Hondo's Bar

The Book of Mormon

Keth

Those were pretty great. What kind of weirdo is going to go see Spider-Man when this is playing across the street? This is probably the first Broadway musical I've been the least bit interested in since Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

No interest in Avenue Q?

One day the ticket prices for this will be lower than the actual plane ticket to NYC, but I'm hoping they take this show on the road. I have heard so many good things, but I don't want to hear any of the songs until I can see the actual play.

HOLY SHIT, you ain't kiddin! It never even occurred to me that tickets were that much. Roughly $400-$1,000!

Is that a standard Broadway price model? How the fuck is that sustainable? I was thinkin' like...I dunno, $40? I'll wait for the DVD...

HOLY SHIT, you ain't kiddin! It never even occurred to me that tickets were that much. Roughly $400-$1,000!

Is that a standard Broadway price model? How the fuck is that sustainable? I was thinkin' like...I dunno, $40? I'll wait for the DVD...

It's not the standard price that all Broadway tickets sell for, but this play has gotten ridiculously good reviews and word or mouth. It got nominated for something like 14 Tonys, which is one short of the record. The number of shows they can do a week is limited, therefore the number of seats they can sell a week is limited, and when the demand for a limited resource skyrockets, prices go up as long as people still want to pay. Broadway hasn't seen a tickets go for anywhere near this much since The Producers with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick.

Right now, a US Tour is planned to start in Denver in December 2012. I plan on getting tickets early if it comes anywhere near Miami (I'd buy tickets for Orlando if it didn't come to SoFL), not waiting if prices to rise after they've sold out.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I found it through other avenues as well, and I must say I am quite glad I only listened to two songs before seeing it. Hearing the songs before-hand kinda ruins the show. It doesn't make it bad, but you already know what to expect etc. Not being a fan of musicals what-so-ever the show itself was interesting. I don't really have anything to compare it to, so without spoiling things I can't really describe it. It was funnier than expected, but being from Matt and Trey it still has plenty of "gutter humor" but then again some quite thoughtful humor that is very well placed. A lot of subtle humor as well.

If you are a fan of musicals, or even if you aren't this is worth seeing. I don't know if it is worth the cost of a plane ticket and hotel in New York, plus the 400-1000 per ticket, but I would definately see it if it comes anywhere near DFW. Though with those prices on Broadway, I don't see the prices dropping signifigantly for a one show per town tour. Even more demand, with even less supply. I would expect dropping $250 at least for decent seats. Doubt anything will be under $40-50.

It was already on my "to-buy" list, but now even more so. Hopefully they will get around to releasing a blu-ray version sometime before 2015.

• 11 months later...

Mormons seem, by and large, to be pretty nice people. Or they wear nice sweaters, at least. There's a difference, but it's not important when their public face is all you ever personally have to meet. I respect the way they're going about dealing with something that must seem very hurtful and cruel to them.

They aren't protesting, or demanding the show be boycotted, or any of the things many religious folks in this country feel is acceptable behavior. They're just taking out an ad and pointing out that they're pretty happy with their lifestyle choice. I wish everyone who ever got offended dealt with it like that.

The Mormon Church must make a very deliberate effort to promote a culture of niceness in their membership, because every Mormon I have ever met personally have been downright delightful, and I've heard the same thing from many others. The South Park episode with the Mormon family moving into town hit the nail on the head in that regard.

every Mormon I have ever met personally have been downright delightful.

Yep, same here. I've met Mormons in Poland, and here in Ireland a few times and every encounter was extremely pleasant. If I wasn't an atheist, I'd be mighty interested in the book that can churn out niceness like that.

Edited by alive she cried

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how to feel about Mormons. Personally I have met quite a few (and I used to live down the street from an LDS church in San Antonio) and they have always been friendly, very much like the South Park ep mentioned above. And I see vids like this:

and they seem even "progressive" at times, but then you see vids like this:

http://youtu.be/1VyQSNwRaTE

and I don't know which one, if any, is the general stance of Mormons. Or maybe it is just the fundamentalists that do all the crazy stuff that gets news coverage. Still they have recently made an exception for gay and lesbians in the religion itself, so that's something at least.

• 2 months later...