Hondo's Bar

Comic Conventions: Share your tales!

Mr. Hakujin

What's your favorite thing about a con?  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I couldn't find a thread for comic conventions in general to post in, so if there is one, please merge, Nick.

So I went to my first legit comic book convention this weekend. Previous conventions I've been to in the New Orleans area were never really any bigger than a hotel ball room. But thanks to Wizard restructuring their company and doing these "tours" (which I'm assuming they get more bang for their buck when booking celebs this way) NOLA has finally gotten a legit con!

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" salign="l" flashvars="&titleAvailable=true&playerAvailable=true&searchAvailable=false&shareFlag=N&singleURL=http://wgno.vidcms.trb.com/alfresco/service/edge/content/492824a7-6cb4-42d2-94fc-4b3dc098c31a&propName=wgno.com&hostURL=http://www.abc26.com&swfPath=http://wgno.vid.trb.com/player/&omAccount=tribglobal&omnitureServer=abc26.com" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" menu="true" name="PaperVideoTest" bgcolor="#ffffff" devicefont="false" wmode="transparent" scale="showall" loop="true" play="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" quality="high" src="http://wgno.vid.trb.com/player/PaperVideoTest.swf" width="300" align="middle" height="450">

167678_10150405467990451_521600450_17321402_2824775_n.jpg

That's me standing as close as I could get to Ernie Hudson to take a pic w/out paying $30--or doing a news story on him. The guy he's posing w/ is the news reporter from the above clip.

Here's some pics and observations from my day there...

Con - not just an abbreviation for "convention"

The biggest observation I can take away from this experience is: people will chisel you every which way for your cash here. Never mind that I paid $35 to get in the door for one day (apparently that's just for the privilege of the panels), but something as simple as taking my picture w/ a car on display will cost me an additional $20! But the cheap discerning fanboy can cut some corners. You already saw how I saved $30 by getting my photo w/ Ernie Hudson. Here's How I saved $20 getting my picture w/ the Back to the Future Delorean time machine:

This shot of the car w/ me in the seat: $20

180222_10150405466400451_521600450_17321365_5068220_n.jpg

This shot behind the car: free!

168590_10150405466270451_521600450_17321361_8048517_n.jpg

A picture of me, Adam West, and Burt "Boy Wonder" Ward: $125 (Yes, $125!!!)

This shot of them charging people $60 for autographs: free (although, you really do get what you pay for w/ this shot):

167230_10150405666255451_521600450_17324961_6072955_n.jpg

And a shot of Adam West hurriedly walking past a vending machine. He's on a diet and didn't want to be tempted by the junky goodness within. Also free.

168179_10150405598565451_521600450_17323862_3842317_n.jpg

Shwag! Does anyone really use that word anymore, or is it just me?

I thought it was $20 well spent on the "Zombie w/ No Name" print and signature from Suydam. And Mark Texeria signed probably my all-time favorite Ghost Rider cover (glow-in-the-dark, y'all!) Now, to get them framed for display...heh, let's not hold our breath.

168582_10150405464675451_521600450_17321324_7889227_n.jpg

168922_10150405598360451_521600450_17323855_6472737_n.jpg

I wanted them all, but at $20 a pop I had to pass. And I love the slogan for Optimus on the end, but they could've used a better picture. And below is an anti-vampyre kit. You know it's legit b/c they spell vampire w/ a 'y.'

168461_10150405458620451_521600450_17321202_6004171_n.jpg

My other shwag from the con. Beads were free, Dr. Manhatton was only $5. The Mathilda comic is from a local guy that lost all his original artwork in Katrina, so I did my bit to help a brother out there. Picked up the Star Trek insignia, and the Super Mario star, squid and turtle shell from pretty much the only guy taking plastic at the con. Note to self--bring lots of cash next year.

168994_10150405464835451_521600450_17321327_8210613_n.jpg

Comic Book Artists will speak to you, sign things, and (may even) take pics w/ you for free!*

168461_10150405458630451_521600450_17321203_4498858_n.jpg

Arthur Suydam. He had the most tables of any artist there, so I guess he "headlined" artists alley. He was a machine--signed for hours straight--and he seemed like a nice guy. He gave this kid in front of me a free comic and signed it. But then he charged $20 for a signed mini-poster, so I guess he could afford it. :/

Ethan Van Sciver of

Oh, he also draws comics, apparently, as well.

164562_10150405467600451_521600450_17321389_2197787_n.jpg

*mostly

Cool costumes!

I got this shot especially for Ly:

179474_10150405465340451_521600450_17321335_329650_n.jpg

I'm a sucker for steam punk

179370_10150405465645451_521600450_17321339_3026330_n.jpg

Doug sucks. Quail Man rules!

180578_10150405467850451_521600450_17321400_5136511_n.jpg

25 cool points to the first person that correctly comments which film this guy below is dressed from:

180450_10150405467110451_521600450_17321378_7964771_n.jpg

Screw Pee-Wee. This is the coolest bike ever! From Krewe of Chewbacchus

166664_10150405598485451_521600450_17323859_6475175_n.jpg

And the best thing about a comic con in NOLA--parades!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oetan8rEnHI?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oetan8rEnHI?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oetan8rEnHI?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Upvote 1

haha, nice! and yeah, celebrity signing got ridiculous around when fucking ray park or whoever the fuck darth maul is, was allegedly charging up to $50 a sig. fuck outta here! i wanted space ghost's at the last big con down here, but not for $20+. jesus. anyway, classy free pics, man! i gotta update the hondos & celebrity pics section.

zombie-clint and starman are awesome. and van scrier is awesome. nice work, man! im gonna have to bump our legendary megacon thread sometime.

You lost me w/ the Josh Middleton reference, Panch. :uhm:

And Wizard is coming to Miami at the end of Feb. A lot of the same celebs from NOLA will be there as this is a "tour" of cons Wizard is putting on. If you can go both days I suggest getting the two day pass as it's a much better deal. Do yourself a favor and definitely catch the West/Ward Batman & Robin panel. Both guys were very entertaining and open to fans. And do yourself an even bigger favor and skip the Billy Dee Williams panel. That thing was a snoozefest.

166398_10150405465870451_521600450_17321349_5796451_n.jpg

The guy at the podium on the left was the moderator and a complete douchebag. He basically started the panel by mocking anyone that'd ask a Star Wars related question. He told us to "put on our thinking caps and come up with 'GOOD' questions." Now, I'm sure Billy Dee was the one who told him to say this so he wouldn't come off like a dick, but WTF? His role in the Star Wars films is the only reason most of us were in that room. Way to alienate an audience, jagoff! And Billy Dee has a smooth delivery, but is a horrible story teller and wouldn't even answer a quesiton as simple as who was he pulling for in the Super Bowl.

I've never done a pure comic con, but I've done many anime ones over the years.

So many good times, it's always cool to meet fellow geeks, see people who help bring or make your fav. shows and of course kickass panels! I'm a big panel fan.

OH and the many drug fueled orgies...(not a joke, bish and drifter can confirm)

I've never done a pure comic con, but I've done many anime ones over the years.

So many good times, it's always cool to meet fellow geeks, see people who help bring or make your fav. shows and of course kickass panels! I'm a big panel fan.

OH and the many drug fueled orgies...(not a joke, bish and drifter can confirm)

True.dat to all of the above.

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't there a Wizard Con coming to Miami in Feb or March?

And Wizard is coming to Miami at the end of Feb. A lot of the same celebs from NOLA will be there as this is a "tour" of cons Wizard is putting on.

Is it the end of Feb already?

So yeah, just got home from this and had an AWESOME time! Here's how it went (and if you wanna see pics go to my Facebook, fuckers):

THOSE OF YOU THAT DON'T LIKE TO READ, FUCK YOU!

So standin' in line at 10 in the mornin' for an hour blew, but the fun began as soon as I entered (I was with my two little brothers, Steven and David, but they took off to the card gaming tournament as soon as we walked in, leaving me all-by-my-lonely). After taking a few pics of the ol' school Batmobile, I headed straight to 'Artist's Alley' (I'm one of the ones that voted for meeting comic creators in the poll). First, I encountered Arthur Suydam's MASSIVE booth! His booth was so big, dude (of Marvel Zombies fame) hadn't finished setting up the thing when I entered and HOUR AFTER THE CON HAD STARTED. So I walked up to him and offered help and he said YES! Dude, gave me a pair of scissors and while he was taping some shit down I'd come in and cut the tape for him. This lasted about 20 mins and I couldn't, for the life of me, understand why this guy, that's bread and butter are the hands he draws with, would give a stranger scissors to cut right next to his fingers. I must look trustworthy. Pfff! Anyways, we conversed for the entirety of the help about comics, music and the how the internet is ruining both mediums until some Fanboy came and cockblocked the convo with 'remember me from that other con last year'. Of fucking course not, but Arthur was cool as shit and started talkin' to the kid leaving me the third wheel. Whatever, I interrupted with a photo op and was on my way.

I was so blown by my experience with Mr. Suydam that I called Jon (C_U_SPACECOWBOY) to tell him all about it (he's who I call when I wanna talk about meeting comic people and wanna praise/bash 'em) and he was like, 'come tell me in person cause I'm here'. So we met up and all he's ever heard was horror stories about the guy. He then insists that that was his clone. Nah, I don't know about other people, but dude was cool. So Jon, me and Jon's buddy Javi start checkin' the dealer tables out.

Comics, comics and more comics. I started to get depressed thinking of my collection and how I had to sell the shit just to stay outta jail. Fuck! I kept botherin' the guys with making a food run and they finally got 'hungry' with all my bitching. One of my little brothers came with us, but fucked off as soon as we were done cause we were headed to the Billy Dee Williams panel. And you know, what the fuck does a 16 year old kid wanna see Billy Dee for? I kept remembering Chris' post on here and how he mentioned skipping Billy Dee, but these guys wanted to go so we went. Boy was Chris wrong! What a blast that was! Yeah, it started off like shit (I was even thinking of texting Jon, THAT WAS SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO ME, 'snore'), but it really picked up when some folks started asking questions about the 'cool side of the pillow' and how many chicks he bangs cause he's Lando. Fuckin' hilarious! Dude didn't get flapped once (although, he had no clue about anything pop culture outside of Star Wars). The best question of the panel came from a kid asking if he knew how close he was to being Two-Face in the Tim Burton Batman sequel.

After that we immediately ran to a panel for 'Cutting Edge' comic creators David Mack, David Spurlock and Bill Sienkiewicz! Fucking awesome and really, the highlight of the con, for me! This was the part of the con experience that I kept thinking, 'if Nick were here, he'd be nutting his pants'. First off, Mack started the panel by HANDING OUT FREE Kabuki comics to EVERYONE! Then just sitting there and listening to those guys talk to eachother was awesome! It was like we were all flies on the wall while these geniuses talked comics and other shit. Afterwards, I thought that if comics had Rockstars, that was them. Amazing! Simply amazing!

That panel ran a few mins long and was almost drowned out by the Ghostbuster's theme music coming from the next room. After we were cut lose, we ran to the Black Ghostbuster panel (yes, I know his name is Ernie Hudson Winston Zeddemore, but I like calling him Black Ghostbuster). It wasn't really a panel, but a mock 'gameshow'. Are You Smarter Than A Ghostbuster! Folks signed up to participate (which we were all to pussy to do) and if he called your number you got to sit up there with him a play this game. Cool enough, I guess. The only thing that surprised me more than the fact that Black Ghostbuster knew NOTHING of the Ghostbusters was that I nearly got EVERY QUESTION RIGHT that they asked. Jon and friends (my little brother David showed up) were flabergasted. Shit, I was confused as fuck at how much I knew! And we're not talkin' easy shit. Most of those questions were obscure as fuck, probably written by douchebag Ghostbuster Fanboys to show how smart they were. I'm thinking of joining a Ghostbuster fanclub.

After that shit, we hit up David Mack's and Bill Sienkiewicz' booths to Fanboy it up and praise their panel. Let me just say this AGAIN: those guys are class acts. Period. Mack signed my book he handed me earlier (I didn't even ask) and give me two more freebies, signed for the road. Jon was so taken aback by his awesomeness that he bought an artbook from the guy THAT WAS BASICALLY THE SAME SHIT THAT HE GAVE US... FOR FREE!!! I would of too, except I'm broke as fuck. Bill was just as courteous and we talked more about the shit they talked about at the panel. I also mentioned that, while I hate Kid Cudi, I still had to buy that album for his cover (remind me to buy that album for Bill's cover :P). After we sucked their cocks for a little more, Jon and Javi took off to hit up the Adam West/Burt Ward panel. I couldn't go, cause I had to leave to go to work. I walked around the con for 20 more mins, bought some signed photos of Jensen Ackles of Supernatural fame for Jaika (we she thinks he dreamy) and I broke out.

Oh before I left, though, I stopped by Billy Dee's booth and shook his hand and sparked up a quick convo with Edward James Olmos' son (forgot his name) from Battlestar (guess daddy got him a spot on the show). Pretty cool guy.

That was my time at the con. Fuckin' good time. Will TOTALLY go again next year!

Edited by APANCHALYPSE RETURNS

Awesome! I'm so glad you got to go to the con, Panchy!

* Jamie Bamber is the guy that plays Adama's son on BSG

* Glad you enjoyed Billy Dee, but he was an absolute bore when I saw him in NOLA. Sounds like some of the same questions were asked though. Did he have a tall, skinny guy moderating for him? That guy was a total douche at the NOLA con.

* Too bad you had to miss the West/Ward pannel as they absolutely blew Billy Dee out of the water.

* I'm so jealous about your David Mack encounter! I'm still kicking myself that I missed him in NOLA.

* And Sudyam didn't hook you up w/ a free print or anything? That dude is straight up pinching pennies. He was cool though when I met him as well.

Awesome! I'm so glad you got to go to the con, Panchy!

Thanks, man. I really needed that boost that con gave me. I know it sounds small, but small victories go a long way nowa days. Props to my mom for recognizing that and making it happen. Truth be told, she knows her son. I'm indebted to her.

* Jamie Bamber is the guy that plays Adama's son on BSG

No, I know who Apollo is. This is ACTUAL SON. Like with the last name Olmos and everything (and a small hint of the face thing going). I guess he showed up in the later seasons cause I didn't recognise him. Fuckin' what's his name, mechanic that was bangin' the Asian Cylon, was there, too, but folks were swarmin' his table. Unknown dude was sittin' lookin' lonely as fuck. Me being the nice guy I am, went and started talking to him. I mean, I'm a fan of his dad (or whatever). I liked Selena.

* Glad you enjoyed Billy Dee, but he was an absolute bore when I saw him in NOLA. Sounds like some of the same questions were asked though. Did he have a tall, skinny guy moderating for him? That guy was a total douche at the NOLA con.

Billy Dee was cool. Skinny dude was there, too and he was a douche, but I guess people that are the handlers of old washed up celebs have to be. I actually found him kinda funny. You know, in a douchy kinda way.

* Too bad you had to miss the West/Ward pannel as they absolutely blew Billy Dee out of the water.

Yeah, I was sad about that. I was batting a thousand with panels that day, but there was nothing I could do. Had to make the mula to pay for my trip back to NOLA at the end of March (hopefully, it'll be my last time... you know for that bullshit and all).

* I'm so jealous about your David Mack encounter! I'm still kicking myself that I missed him in NOLA.

It was my single greatest con experience. No doubt. And that's saying much. Getting drunk at Megacon with 2Track? Pretty fucking epic.

* And Sudyam didn't hook you up w/ a free print or anything? That dude is straight up pinching pennies. He was cool though when I met him as well.

Nah, and I really didn't expect him to, either. Shit, the guy went on a ten minute rant about the state of the comic and music business as effected by internet pirating! 'Pretty soon the internet is gonna take my job. Here take a free print!' I just took my photo op and got the Hell outta there.

[/b][/size][/color][/size][/color][/size]25 cool points to the first person that correctly comments which film this guy below is dressed from:

180450_10150405467110451_521600450_17321378_7964771_n.jpg

I wasn't going to comment because I figured someone would've answered by now...but I guess not. This is the guy who holds up Corbin Dallas in the hall of his apartment in The Fifth Element. It's not like I've seen the movie over a dozen times or anything...

I don't know about coms in this area, but a friend of mine is going to some videogame convention the weekend on March 11th...

• Upvote 1

^^FINALLY! I'm glad someone didn't ignore the challenge. +1 to you for your overall awesomeness, Aarty!!!

Panch, I had no idea Olmos' real son was on BSG. I did some searching online and it turns out his son is Bodie Olmos, who played none other than Hot Dog on BSG!

I knew that, too...Ben & I got into BSG a couple of years ago and I read on each and every character...