Hondo's Bar

X-Men: First Class

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that was actually pretty cool. There wasn't anything that really bothered me or pissed me off about it, so that's something. It felt rushed and disjointed in parts, and I'm not a big fan of the "beginner to a pro" training montage film making tool. I guess the biggest problem I had is that I wanted more X-Menish power use and stuff, and you can't really say a film that makes you want more of it is bad.

Sweet fucking cameos, which shouldn't even be mentioned in spoiler tags, because someone will click it anyway and I'm damn glad it wasn't spoiled for me.

I will say this, as a public service to Hondonians:

There is nothing after the credits. Just go home.

Is this one of those mindfucks, where you're just trying to throw us off the scent? Is there really nothing after the credits? That's just fucking un-marvel-esque.

I wouldn't do you like that, brojangles.

Half the theater stuck around, the sound of a hundred people groaning in disgust when it looped back to movie trivia was chilling.

Is this one of those mindfucks, where you're just trying to throw us off the scent? Is there really nothing after the credits? That's just fucking un-marvel-esque.

The real question is: Why aren't you the one telling us this? Didn't Australia get this movie before us? :p

Just got back from seeing it.

Emma Frost had no personality. (That's only her in diamond form)

Alex should have been able to go into the reactor and absorb anything Shaw dished out.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed it.

Also:

Great use of the one "fuck" you can say in a PG-13 movie.

Just got back from seeing it.

Emma Frost had no personality. (That's only her in diamond form)

Alex should have been able to go into the reactor and absorb anything Shaw dished out.

Also:

Great use of the one "fuck" you can say in a PG-13 movie.

Yes, thankfully she was used sparingly. Bitch can't act for shit. Shaw's whole crowd had no character. Azazael had like 3 lines and I don't think Riptide said a goddamn word.

Good point, citing Meltdown precedent, but I guess it's defensible since neither he or Charles probably knew that much about how his power worked yet. I gather the whole thing takes place over like 2 weeks. Also, Shaw can output that as pure kinetic energy as well, and Havok can't absorb fists.

YESSSSS!

Yeah, this thing was solid. It was strange, but really fun to see a lighter side of Xavier when he was a young man, hitting on British chicks and all that. Michael Fassbender delivered a nearly perfect performance as Erik/Magneto. I hope to see him in a lot more films (it'll make playing Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon all the more easy). I wouldn't say January Jones can't act, but she was not used in the movie very well, and I'd say that's more about the script than it is about Jones, which is a shame because Frost is one of the books' more fun characters.

Great flick. I'm planning on watching the first two again soon, I'll be able to compare them based on fresh viewings.

Over the last 15 years or so, Emma has become a pretty cool character. The problem very well could have been in the direction she was given. If I was running the show, and she delivered lines like that, I would have backhanded her and made her do it again until she got it right.

Now that is how you make an X-Men film. By far the best of the entire franchise although I'm not so sure it's part of the old franchise, a lotta shit doesn't make sense timewise. Personally I wouldn't be bothered if they just did a Star Trek on it, and alternate timeline it, so as we don't know what to expect when it comes to sequels.

Fassbender is the fucking shit, although, not sure if ye noticed but his Irish accent came through a bit. Phenomenal performance though, McAvoy too.

For a non fans perspective, I saw it with a friend of mine who had no previous knowledge of the X-Men in any shape or form and she fucking loved it.

8/10

Tempted to give it higher for

"Go fuck yourself"

Seriously don't open unless you're a douchebag who wants to ruin the movie

Wolverine is back baby

Yeah, Fassbender's accent slipped more than a few times. Man, he really did knock the entire performance out of the park.

Your first spoiler was a highlight for me. Loved that part so hard. Your second Inceptionesque spoiler-within-a-spoiler gets a giant BOOO-URNS. Don't give these bastards the opportunity, even with a disclaimer.

Although, knowing the internet, it probably became common knowledge like 6 hours ago anyway.

Archived