Hondo's Bar

Marvel vs. DC

Iambaytor

yeah, superpowers count, but using your rainman thing (panch), hypothetically if a human existed who could memorieze and faithfully reeanact complicted shit like circus soleil moves just by viewing them, would that negate it being a superpower, or would you consider that person metahuman? some plato shit right here!

I gues if super agility makes you a mutant then that could count.

metahuman, not mutant. big difference, especially in marvel U anyway - i think the old distinction was people remembering how they acquired said powers, but in the time since im sure we've had genetic anomolies that weren't necessarily mutagenic in nature...alright now im kinda fucked up on the idea too. but yeah, superhuman speed =/= being a mutant, necessarily (and vice-versa).

Can we stop using the "meta" word when we talk about Marvel characters, please. That's a DC term. I'm getting all confused here. Until dude's origin gets retconned to mutant let's just call him superhuman. He has a special power and wears a costume. *starts feeling better, sigh*

nah, cause it helps with arbitrary tiers!

i.e., spidey can climb walls, that's a superhuman ability. someone who can simply lift several tons, or, like captain amerca, move upwards of 50 mph, that's metahuman - it's something we can do, but way way better than a peak human can imagine. green lantern has a superpower with his ring, but no metahuman stats. perks/specs like this are essential to fanboy debates!!

The fact that you can run 50 miles an hour or benchpress a truck makes you a superhuman in my book. Ring or no ring.

I understand now that you're using the word to classify different powers, but its confusing cause the DC universe characters use it to describe anyone with powers. Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman. I think even Batman might be in that category. I forget.

• 1 month later...

Thanos is a badass, and could take just about anybody. But Darkseid... to put this in perspective, one of the last DC vs. Marvel Crossovers involved Galactus attempting to eat Apokolips, Darkseid fucked up the Silver Surfer and stood face to face with Galactus only for Galactus to find out that Apokolips is a dead planet and thus holds no nutritional value for the devourer or worlds so he asks Darkseid why he put up such a fight when he knew his planet was inedible and Darkseid just says something to the effect of "Because no enemy will best me." Darkseid fought fucking Galactus just to make a fucking point! Show me any time Thanos has done that.

Though in all fairness: while the image of Thanos being put into a police car in handcuffs came from a Hostess Fruit Pies ad, the image of Darkseid being mugged by a couple crackheads and pleading for his life is totally canon.