Hondo's Bar

Graphic Novels for Kids

Master Star

So I gave one of my struggling readers a Bone book today...and he is an ESOL student too...he asked...Ms. Star...can you find me other books by this author too...he loved it...I love that munchkin...it's a 2nd grade reading level...but I'll take it if it keeps him reading! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad Bone was mentioned, that's the first thing that came to mind.

The second thing was Little Lit. My kid got the first one when he was 4 and has always dug it since. It's an anthology series from some of the best people to ever do comics, Art Spiegelman, Francoise Mouly, Dan Clowes, Neil Gaiman, Walt Kelly, Charles Burns, Jim Woodring, Kaz, Chris Ware...I could go on.

It's great stuff, all family friendly. Most of it's pretty "easy reading", great art, and it offers some variety if they don't like a particular contributor. Highly recommended.

Speaking of Walt Kelly, Pogo is a pretty great strip that I always dug right beside Calvin & Hobbes as a kid. It has that same cool humor that doesn't patronize kids, while entertaining adults and extra clever children who "get it".

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but if you can track down "Spidey Super Stories" they would be a worthwhile addition. They were made in conjunction with The Electric Company and I think they played a big factor in teaching me how to read.

• 3 months later...

They now offer the Bone series through Scholastic books, which is a huge supplier for classroom libraries all over the country...and the boys love them. The reading level isn't too difficult and they love the art...many times instead of reading I catch them tracing the pictures...but hey, they have to look at the words at some point (I hope) so they know what is going on.

Thank you for all the suggestions...I think I may try to aquire more titles this summer, if I can find some good deals...we'll see!

^^Put those Scholastic teacher pts to use on comics? I like it! I just used mine for a few supplies and some Bone TPBs as well.

<3, <3, <3 Scholastic...I have turned my students into bookworms...they would almost rather read than do anything else academic.

Well they love fractions too, after I found a fun way to teach them.

Archived