Hondo's Bar

Mad vs Cracked

Mad vs Cracked  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

mad492cover.jpg

db_crack2561.jpg

I'm gonna be honest, I read very little Mad. Cracked was my book and just having a Mad magazine in my hands felt dirty. Also, John Severin was like the first artist that I truly loved. For sure, he was the first artist I could identify just by looking at the art. I know that, at least, Logan is gonna be all over this thread.

I only ever read Cracked.com. Didn't know they were a magazine til recently. Also just bought their book "You Might Be a Zombie, and Other Bad News". Can't say I have ever read an issue of MAD... And then their was that show.....

to help keep it in comics:

comiccon_infographic1.jpg

Cracked online is hilarious, but back when it was a mag, it was hit-or-miss for me. so was Mad, but they get a lot more credit for being around long enough to make elvis jokes.

Spy-vs-spy.png

plus, Sergio Aragones.

ps holy shit, wiki says MAD is only like 6 years older than Cracked? huh. mind blown.

Mad, all the way. I had stacks of Mads when I was a kid. I absorbed an astounding amount of useless 50's-70s pop culture. Not to mention the brilliance that was the Mad EC comic, but I think we're talking just mags here, yeah?

NZA already mentioned Sergio, but I need to throw in Al Jaffe and his awesome fold-in back covers, Don Martin and his wonderfully floppy feet. That dude who does the awesome caricatures for movie parodies.

I read some Cracked. I didn't hate it, but Mad was awesome. If they were both in the 50 cent box, I was getting a new Mad twice a week. I only got Cracked if I already had the Mads.

Y'know, I never really associated the Cracked site with the mag. I'm pretty sure the thought crossed my mind at some point. Huh. They definitely win in the "Adapting to the changing times" department.

I also haven't read an issue of either one published in like the last 20 years. Do with that what you will.

I'm not mad (heh), cause I half expected all this Mad love, but Cracked holds my heart. Like Logan I had stacks of those shits. All tore up and falling apart. At some point during the late 80s, early 90s I was more into them then actual comics. Crazy.

ww7cd5l0uaxeu0xd.jpg

I will admit that I was a fan of the Mad show. When SNL was so bad for those many years, Mad was my fix.

Having never seen a Cracked magazine I can only vote Mad. Much like Logans I can attribute most of my pop culture referencing from reading age right through to my mid-teens to Mad. Drawn Out Dramas, Spy Vs Spy, and the foldbacks are some of the greatest things ever.

• 1 month later...

This needs to go somewhere. This is as good a place as any, I suppose.

That's a word-for-word adaptation of a Harvey Kurtzman/ Wally Wood parody that was in MAD #8, 1953.

It's from Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which Ive never seen before. Pretty damn kewl if you ask me, despite the animation not doing justice to the original. I found the last 3 panels in a google image search, I was gonna post for comparison, but I don't wanna spoil the M. Night. Shyamalyalamyalanaman twist for those that aren't familiar! :D

Archived