Hondo's Bar

NBA Playoffs

gunsmithx

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miami Heat scores final 16 points to topple Boston Celtics, advances to conference finals

The Heat scored the final 16 points of the game to oust the Boston Celtics and advance to the Eastern Conference finals.

BY JOSEPH GOODMAN

JGOODMAN@MIAMIHERALD.COM

For several tense seconds after one of the biggest games in his career, Dwyane Wade was down on the ground in the first row of AmericanAirlines Arena surrounded by cameras and fans and victory.

Around him, a home crowd raged. Boston was done, defeated 4-1 in a best-of-7 series. The Heat was moving on to the Eastern Conference finals. But Wade was down and teammate LeBron James rushed over with a concerned look. He pushed past journalists. He powered through the frenzy.

Turns out, Wade was just enjoying the moment, eyes closed, letting it all soak in so thoroughly that he didn’t want to move for fear of disturbing the moment. Finally, Wade arose and James found his friend. Miami’s two superstars combined for 67 points in the Heat’s 97-87 second-round, series-clinching victory against the Boston Celtics on Wednesday.

Wade and James hugged each other. James pulled Wade’s head close and screamed, “I told you! I told you!” At halftime, with the Heat trailing by two points, James turned to Wade and reassured him. “I’ve got your back,” he said.

Did he ever. Wade carried the Heat for three quarters Wednesday, but James took over in the final minutes. He scored the game’s final 10 points during a masterful 16-0 run to close out the defending Eastern Conference champions.

Last summer, they came together to beat Boston and now, with Boston defeated, they came together with a symbolic embrace. All around them, an arena danced with joy at what was envisioned so long ago and was finally realized in the Heat’s home arena against its nemesis.

“To have this success so far in the postseason with one of your friends, it means a lot,” James said after the game.

James’ introspection went a step further when he apologized to fans who were upset with the way he left Cleveland for Miami.

“I apologize for the way it happened,” James said. “But I knew that this opportunity was once in a lifetime and to be able to come down here and pair up with two guys and pair up with this organization — in order for me to move on in my career, that team that we just defeated — had to go through them at some point.”

CATCHING UP

The Heat trailed for much of the game — and was down by six with less than five minutes to play — but James finished with a scoring burst that will go down prominently somewhere among his career’s long list of accomplishments. He nailed his fourth three-pointer of the game to give the Heat a 90-87 lead with 2:11 to play. His next three-pointer, equally difficult and awe inducing, started the celebration early.

With 40.4 seconds left in the Heat’s second-round playoff series, the white seat covers came off and AmericanAirlines Arena’s impromptu, oversized confetti celebration began. The old guard of the Eastern Conference gave it their best shot, but, in the end, the Heat dispatched the Celtics in the same number of games it took to eliminate the Philadelphia 76ers in the first round, 4-1. Miami is 6-0 at home this postseason and now awaits the winner of Chicago-Atlanta.

Wade scored a game-high 34 points, carrying the Heat for long stretches on Wednesday against the team that knocked him out of the playoffs last season and spurred the arrival of James to Miami. At the end, it was James who took over.

“This guy to my right went off,” Wade said of James.

Said Heat coach Erik Spoelstra: “Down the stretch, that’s what greatness is all about. Sometimes it transcends X’s and O’s.”

TOO MUCH LEBRON

As they did to Wade, the Celtics eliminated James’ Cavaliers last season. This time, James was too much with his new team. He scored the final 10 points of the game, including a pair of difficult back-to-back three-pointers with less than two minutes to play.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers had a different perspective: “If their bad shots go in and your shots don’t you lose the game, and that’s how if felt down the stretch.”

James’ fast-break dunk after Boston’s 16th turnover of the game put the Heat ahead 95-87 with 30.4 seconds left. Wade wasn’t done competing. He took a charge against Delonte West on the Celtics’ next possession and sprinted down the court swinging his fists and playing to the rabid crowd. Wade had 30 points before the fourth quarter and kept the Heat within striking distance of the resilient Celtics throughout.

James finished with 33 points on 11 of 20 shooting to go along with seven rebounds and four assists. Chris Bosh was limited to 14 points on 4 of 9 shooting but had 11 rebounds and played his best basketball when it mattered most, at end when his dunk tied the game at 87-all and three important rebounds helped extended the Heat’s late-game dominance.

Boston’s Big 3 combined for 45 points. Ray Allen had 18 and was 5 of 10 from three-point range. Kevin Garnett finished with 15 points on 6-of-13 shooting. Paul Pierce had 12 points. West had 10 points off the bench and played the entire fourth quarter for injured guard Rajon Rondo, who had six points and three assists in 31 minutes.

“I didn’t feel [Rondo] could move, so we were limited,” Rivers said.

Rondo dislocated his left elbow in Game 3 during a collision with Wade and his injury was a factor in the series’ outcome. The Celtics managed just 15 assists on Wednesday (the Heat only had 13). Miami out-rebounded Boston 38-30.

The Heat began the fourth quarter searching for offense. In order, four of the Heat’s first six possessions of the final period: missed three-pointer by James Jones, missed three-pointer by James, missed layup by James and a shot clock violation with the ball in James’ hands.

Meanwhile, the Celtics built a seven-point lead behind the hot hand of West, who scored six of Boston’s first eight points of the quarter. His layup in traffic made it 81-74 and Wade answered the play with an ill-advised three-point attempt that missed the rim and caromed off the backboard.

Boston led by six with 4:29 left in the game but the Heat cut it to 87-85 with a free-throw from Wade and a three-pointer in transition by Jones. It was his first basket of the game and triggered the Heat’s series-winning surge.

“You could feel momentum shift there,” Wade said.

It was a very well played game and I believe that the Celtics didn't go without a fight. I was actually extremely impressed with the praise that Lebron gave the Celts, and even though I still think he is a drama queen, I have some respect for him.

Miami Heat, good luck moving forward.

Lots of respect to the celts, they kept fighting up till the end(unlike say.... the lakers) and didn't give up an inch. Also mad props to Rivers, Allen and of all people West for staying on the court to give handshakes and hugs(and in Allen's case some words for chalmers), very very classy(unlike some other teammates).

Good to hear as well that rivers might be coming back next year, This was a great series and I"m looking forward to another one next year(with us winning of course but I'm baised)

On the rest of the playoffs okc destroyed the grizz last night, lets see if they can close out or the series will keep up with the back and forth.

As for bulls/hawks... man the bulls had better close out the hawks today, as much as they have impressed me the bulls have to be worried about dealing with miami when the hawks are giving them trouble. Once we have the 2nd round done I'll put up my predictions for the next round.

Lots of respect to the celts, they kept fighting up till the end(unlike say.... the lakers) and didn't give up an inch.

I was telling Ben the same exact thing this morning -- jeez, almost verbatim. Are you my twin?

i still think that garnett and pierce were holding Fight Club in the locker room after that game. they couldn't be interviewed because they beat the shit out of each other. now let's just see who our guys play next.

Bulls vs Heat - Frankly as good as they played defense I'm not sure any team will play us as hard as the celts. I see this going to 6 games, split at chicago, 2 for the heat at home, 1 in chi-town and then the win for the series before home fans!

Congrats to the Heat. Hard fought series for sure. I heard people were celebrating like when the Marlins won the World Series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Dn91coNF0

Big props and respect to Lebron for saying this. Over the season, Miami's grown from a group of awesomely skilled individuals into a team. That's why Miami ultimately won. Boston lost that with the Perkins trade, I believe. It crushed their spirit. That being said, I think we might have a shot at building an even better team for next year. I was right when I predicted Shaq coming to Boston. I hope I'm right too about Dwight Howard.

I'm putting down my Lebron Lemony Yellow haterade. (Though some of his antics still "irk" me a bit). Best of luck to the Miami Heat in the post season.

looks like someone who "hates" basketball is becoming a Celtics fan...

Honest question? how in the hell would howard even get to boston? Wouldn't that basicly require him to leave orlando at the end of next year and go to boston?

Thats also assuming the cba doesn't make it easier for orlando to keep him.

The best trade I've heard of so far would LA trading Bynum and Gasol for Howard and Arenas.... meh who knows most people didn't think Lebron would come to miami so might still be a surpise(... howard for MLE anyone ;)

Honest question? how in the hell would howard even get to boston? Wouldn't that basicly require him to leave orlando at the end of next year and go to boston?

Thats also assuming the cba doesn't make it easier for orlando to keep him.

The best trade I've heard of so far would LA trading Bynum and Gasol for Howard and Arenas.... meh who knows most people didn't think Lebron would come to miami so might still be a surpise(... howard for MLE anyone ;)

If Howard went to LA I think/know I would be sick. It's been overdone, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbdlny8h6pg&feature=player_embedded

Reasons for Howard to Boston? We can offer him more money than LA. Shaq's gone. Get rid of J.O. And we (stupidly) already did away with Perk and Nate. Plenty of space in the Salary cap. Maybe offer Green? Any which way we can. Boston needs a good center. Howard's the best in the league.

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to do more consistent posting...

Anyway, Dallas up 2-1 and I would say baring a hell of a comeback by the thunder dallas wins this series still, but it'll take 6 games, maybe 7.

Heat bulls, heat up 2-1.

Great game last night, and it makes game 4 a pivotal game, heat win the series is basically over and if the bulls win it gives them hca back and makes it hard on miami.

I will say this wont' be easy for Miami but they are perfect at home in the playoffs so far and if they keep that up they win it all at this point. The bulls simply have no way to outscore miami, they don't' have the firepower to keep up with us. I do think the heat pull out game 4 but the bulls will make us fight for every inch and then I think we take game 5 a bit easier since I'm not sure such a young team will deal with that kind of hole very well but we shall see.

how could you offer more money? if he leaves it's via trade more then likly so money would be same everywhere unless I'm missing something

His contract's up soon. We have more players we can sacrifice to get him. We still need a good bench, but with our big 4 + him we'd be unstoppable.

You know if howard stays in Orlando(don't discount the new CBA) then I'm gonna have a good long laugh. I just think cp3 leaving is more likely then Howard leaving. Also I still say LA does make a great deal of sense but all of it is talk till the CBA is worked out(for the record on that, no hard cap, harder luxury tax, some kind of franchise tag and lower guaranteed contracts.)

Howard ain't goin' anywhere. LA seems plausible, cause they have the most attractive pieces to give up, but going to LA would be the same as going to Boston. Those teams are done. Phil Jackson's out. Kobe's old. In a couple years the Lakers will be the Orlando of the West. As far as Boston is concerned, they have nothing to give up... unless you plan on breaking up the Big 4. They're out the door as well. Couple years and Garnet, Allen and Pierce are outta there or suffer the fate of Shaq. Rondo is gonna be around, but that ain't enough. No, it would make more sense for Howard to stay in Orlando. I mean, there's other attractive teams out there: the Clippers, Hornets. Shit, CP3 wouldn't have to go anywhere! If the New Orleans' brass wants to keep him, they'd go out and get Howard. That would be the beginning of a pretty strong contender. They could pull a Miami and stock up on throw aways and be ready in a couple years. Same with the Clippers. The Knicks fucked up by giving those guys max deals. CP3 doesn't fit. Nobody knows what the new CBA will entail so that's my thoughts on the current set-up.

As far as the Heat/Bulls series... one man can't beat 3 monsters. MVP or not.

Howard ain't goin' anywhere. LA seems plausible, cause they have the most attractive pieces to give up, but going to LA would be the same as going to Boston. Those teams are done. Phil Jackson's out. Kobe's old. In a couple years the Lakers will be the Orlando of the West. As far as Boston is concerned, they have nothing to give up... unless you plan on breaking up the Big 4. They're out the door as well. Couple years and Garnet, Allen and Pierce are outta there or suffer the fate of Shaq. Rondo is gonna be around, but that ain't enough. No, it would make more sense for Howard to stay in Orlando. I mean, there's other attractive teams out there: the Clippers, Hornets. Shit, CP3 wouldn't have to go anywhere! If the New Orleans' brass wants to keep him, they'd go out and get Howard. That would be the beginning of a pretty strong contender. They could pull a Miami and stock up on throw aways and be ready in a couple years. Same with the Clippers. The Knicks fucked up by giving those guys max deals. CP3 doesn't fit. Nobody knows what the new CBA will entail so that's my thoughts on the current set-up.

As far as the Heat/Bulls series... one man can't beat 3 monsters. MVP or not.

Lakers done? Probably, yes. I'll agree. Boston done? Don't count us out yet. Howard staying in Orlando? I could see it. Breaking up the Big 4 you say? I could see that too. I love my team. I love the big 4. Keep Rondo at all costs. The other 3? I'd say Keep Allen. Rain of 3's is a game winner every time he gets in the zone. Captain Pierce? I'd say keep him too. He did pretty well going toe-to-toe with Lebron. KG? I love 'em, but he'd be the one piece I'd be willing to trade...

The Boston Celtics are not going back to the Finals... with this team. The Big 3 are retiring in Boston. They're not going anywhere else. They might still make it to the playoffs next year, but their days a numbered. I'd be surprised if they're still competitive in 3 years. With young teams like the Heat, Bulls, Pacers, Hawks, (even the Knicks are only gonna get better) they're not gonna be able to hang.

I heard that interview and wow... that guy is in major denial. You can almost hear the disbelief in the silence of Dan and Stugotz. It really goes to show how people don't want to give this team credit. But with this guy it seemed more about denial than hate. Five more wins and it won't matter what people think.

In the Finals, I'll be rooting for the Miami Heat. Why? Despite all the hate for Boston that's come from down there, (Not necessarily members of this board, just other FB friends) Miami's my number 2 city. It's my wife's hometown. And really thinking about it... the Heat had to copy Boston's recipe of teamwork to get this far. So the Heat are like a younger version of the Celtics, minus Rajon Rondo. I can't really hate on that. Lebron's antics still irk me a bit, but I know KG's antics irk non-Celts fans sometimes.

That being said.....

Let's go Heat!

Ben has a man-crush on Rajon Rondo...if he had a cooter, I'd be done for!

But all joking aside, I do feel a bit of pride that they are going to the finals. I've never been a fan, even when I lived in Miami and I stick to my guns on not being a band-wagoner -- that's why I'm not hootin' & hollerin' over them. It'd be a lie.

We will watch the series because I have no other choice it's going to be a great matchup...

May the best team win! I'm not taking sides...

Archived