Hondo's Bar

Top 10 Films of 2010

"The notion of objectively ordering works of art seems bizarre to me." – Roger Ebert

Yet he still puts out a Top 10 list every year anyway. So w/ that in mind, whata re your top ten films of 2010?

Here are the Top 10 Films that I saw in 2010*:

#10 Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallow Part 1

The climax to the Harry Potter series begins! I'm a fan of the novels, and despite my best efforts, I've had difficulty not comparing the films to the novels. I enjoyed the first two films well enough, and I was really pleased with the adaptations of the third and fourth novels. However, the fifth and sixth films really left me feeling disappointed—like opportunities were missed. Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 left me with no such feeling. Indeed, I think this is the best film of the series thus far. And even though I know how the novels conclude, I cannot wait to see how the film series plays out to its conclusion in Pt. 2.

#9 How To Train Your Dragon

The story is that of a misfit Viking trying to fit in. His village is plagued by dragon attacks and all he wants to be is the number one dragon slayer—until he befriends an injured dragon named Toothless. This film is the perfect package for a family film: it has heart, humor, and spectacular CGI action. I saw this film in both 2d & 3D in theaters, and the animation in this film definitely begs for the 3D technology to be quickly perfected for home theaters.

#8 The A-Team

By far one of the most enjoyable action films I've seen in a long time. Fans of the 1980s TV show will remember the short voice-over at the beginning of each episode explaining how these former soldiers became mercenaries known as The A-Team. Well, this movie is that story, and it's a hilarious one filled with one hyperbolic action scene after another. They also cram in some nice character arcs without coming off too corny. The bottom line is: if you like action films then you'll like this movie. If you liked the 80s TV show, you'll love this movie. And if you loved the 80s TV show then this film will likely be for you an experience so awesome that it may make your head explode—well, either that or make you pee yourself a little.

#7 Catfish

This is a sweet and enjoyable documentary on how modern day romance blooms and grows via facebook for the first two-thirds of the film, and then it becomes a haunting and engaging character study for the final third. I won't spoil the final act for you here, but this film will definitely have you talking afterwards about the thin line that separates delusion from reality and insanity from desperation.

#6 The Social Network

When writer Aaron Sorkin and director David Fincher team up to make a film about the creation of the world's most popular social network (*derp*facebook*derp*), I'm pretty much sold on that alone. However, the performances and gut wrenching irony of the story behind how Mark Zuckerberg's Internet empire was created in the "mean streets" of Harvard (where pretension and douche-baggery are as common among the students as brilliance and creativity) only make this filmgoing experience that much more layered and enjoyable.

# 5 True Grit

George Portis wrote a western novel called True Grit and John Wayne starred in the 1969 film version as morally questionable US Marshal Rueben "Rooster" Cogburn. Some people might say calling the 1969 version a "classic of the genre" is hyperbole—and those people would be asshats. So, it is no small compliment when I say the Coen Brothers have neither done the novel nor Wayne's film a disservice with their 2010 re-make. The Coen's version is slightly darker, and the violence more graphic, than Wayne's version. The Coen's take a more naturalistic approach to Portis' tale, while Wayne's version was more "Hollywood" in many ways—especially with the ending. And it is with the ending that I have my greatest complaint—it just kind of lays there with a thud. However, everything else from the dialogue to the performances is just about perfect. I could also nit-pick a bit about the pacing, but I won't. I enjoyed the rest of the film too much to bother you with those trifles. I highly recommend seeing this great addition to the Western genre.

#4 The Fighter

This film is directed by David O. Russell in a gritty documentary style and is based on the true story of Micky Ward and his half-brother Dick Eklund. Both brothers were boxers, but their lives and careers were drastically different. This film is a wonderful drama about boxing, the dynamics of Ward's family, and redemption. Both Ward and Eklund are fighters, but it is Eklund, who is played in an Oscar worthy performance by Christian Bale, that makes the greatest transformations in the film. I'll admit this film has a story we've all seen before (the underdog triumphs despite the odds); however, thanks to the outstanding performances and direction, I was never once bothered by that fact because I was too busy riding along with the characters on their emotional highs and lows on the roller coaster that is their lives.

#3 Toy Story 3

The first Toy Story film came out when I was working at a movie theater in high school, and I've been a fan of Pixar ever since. This film, like all Pixar films, has heart, humor, exquisite animation, a well paced plot, and most importantly—characters you truly care about.

#2 Inception

The closest thing I can compare seeing this film when time I saw The Matrix for the first time. While both films deal with reality and our concepts of reality, Inception is James Bond sleek where The Matrix is sci-fi stylized. The visuals are breathtaking, the soundtrack outstanding, performances are stellar, and the plot dizzyingly engaging. The only thing keeping this exceptional film from the #1 spot on my list is a movie that was made specifically just for me…

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

This movie was made for me in the sense it was custom-made for males 18-40. It's got superhero action, witty dialogue, video game references, wicked punk rock tunes by Beck, snarky characters to hate, awesome characters to cheer, and it uses kung-fu fights as a visual metaphor for all the baggage that comes in a romantic relationship. Anyone looking to gain insight into the heart, mind, and soul of a male movie/music/comic/gamer geek need go no further than this film.

-----------------------------------------------------------

* Films that I didn't get to see in 2010, but are films I hope to see in 2011 are: 127 Hours, All Good Things, The American, Blue Valentine, The Company Men, The Kids Are All Right, The King's Speech, Machete, and Somewhere.

1. Monsters

Awesome sci-fi flick that wasn't what I expected at all.

2. The Social Network

Who knew a film about Facebook could rock. Can't wait for the Wikileaks sequel. Soundtrack = Sex

3. Precious

IT WAS GOOD OK, SHUT UP. SHUT UP!!!

4. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World

Not read the comic or anything so I didn't know what to expect. Great film (despite Cera trying his best to be typecast).

5. The Illusionist

Awesome cartoon. :)

6. Jackass 3d

A whole load of laughs

7. The Other Guys

See above

8. Splice

Some very good sci fi.

9. Machete

NOT ENOUGH WORDS TO EXPLAIN HOW AWESOME!

10. Madeo (Mother)

Awesome characters, awesome setting and great dark humour at times.

Worst film of the year?

Saw 3d/Meet The Parents/Cop Out

Honourable mentions.

Exit Through The Gift Shop. Four Lions. Unstoppable.

Exit Through the Gift Shop, Jackass 3D and Illusionist are also on my "must see list," for 2010 films. I remember you raving about Monster in the other thread, and have put it on my queue. Also, I think Mother was on Ebert's top 10 foreign films list. I'll have to look into that one, too.

Precious was a 2009 film. Also, I think you meant Little Fockers and not Meet The Parents. So you fucked up there, champ.

Splice made Roeper's Worst of 2010 list. I swear, I think Adrian Brody got the Marissa Tomei disease after he won the Oscar as he's seemingly been in one horribly disappointing (or just plain horrible) sci-fi role after another since then.

The worst film I paid to see in a theater in 2010 was, by far, Grown Ups.

Hmm, I might be inclined to concede to your release date bollocks if you actually paid to see it in the theater and didn't just DL it. :hmm:

And Richard Roeper is the guy who took over reviewing films w/ Roger Ebert after Gene Siskel died. The guy's tastes in films are usually close to my own , especially in sci-fi, so I generally* listen to what he's got to say. Also, trailers for Splice had me cringing it looked so bad.

*I had to put this qualifier in there b/c he trashed The Other Guys and I thought it was hilarious.

I will admit to being a bit of a fanboy of the director. I love Cube more than I should. And bar his film "Nothing" I've dug everything he's put out.

It was going to be a given that for me, it'd be there. I'll also say once more. Fuck critics.

And I paid to see Precious. Bought Madeo (2009 release in South Korea) on dvd.

Splice is the movie that Species should have been. It's got a great social commentary on gene splicing and genetic engineering that's more than just "OMGZ MAN IZ PLAYENG GODZ OH NOEEES!!1" and the monster/villain of the movie is definitely not the monster/kid with the scorpion tail. I could see it not being someone's thing (it misses a few cues and there's one bit with Adrien Brody's chracter that literally makes no sense) but to throw it out there as one of the worst movies of this year, or any year for that matter kind of just makes anyone who claims to dissect movies and examine them look like a stupid asshole (in other words with that review he's filling Gene Siskell's seat quite well)

OK, DoJ. No more grief on Precious' release date. Now the gried begins about actually putting that film on your list. :2T: I honestly can say I've no desire whatsoever to see that film. And what's w/ this "fuck all critics" faux-punk stance. We're ALL critics. So, unless you've got some serious self-loathing issues, color me confused w/ that statement.

And Baytor, you and DoJ are apologists for this film in your praise--and Baytor for horror films in general. No offense, but I'd take Roeper's word on an unseen film over Baytor's any day. I mean, you liked Let Me In better than the original. :uhm:

Gotta defend splice here as well. I'd recommend it to any sci-fi fan. No real order to my list cause it is enough work for me to try and remember what all came out this year, but here it is :p

How to Train Your Dragon - makes dragons likable again

Scott Pilgrim vs the World- a great homage to comics and video games

Paranormal Activity 2- I think I peed a little

Cop Out The Other Guys- way better than I thought it was gonna be

MegaMind- my second dose of Ferrel was better than the first

Hot Tub Time Machine- makes me like the 80s

True Grit- was gritty. and awesome.

Oceans- very beautiful movie

Harry Brown- Alfred's had enough

Let Me In- one of those few American remakes that does it just a bit better.

lots of cool ones that didn't make the list- Iron Man 2, The Good The Bad The Weird, Tron, Kick-Ass, Rec 2, Daybreakers, Inception, Centurion, Valhalla Rising.

still need to see Monsters also. Looks very cool.

Ah, Harry brown. There's another one I need to see. And I agree w/ you on Mega Mind. It's been a banner year for Dreamworks animation. I think all 3 of their films made the top 10 highest grossing films of 2010 list. I didn't bother watching Dreck Shrek 4 though.

10) tie - Centurion/Let Me In

9) Toy Story 3

8) Kick-Ass

7) Hot To Train Your Dragon

6) True Grit

5) Hot Tub Time Machine

4) Tron: Legacy

3) tie - Megamind/The A-Team

2) tie - Black Swan/Defendor

1) Inception

Honorable mentions: Alice in Wonderland, Iron Man 2, Clash of the Titans, The Wolfman, Shutter Island, Cop Out, Robin Hood, Survival of the Dead, Splice, The Karate Kid, Predators, Scott Pilgrim VS The World, Easy A

Crap: Day Breakers, Legion, The Crazies, Due Date

And what's w/ this "fuck all critics" faux-punk stance. We're ALL critics. So, unless you've got some serious self-loathing issues, color me confused w/ that statement.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I just have a natural prejudice against people professionally(or recreationally) expressing opinions that I give not a fuck about. I can't even anticipate what i'd like, let alone what some crusty film wanker thinks.

I was staying clear of Centurion as the trailers made it look a little cheesy, but since you and Axel give it praise I'll put it on my queue. Curious to see Tron:Legacy so far up on a list though. You really thought it was that good, huh?

Centurion was cool. It gave me what Robin Hood lacked. And I'm a sucker for historical fiction. Tron: Legacy was great! I had barely remembered the original then everything came flooding back while in the theater for Legacy. The mythology of the Tron world interests me. Also, it gave me the feeling Matrix 2 did.

And Baytor, you and DoJ are apologists for this film in your praise--and Baytor for horror films in general. No offense, but I'd take Roeper's word on an unseen film over Baytor's any day. I mean, you liked Let Me In better than the original. :uhm:

I apologize for no movie and Splice is no masterpiece but it's not worthy of the ire that Roeper, Nick Nunziata, and a few other people who are paid to think for others seem to give it.

I heard your arguments for Let Me In and they made no sense and just kinda sounded like fanboyism. I've not inquired much on your tastes on horror given that what I've heard from you has mortified me and made me realize I don't want to know more. But, maybe you should just watch the movie instead of letting someone make your decision for you. :wink:

I apologize for no movie and Splice is no masterpiece but it's not worthy of the ire that Roeper, Nick Nunziata, and a few other people who are paid to think for others seem to give it.

I heard your arguments for Let Me In and they made no sense and just kinda sounded like fanboyism. I've not inquired much on your tastes on horror given that what I've heard from you has mortified me and made me realize I don't want to know more. But, maybe you should just watch the movie instead of letting someone make your decision for you. :wink:

The crux of what I was saying with my "fuck critics" stance.

At the end of the day its just somebody's opinion, man. Just cause a critic says something good or bad doesn't make it good or bad. I say just try it out and if it don't fit, take it back. Who knows, it might just work out.

. . .But, maybe you should just watch the movie instead of letting someone make your decision for you. :wink:

OK, at the risk of moving these posts like I did J/NZA's TRONversation, I will respond thusly: Deciding to not watch a movie based on Roper's criticism of Splice is no more letting him make a decision for me than watching the film based on your praise would be. I simply choose to weigh his opinion more than yours in making my decision to not watch the film. I suspect you know this (wink smiley?) and were merely doing a bit of trolling, but I just wanted to make sure just in case. :2T:

Now, back to bidness--where are the rest of the top 10 lists? Baytor, J/NZA, Mal????

Archived