Hondo's Bar

X-Men: First Class

Anyone else get a Mad Men vibe from the look for the footage. I mean, it's obviously the same era, but it also a kind of Mad Men sensibility.

To the extent that we see a Black and white set and January Jones appears to be exceptionally bangable. Otherwise, notsomuch. Not a bad trailer though. not exciting the way you guys seem to find it, but interesting.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from Jax's racist remarks (C'mon, man!), I think January Jones is the perfect Emma Frost. As Betty Draper she plays cold, detached, and petulant quite well. Add mental powers and an s&m wardrobe and you've pretty much* got the White Queen.

*Granted, Emma has a cunning and certain amount of evil genius that Betty lacks. However, i think Jones can pull it off. And if she can't, I'll likely be too distracted by her wardrobe to notice.

Still, do we like a red Nightcrawler? I mean, I'm not completely sure its him, but he was bamfing all over the place and had the tail. If its just not to have another blue guy like Beast, that's stupid.

No I was curious about that and wiki'd it. It's Kurt's dad, and apparently a demon. It's Canon...

Yeah, it was from Chuck Austen's god awful run on Uncanny in like 2002-03. I'm just glad Kurt's no longer around to see this....

Yeah, it was from Chuck Austen's god awful run on Uncanny in like 2002-03

As was scrolling down the page, that's what I was planning on posting. It gets an automatic demerit from having an Austen character in it.

But then it gets a small nod for having a Grant Morrison character. Or at least a thin, attractive version of one. It would get double points if it had her fucking a hideous bird man.

I really don't want to get excited about this. Origins: Wolverine was one of the most godawful movies I saw that year. I don't think there was 90 seconds of that movie that I didn't despise. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

There's alot of hate going around about this film, especially since the only person attached to it from a previous X-film is Bryan singer, whom was only involved in the first two. Unless the last flick was so bad, it soured you on the source material itself, it seems people who are hating on this flick are like the people who hated on Batman Begins because of Batman & Robin (I knew a lot of people who refused to see BB in theaters because of B&R). Matthew Vaughn did Layer Cake and Kick-Ass, that's enough to give him the benefit of the doubt from me. I'm not foolishly optimistic, but I'm not irrationally spiteful either. I like X-Men as a source material, and I liked X2, and I liked two of Matthew Vaughn's films (I didn't see Stardust), so I'm open to this film being worth my time and money.

Good points, Jax. Layer Cake was pretty badass. He did what he could with Stardust, it at least captured the spirit of the book pretty well. Kick Ass let me down, but I think that's mainly because the comic had such a different tone in my head. And arbitrarily adding jetpacks with gattling guns and completely changing a cool character into a lame Adam West is fucking retarded.

Unlike a lot of folks, I've got no beef with X3. I liked that movie just fine. It didn't blow my mind or nothin', but it didn't make me want to bite on my cyanide tooth filling either.

It has nothing to do with source material. I really wish they'd make an X-Men movie that actually used some source material outside of bullet points on the back of trading cards. That said, the first X-Men movie was probably better than the decade or so of books that preceded it, so it may be for the best.

I'm still keeping my X-Men babies expectations very low. It's the safe thing to do.

As was scrolling down the page, that's what I was planning on posting. It gets an automatic demerit from having an Austen character in it.

But then it gets a small nod for having a Grant Morrison character. Or at least a thin, attractive version of one. It would get double points if it had her fucking a hideous bird man.

^this. don't give a shit what everyone's resumes look like; we're going in on a bad foot here.

you know we're not gonna see Beak, much less angel/tempest.

ok, wait a sec. This Azazel, Nightcrawler's demon father (which sounds pretty fucking cool to me), is a teleporter and gave this power to his son.... Mystique is a mutant and gave her... blue skin to her son? so Nightcrawler is half demon and the mutant half doesn't do anything?

Also, are we to just forget certain parts of the last 3 movies? or are those canon and Origins: Wolverine was all a dream bullshit? I think I read the latter of that is actually what's up. Marvel lore gives me a headache.

I remember when I first came to Hondo's I got so much shit from everyone for not decrying X3 as an unholy, botched abortion that Brett Ratner sent scurryying into the world to torment fanboys. Now I see how X3 is getting more slack form Hondonians as time passes on (and especially after that horrible excuse for a Wolverine solo film--which I did by on Black Friday for $5 to watch one night when I'm feeling only slightly suicidal and need that extra "oomph" to push me over the edge).

As for First Class, I don't understand how that trailer cannot get an X-Men fan hyped. I'm not super crazy about the actor cast as Xavier, but as Jax wrote prior, director Matthew Vaughn has delivered three quality films so far. I'm expecting him to put out a great film.

^if you're looking for consistency talk to arch, that's his bag, i stand firm on the notion that X3 is every bit as much shit as it was whenever you signed up, and wolverine borigins/spidey 3/etc being awful doesn't somehow make it any better for me. it's a bad movie, and you're a bad person for defending it.

so Nightcrawler is half demon and the mutant half doesn't do anything?

Chuck-fucking-Austen

Nightcrawler can also stick to walls and do a chameleon in shadows. I guess those are his mutant abilities now.

I guess this also means that when angry villagers with pitchforks were trying to lynch him for being a demon it was completely justified.

Also, are we to just forget certain parts of the last 3 movies? or are those canon and Origins: Wolverine was all a dream bullshit? I think I read the latter of that is actually what's up. Marvel lore gives me a headache.

In a comic book (or movie) universe, you have one of two options: you can allow writers to decide things previous writers did are to be forgotten and don't count because they don't like them or the public didn't like them or they some how conflict with the direction you're taking the story now. To maintain some level of cohesion, you reserve this power and use it sparingly. The second option is that everything is sacred always and forever. Now, just think about that second option? Really pour over your knowledge of the various fantasy mythologies that have been created my dozens and dozens of writers over many decades. Is that second option at all appealing?

Anyway, I fully understand apathy or lack of interest in this flick, I'm not saying you have to be excited, but enthusiastic antipathy just seems ill-placed. Even if you have decided you want to invest none of your ill will towards issues like war lords and rape and inaccessibility to clean drinking water in many places in the world and lack of political will to address energy sustainability or, you know, something that matters in the real world, aren't there many, many, many other fanboy gripes more worthy our your mind's limited waking time to dwell on?

Good lord Jax, why are you wasting your valuable waking time posting here instead of scrubbing the oil off a baby Malaysian? Why not think about reconstituting destructive carbon fragments instead of vigorously masturbating with Archangel? Aren't there other things you could spend your time and valuable intellect contemplating instead of complaining about fanboy gripes concerning comics you will never, ever be bothered to read or blended fruit beverages?

Also, you do this thing where you quote one person and bitch about an opinion someone else had. It's jarring.

I'm just saying what's the point of getting upset that a story you didn't like in the first place got retconned?

you lost me here - i liked nightcrawler's story; chuck making him an actual demon (and a priest! EDGY) felt lazier than paying someone to go get the low-hanging fruit for you. i'm not sure how exactly this'll play into the film, but i'm not overly-excited about a project i was kinda wary of to begin with running with this as source material...if they can turn shit into gold, by all means, but it's an odd choice when there's so much else to run with.

on the other hand: X3 toyed with morrison's "cure for mutants" angle, which i thought whedon presented in a way that'd lend itself well to film...but they literally went nowhere with it, and if it weren't for a split-second of mostly-naked mystique, id say it was squandered to the point that i wish they'dve not even used it.

Archived