Hondo's Bar

Netflix

Rumor: Disney interested in purchasing Netflix

In the world of media companies, the water cooler is always a busy place — and it’s been hopping lately over rumors that Walt Disney Co. is thinking of buying Netflix.

Disney — not just a theme park giant but also the owner of movie studios, cable networks, and broadcast network ABC, among other things — is reportedly considering snapping up another bit of media, MarketWatch reports.

The news comes on the heels of reports that the house of mouse is working on a deal to buy Twitter.

crazy rumors, i'd no idea that they already own 30% of hulu

So yeah, we talked a lot about Netflix over the last few eps. Here's the main talking points:

Yes, the library is decreasing. Why? Because they are going to film festivals and dumping HUGE amounts of cash into "original content". Netflix wants 50% of their content to be Netflix branded. If this means a few (10,000 less) shit TV shows and movies? So be it.

Netflix just paid a shit ton of money to get CW shows on Netflix the DAY AFTER THE SEASON FINALE. No more waiting till the DVD release BS for the full seasons (for those of you who only watch it on Netflix. You heathens).

Is this a good thing? Well you have to get the CW app to watch CW shows week to week if you don't have TV which isn't bad just one more damn app on my Xbox. And yes, Netflix is becoming its own station and they see the value in that as do their consumers. We get shit like Stranger things at the loss of thousands of movies from your queue, that to be honest, you were not going to fucking watch anyway.

As for the Disney deal? I think personally it's farther along than you think. I think a lot of alliances are being made and we already saw that with the deals going on with Disney a few months back.

Part of me thinks Disney controlling a majority or outright buying Netflix is a baaaad idea for fans. Disney already controls most of my favorite properties, and so far so good in the handling of those properties. But too many eggs in one basket and whatnot. Netflix and their execs are winning on their own. Let's keep the market as diverse as possible, which already isn't all that diverse to begin with.

Did y'all not hear what I said? DARYL WANTS TO BE GHOST RIDER!

He could still be Daany Ketch, I guess. :/

• 1 year later...

Netflix to spend upwards of $8 billion on content in 2018

Netflix, set to spend upwards of $8 billion on content in 2018, will have in the neighborhood of 700 original TV shows on the service worldwide this year, according to CFO David Wells.
The huge bucket of content is driving up Netflix’s subscriber base, said Wells, speaking Tuesday at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference. The “700-range” figure he cited includes 80 non-English-language original productions from outside the U.S., such as psychological thriller “Dark” from Germany and “Club de Cuervos” from Mexico. The total encompasses both new and existing original series (such as “Orange Is the New Black” and “Narcos”).
In addition to original series, Netflix is planning to release 80 original films in 2018, chief content officer Ted Sarandos said last fall.

• 1 month later...

Netflix is now worth $145B, just $8 billion less than Disney.

Here's the thing, though.  A lot of people really like the TV show that have never read the comic, it had a definite fan base.  Is it terribly faithful to the comic? Yes and no, I'd say tonally it's fairly close and that's both good and bad.  Preacher hasn't aged that well, a lot of its hyper-macho and anti-religious iconography that was so edgy and cool at the time reads as fedora-fodder in the modern era.  I can assure you no more people are being turned off by the show than would be by the actual book.

ill agree to ennis' writing not aging great in some places - but i do believe a better showrunner could update bits & make it work, whereas parts of this are either hokie-r (the soul stuff, arseface's adventures with hitler in hell etc) or just feel like they're not going anywhere interesting (tulip is a great example here - yes, she absolutely needed more character here than she had in the book, but much of it was falling flat for me) 

i really should let this show finish before saying more but the last season was painful 

You think thise things are hokier than the character so fat that he literally breaks the landing gear on a full-sized jet, a kid so imbred that he has one giant Cyclops eye, or a racist dwarf fucking a giant woman made out of cuts of meat?  I mean, I don't love Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen's style myself but it's pretty synaptic with Ennis.  I grant that the pacing ia weird but that's mainly because we have a road map of where things are going and it seems like they're taking their time getting to the fireworks factory, I've not encountered anyone who hasn't read the book that feels it's slow.  They did take a knee on Tulip this season but they're putting in a lot of work on fixing Jesse and Cassidy remains a triumph, besides Tulip is still a far better character in the show than she was in the book.

she is, i still think the past stuff about their families bores me to tears but i think what keeps me hanging on is that a well structured important arc (like the better-be-incoming-until-the-end-of-the-world) could salvage a lot & make it worth my time.  

to the other stuff: again, it's crazy how much of those bits wizard adored in the day, and i looked over (like so many silly ennis-isms) because the meat of the book was so very worth it to me.  the difference between this & say, your Hitman is that, that book was sold as a piss-take that surprised you with dark, interesting character moments, whereas i always thought preacher was kinda billed the other way around - making fan "favorites" like the meat woman just kinda things i glossed over (along with the sex detectives and so very many other things).  

i almost wish i could remove myself from my love of the book to not have the pacing be such a huge issue for me, like it's hard to picture caring about so much that's been happening in the last few episodes even with that knowledge. 

• 4 years later...

Netflix reconfirms Password Sharing prevention will start in Early 2023

The end of password sharing is coming to Netflix soon—and it will be a challenge for both viewers and the streaming giant.

More than 100 million Netflix viewers now watch the service using passwords they borrow—often from family members or friends, the company says. Netflix has said that it will put an end to that arrangement starting in 2023, asking people who share accounts to pay to do so. The company expects to begin rolling out the change in the U.S. early in the year.

“Make no mistake, I don’t think consumers are going to love it right out of the gate,” Netflix Co-CEO Ted Sarandos told investors in early December, adding it was up to the company to make sure users see value in paying for the service

coupling this with the big layoffs (especially black/minority creators, and much of their animation department) really feels like they're fucking up, only less so than hbo/discovery i guess

one day down the road we'll have a documentary on the next service about how capitalism's need for infinite growth ruined a lot of art

• Like 1