Hondo's Bar

Graphic Novels for Kids

Master Star

In my never-ending battle against illiteracy...when I get 3rd graders who can't read...and with the growing and ever present numbers of boys who are in Special Education classes...I have found that boys and girl alike enjoy graphic novels...I haven't read many and know of some...but I was wondering that for those of you who know...if you could share with me...so I can bring those books into my classroom library.

K, Thanks, Bye!

If you by graphic novels you mean manga type stuff then the shonen stuff should be ok, things like one piece, naruto, dragonball, etc... though thats more targeted to boys, I'll have to look around for more shojuo stuff, like sailor moon and such, Newtype could proabbly think of a few more.

or go with nicks idea, that would rock.

What about Bone? I know its probably a bit much for 3rd graders, but didn't kids read Lord of the Rings and shit before cell phones and the internet? I'll think of more later.

My friend's son in 4th grade reads those...and he really seems to like them...now I just have to find the money to buy them for my class...or con some money out of the PTA...

If you by graphic novels you mean manga type stuff then the shonen stuff should be ok, things like one piece, naruto, dragonball, etc... though thats more targeted to boys, I'll have to look around for more shojuo stuff, like sailor moon and such, Newtype could proabbly think of a few more.

or go with nicks idea, that would rock.

I have only heard of Naruto and dragonball..and yes Sailor Moon...I'll have to look into the others...thanks much!

What about Bone? I know its probably a bit much for 3rd graders, but didn't kids read Lord of the Rings and shit before cell phones and the internet? I'll think of more later.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Also, Calvin & Hobbes was the first thing I ever got excited about reading.

Just got Flight Explorer One for my library project.

It's from the same people that do the amazing 'flight' but this is targetted at younger kids.

The stories are short, between 8 to 16 pages, with amazing colorful stylish art and accesible dialogue and linear plots.

It's NOT preachy at all, but still carries good vibes and values.

I give it my HIGHEST recommendation.

Also, I haven't seen it yet, but I understand there's an Ender's Game comic series around. Ender's Game the novel is my favorite for introducing tweens to reading scifi. Maybe the comic would be better for grade 3?

I also have a copy of an Alex Rider graphic novel, but I haven't read it yet. Gonna let you know more about it when I do, but it's basically a 15 year old James Bond type character saving the world from Evil.

I cannot recommend Calvin and Hobbes enough. I've used it in classes here in Guyana and in Toronto and kids 'get it' right away. And as an older reader now I find that surprising. I mean, no one tells you that Calvin is dreaming of blowing up his school or riding a dinosaur or that Hobbes is only visible to him etc but The kids never stumble on that. I actually triggered a run on Calvin and Hobbes books in Toronto when I used it there, cuz the kids were impatient with my piecemeal dishing out of the strips.

Lastly, there's a Halo and Sprocket book my brother has about an Angel and Robot living with a human girl. The humor is average and gets kinda philosophical but the art is very friendly, almost cartoony, and you might get some kids to take interest that way.

Calvin and Hobbes is AMAZING!! My class and I had a whole 10 minute conversation about Calvin and Hobbes and I told them all about the comic...now they fight over the books I have and want to take them home to read them all the time...they are slowly making their way around the room...I have to get some more copies...I have 29 students and more than half of them are boys...but the girls are jumping on the bandwagon too! It's really exciting to see them love reading as much as I do...slowly but surely...

Also, speaking of Halo, there are lots of graphic novels & picture graphi novels for commerical properties like the Halo video game. I picked up a Pirates of the Caribbean one last week.

I've got a few of the Star Wars Tales trade paperbacks and Rogue Squadron collection paperbacks the art and stories are pretty good. Lots of other star wars comics series too.

I think the recognition of things like Halo and Pirates and Spiderman make it a draw for reluctant reading kids who might be willing to brave a book for a character/setting that they know and like.

Star, the 25 cent bin at your local comic book shop is your friend. I teach middle school and got all my classroom comics from there. Sort through there and you'll find some real bang for your buck. You really want to get the kids into seeking out comics on there own, so don't go broke buying up every graphic novel that is suggested.

Also, I think some of the suggestions you've been getting here are a bit over the 3rd grade level--especially for kids struggling at that level. Panch is spot on w/ Bone though. That'd be a great addition to a 3rd grade classroom. BOOM! Studios has a line of kid friendly comics including a license w/ Disney/Pixar. And gun and others were also right about there being a plethora of kid friendly manga out there. However, again, most of it is middle-school level so you'll want to skim through it and make sure it's level appropriate. I'm not sure if you know what AR is, but this site is excellent at showing reading levels for all sorts of books: www.arbookfind.com

Good luck!

As a kid I enjoyed some old Looney tunes and Donald Duck comics with Scrooge and the 3 nephews. I read them literally to tatters.

Mine were from the 1960s or so, but I know there are modern Looney tunes comics and probably modern Disney comics (Ducktales maybe?)

They might be some collected trades out there but also the 25 cent bin as Haku pointed out would be a good place for this stuff.

There's really none your way. Down on Bird road and 57th is A&M Comics. Also, Coral Way and 87th is Mac's Comics. Wait, I totally forgot! Right behind the Ol Cutler Town Center right next to that Walgreens there is a comic place! I forget the name, but its there. It's not really comics, its for card games and shit, but it does have comics. Fuck! What's the name?

Wait, I totally forgot! Right behind the Ol Cutler Town Center right next to that Walgreens there is a comic place! I forget the name, but its there. It's not really comics, its for card games and shit, but it does have comics. Fuck! What's the name?

Oh yea, I know where you are talking about...and it's next to CVS. Don't know the name but it's worth a shot.

I guess I'll have to go on a field trip maybe this weekend...we'll see if I have any success...

Archived