Hondo's Bar

Transformers 3: Dark of The Moon

I doubt they actually needed to go balls deep with complementary assplay when sucking it just to get into the Chinese market, reading up on it, it seems that even Chinese audiences found that pandering jarring... this was deliberate for some other reason, a political favor to someone... probably for monetary gain later... so yeah... but still... ah, fuck it.

Edited by Drifter

Did they use any Chinese military equipment in the movie? Most governments will let you use their fancy vehicle and weapons free of charge so long as you paint them as nothing less than heroes. It's something Michael Bay has been doing with the US government for his entire career.

For a first from Bay, there didn't appear to be any military involvement from either government, American or Chinese. The bad guys were the CIA this time around and while the Chinese officials talked a great deal about 'military response' and 'protecting the people' their forces were nowhere to be seen in the film.

*grammar correction

Edited by Drifter

i read an article a while back about not only how big the chinese market is, but - i wanna say this was around when we found out about the ancient one in Dr Strange - the gov't there only allows so many american films per year, and kissing their ass was an excellent way to ensure that. so, even if your shitty movie bombs here, it'll more than make up for it with a little ball-jiggling

They had already gotten around that by co-producing the movie with the Chinese studios; and with no military involvement from any side of the pacific... again, that one specific scene with the Chinese Defense Minister I found to be out of place and jarring as fuck, I've read that even Chinese audiences found it so... I'm guessing it might have been a cameo at the guy's request because he's large and in charge while also a fan of the series, now in a position of power; or it was put in at their government's insistence to purposefully piss people off, a sort of 'fuck you Americans, this is out bitch now' kind of thing.

The whole thing is kind of interesting, so innocuous, such a little petty thing, but ominous the more you think about it and dig.

Edited by Drifter

• 3 months later...

So I saw the 5th one in the 2-dollar theater not that long ago and other than the sheer stupidity, lazy writing, plot holes, and utter disregard for the continuity of the previous films no matter how much they tried to shoe-horn in some kind of cohesive narrative, I still found myself dwelling on one part in particular.

Fuck spoiler warnings, who cares.

The final battle takes place on some little patch of Cybertron hanging above Earth/Unicron at an altitude of 30,000ft. We know this because they go into great length about the operational limits of the V-22 Osprey, how it has a ceiling of 21,000ft and so they're going to have to basically crash-land all their forces onto that patch of dirt (and it IS dirt, semi-lush foliage over the metal superstructure of Cybertron). They make this huge deal about it, have it as some thrilling visual sequence lasting several long minutes... and they then proceed to have a bunch of humans engage in ground combat, unprotected, at 30,000ft. I'm sorry but there's a reason you need oxygen at the top of Mount Everest's 29,000ft. It's because humans immediately die without oxygen at 26,000ft. it's called the death-zone... so, yeah, all that effort to show off their military chubby and to then utterly drop the ball at the exact same time... just bothers me.

So who's looking forward to the Bumblebee spin-off?