Hondo's Bar

PS2 passes 150 million and countings

gunsmithx

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but it used to be the case that in a lot of markets, the previous gen is the best seller. When I lived in Buenos Aires, Argentina from 1996 to 1998, I had a PS1 and an N64, and I bought new games when I flew back up to the States. When I went to toy stores and electronics store, they usually had one N64 on display with like 3 games, but the SNES was king (and NES was long gone before I arrived). With the high cost of importation and the lower average wage, the current gen were really a luxury item, I would say possibly more so than the NeoGeo or 3DO were when they first came out.

Do you know from which markets most of the current PS2 sales are coming?

I'd have to dig up the numbers, part of that is other areas like in south america often get cosoles years after and the older cosoles are also cheaper.

The other reason it still sells somewhat is it's $99, and nothing else is in that price range. I'm curious if it drops any lower then that or they just kill it in a few years.

I also think they were forcasting about 6 million sold this year.

brazil just got it like a year or so ago.

fuck sales-age, this system is up there with the SNES for console G.O.A.T. (fuck bishop!). it was the lowest powered of the 3, and had everything you'd wanna play (except uh, nintendo 1st party and WRPGs) - i remember thinking, despite the "toy story graphics" hype, id be happy if it was just less pixelated/awkward 3D than the PSX had to give us...and just past the first year or so, boom, Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil May Cry and FFX. blew my mind, and then you look at FF XII to see what they were doing by the end of the generation and of course it shits on X.

something for err'body! even before JRPGs migrated to handhelds. fuck, im gonna go play a PS2 game right now.

I'm not a big gamer in the least, but I bought a PS2 (used pre-owned!) when I was in Japan. I mainly bought it to use as a DVD player so I could watch Japanese region DVDs. As for games, I had maybe 2 or 3. The one I liked the most was some Street Fighter type game--and for the life of me I cannot remember the name. I do remember one character was this old guy w/ a long beard. Anyway, I've probably blocked it out b/c my Japanese gf at the time would routinely hand me my arse pretty much every single time we played. :pinch:

Archived