people at all. Soon as I hit 60 I'm hitting 110MPH. The grandad in Little Miss Sunshine'll have nothing on me.

Huh? I'm not saying Stan is doing being "tongue in cheek," but rather I was tongue-in-cheek about my adulation about him being infallibly awesome in my previous post.

I'm not saying the man is senile or anywhere near the legacy destroyer you make him out to be.

But now I think we all see your hate/loathing stems not so much from the fact Stan is still out there in the public eye, but rather from some odd hatred of the elderly in general. I'll be sure to relate your sentiments to any offspring you might sire so they can push you down the stair (like you tried to do to their mamma) when you hit 60. :2T:

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I guess I just believe in getting old with dignity. And please correct me if I'm misinterpreting, but you're basically saying that he's done enough to get a free pass forever, right? Or that he hasn't done enough to counterbalance the good works? Go read Just Imagine, or Stripperella. I invite you to...

I'm saying the fact he's even still going at his age is noteworthy and that he is still out there as a living ambassador for comics--the Geekfather, if you will--is deserving of respect.

I'll never read Striperella or any of the other horrible stuff he's written in the past 10-20 years--just like I'll never read any of the terrible issues of Spidey, Hulk, X-Men, etc (waves to ASC!) that he wrote back in the day. I'll stick to reading the good stuff--of which I'm sure there's limited supply. But this is what I'm saying, he's more than a writer or creator--he's the walking embodiment of comicdom. Respect the Geekfather, 'sall I'm sayin'.

damn, hakus. do a little homework before sassycatting up a fanboy thread, eh?

stan's legacy is questionable because, by his own admission, he takes credit for anything that's not nailed down. the extent of his claims on creating marvel are questionable enough given Ditko's introversion and Kirby's death, but what i recall driving off Miller and other writers in the 80s was moves where shooter/marvel heads wouldn't release kirby & others' works to their estates, even upon death where their families were struggling at the time. Stan's had his chance to go to bat for his partners/more talented creators, and he's failed every time ive seen it - but somehow always manages to make his name known for publicity stunts and the like. i respect the work he did; his face being made as marvel itself is kinda bullshit. as an aside, i was never a fan of his writing style (he used to employ a method where the artist drew panels and word balloons & the writer went back and filled them in later) - granted this is silver age shit, but its something i recall reading he fought for.

to his credit, Stan's made some effort to help out with worthwhile efforts like The Hero Initiative but to paint the man as a flawless legend who doesn't need to be (respectfully) put out to pasture means only that his marketing worked.

All that said, the guy's almost out of the picture. Five/eight years tops. Granted then they'll have all kind of memorials for him then and his legend will grow that much more. I'm not saying he'll be dead by that point, but this pasture to which you all speak of? He'll be on it and graising nicely soon enough.