Hondo's Bar

Playstation Vita

The NZA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brought in all my backstock and was able to pay off my Vita all at once. Went ahead and reserved the Dynasty Warriors game that comes out tommorow with it, because I am a sucker for that kind of stuff. I can't believe they are trying to push uncharted for $50. That is ridiculous. I'd buy it all day long at 30 or 40, but you have to boycott $50 just on principle. The Katamari games looks fun, if unoriginal, same with Wipeout and Ninja Gaiden. I am mainly thinking about all the goodies I have on my psn account I can put on it. Got me a 16gb mem card...damn they are small...

it's got two analogs, so it wont play like ass like the PSP one either!

honestly, there's that, Uncharted and i think one other one from launch i thought interesting, but not for $250. ill wait on the price drop, plus it really needs to break my 5 game rule and there's time for that.

Just got my Vita up and running, and already Sony's stupidity is shown.

During setup it asks if you have a PSN account. You say YES and the next page tells you the Vita needs a software update first THEN link your PSN to it and kicks you back to the "Do you have a PSN account?" If you say no, it tells you it will set up a trial account for you....lol....

During setup it asks if you have a PSN account. You say YES and the next page tells you the Vita needs a software update first THEN link your PSN to it and kicks you back to the "Do you have a PSN account?" If you say no, it tells you it will set up a trial account for you....lol....

Lots of complaints/confusion about that. You have to set up the trial account for it to update, then you can go back and use your PSN account.

Throw down some feedback man, I'm gonna hold off on a purchase for awhile.

All right, I have played with it, downloaded etc, watched movies, and here's the two hour review.

First off, most people will want to know how the games look and play. They look damn good, a lot better than the PSP ever did, and the gameplay is smooth, without any tearing or ghosting. What I have found is that I am still getting used to having a second analog stick. After so many years of so many portable devices only having one, I find myself forgeting it is there.

The Vita itself is a good size. Bigger than the PSP and that helps. The touchscreen is nice and responsive.

Basically it is what the PSP should have originally been. But I do think that maybe they have too many gizmos inside of it, just for tech specs sake. Touchscreen on the front AND the back. Tilt controls, Sixaxis controls, camera and speech.

An example is the Dynasty Warrior game I got. To trigger musou attacks, you have to use both hands to tap the screen, which is kind of odd, and then depending on the character you use certain swiping motions on the touchscreen or shake the vita to "attack." Then go back to face buttons for normal attacks. Every so often you will be "ambushed" and have to use the touchscreen to defeat the enemies of the ambush. It seems like a gimick tacked on solely to make use of a touchscreen. It isn't bad, it isn't difficult to do, it just seems a little unnecessary.

My biggest complaint about it was being told everything on the PSN will be able to be used on it, which just is a lie. No PSN only games work, no ps1 or ps2 games work, and only about half of my old psp games are able to be played on it. I don't know if it is something like the 360 and original xbox games, and they will patch it later and make more games available.

So right now the main thing I would say to wait on is the list of games to play for it. It is a SOLID piece of tech, everything works and works well. There just isn't a whole lot to do with it, especially if you are new to PSP/PSN/Sony. Think of it kinda like the 3DS when it first came out. It was neat, it worked fine, just there wasn't a whole lot to play, but at least all the old ds games worked with it. EVen if you own every psp game as a download, you will be able to play about half of them.

great review, man. but it brings questions!!

1) how's your feel for the sticks? i had a few minuets with Los' vita on the UC demo and mahvel 3, ive heard some complaints about their quality but didn't notice it (like you, i think i was kinda getting used to having a 2nd one, heh) and didn't spend nearly enough time that it'd bother me - like, 3DS gets knocked for ergonomics but i can play RE for hours and not notice; 20+ minutes of mario kart, though, and my hand is crampy).

2) what you're talking about with the control options...that doesn't surprise me one bit though. you remember early PS3 when they put sixaxis in fucking everything that didn't need it? i gotta assume that's the same thing here, push it on the devs early and hope they find a unique use for it, or it becomes something like the DS mic that only a certain kind of game ends up using at all.

^this was not much of a question

3) I read that PS1 games are supposed to be up & running in the near future, does suck that it's not ready yet - what PSP games on PSN do work that stand out? ive not seen a list yet, kinda wondering what's there to hold people over.

4) you fuck with Near much yet? Los tells it like there's mad units in our area, and he clearly has some insane range (5-10 miles?) compared to my streetpasses.

5) if you've got moneybags laying about, lemme know if you end up getting katamari - i havent seen any impressions and was curious to see if it was good (can't be worse than PSP one now that there's dual analogs!)

oh yeah, what games did you get?

1) how's your feel for the sticks? i had a few minuets with Los' vita on the UC demo and mahvel 3, ive heard some complaints about their quality but didn't notice it (like you, i think i was kinda getting used to having a 2nd one, heh) and didn't spend nearly enough time that it'd bother me - like, 3DS gets knocked for ergonomics but i can play RE for hours and not notice; 20+ minutes of mario kart, though, and my hand is crampy).

I have that EXACT same problem with Mario Kart, it kills my hands quick! So far though I haven't noticed anything like that with the Vita. Can't say I have played for hours on end, but it is very quickly evident with Mario Kart, and so far not evident at all with the vita. As for the sticks themselves they feel good to me. Maybe a little small, but I don't feel like I am going to snap them off or anything like that.

2) what you're talking about with the control options...that doesn't surprise me one bit though. you remember early PS3 when they put sixaxis in fucking everything that didn't need it? i gotta assume that's the same thing here, push it on the devs early and hope they find a unique use for it, or it becomes something like the DS mic that only a certain kind of game ends up using at all.

^this was not much of a question

Yeah I think this is more of the first wave of games utilizing everything it can just to show you what you can do with the Vita. I think that the second analog stick will be the most used new feature and everything else will fall to the wayside except every so often when a developer finds a unique and fun use for something. I just hate being forced to use it, and not having another "normal" option made available.

3) I read that PS1 games are supposed to be up & running in the near future, does suck that it's not ready yet - what PSP games on PSN do work that stand out? ive not seen a list yet, kinda wondering what's there to hold people over.

It was just very disheartening to go to my download list and see soooo many "Ps Vita can not download" next to just about every game. Then I get to my PSP downloaded games and stuff like Persona and God of War I can play, but not Phantasy Star Portable, or the psp Katamari game. There just really isn't a rhyme or reason I can see to why certain psp games can be played and other ones can not be played. I sure hope they get the ps1 games running soon, as that is like number 2 or 3 on why I want a psp/vita.

4) you fuck with Near much yet? Los tells it like there's mad units in our area, and he clearly has some insane range (5-10 miles?) compared to my streetpasses.

No I haven't, I will check it out and get back to you though.

5) if you've got moneybags laying about, lemme know if you end up getting katamari - i havent seen any impressions and was curious to see if it was good (can't be worse than PSP one now that there's dual analogs!)

I will end up getting it no doubt. I will let you know when I do.

oh yeah, what games did you get?

I got Dynasty Warriors Next and Hot Shots Golf - World Invitational. Havent played the golf game yet, but was pleasantly suprised with how well DW looked and played. There isn't really any single player slow-down, but there is still a lot of pop-up enemies.

On a side note, it just froze now while I was installing the Unit 13 demo and it will not turn off, reset or do anything now...

Also, playing the Unit 13 demo showcases how the touchscreen can be used to good effect in a shooter game. Anything you want to pick up, or disarm a bomb, or unlock a door, or even reload or switch weapons is all done on the touch screen. It actually becomes really intuitive and handy to just press a little icon on the screen to reload or do whatever, I like it a lot.

Now for the one-week review. I can't overstate how much better the graphics are. Some games I have played have used the touchscreen to good effect. Though I don't know if I will ever get used to the rear touchscreen. But right now the biggest kicker is the lack of games. Without being able to download ps1 games, and a majority of psp games, there just isn't much to do, and no games with long staying power. Most Vita games are meant for short play sessions, and not many hold up in the long run. The DS had day 1 rpg's and the 3DS at least had a few on the horizon. Zelda came shortly after release (i think), but you still could play every single DS game if not. Right now I wish I had just spent the money on a psp, at least then I could play Xenogears or FF1-7 on the go. And I would be able to play all the games I had already paid for and not have to buy new ones.

If you haven't bought a Vita, chances are you aren't planning on getting one in the next few days or weeks and that is a good thing. Right now hold off until the list of games gets bigger or they at least patch the ability to play ps1 or ps2 games and the rest of the PSP catalog.

PSVITA itself 9/10

PSVita worth as a gaming console at present 5/10

Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden are the only things I'm looking forward to right now. I think the extra problem is that right now, Japan IS getting a shitton of JRPGs. They've got the re-release of Square's Monster Hunter Clone and a Tales game right now, for fuck's sake. We don't.

I'm happy as hell with Blazblue and Wipeout 2048. They are GOOD games. I also got Super Stardust Delta, which is a fun chunk-o'-time. But I can't disagree - there's not a lineup on the horizon which rivals what the home consoles are getting. And frankly, if they want to call themselves console-to-go, they need that.

I do think 3DS has the same problem. I can name Luigi's Mansion and Kid Icarus as stuff to get for it, but the list is pretty short. Vita needs to differentiate itself with some goddamn lineup madness.

Yeah, and both Gravity Rush and Persona 4 are months away. The game I have been playing the most on my Vita so far has been the psp release of Persona 3. Both Dynasty Warriors Next and Hot Shots Golf- International are good games. They are fun, but they both feel like they were specifically designed for short, "on-the-go" play sessions. All of the games seem like that, except maybe the Uncharted game, but that is going to be 8 hours or so max. I also recently got Shinobido 2. It's another game that seems like it is just trying to shoehorn in as many different ways to use all of the Vita's new functionality as possible. But it is cumbersome, and instead of explaining the games many different abilities and how to use and do different things in a way that may be intuitive, it is just page after page of super-small print telling you what to do, but not really explaining it.

The 3DS doesn't have a stellar line-up coming in the future for it either. But at least at launch you had a decent sized back catalog to play with On the plus side, it can only get better right?

See, I like my games better than all that. Wipeout 2048 FEELS like a full racing wipeout game. Blazblue controls just as well as its console cousins. And yeah, races are 5-10 minute things, but that's what racing has always been in video games so it doesn't feel shoehorned in. Both games have "Vita controls," and they're terrible, but I'm not gonna sweat how terrible an optional control scheme I ain't using is.

SSD did vita controls right. Minigames or occasional superabilities.

I like my games as well (except Shinobido, but I just need to get used to the controls I think). I want to try Wipeout and BlazBlue eventually. And while you can use other controls besides the Vita controls they are always active, so like in Shinobido I will try to use the grappling hook with normal controls, but my finger will be resting on the back touchscreen so it will think I am trying to use the touchscreen to aim, and wont let me aim with the left stick. Stuff like that is what gets me. Also having to use the Sixaxis control in Dynasty Warriors to aim for certain minigames. I look like a fool out in public suddenly turning this way and that way to try and hit everyone in game.

I am curious as to how the F1 2k11 game plays. I love racing games, the more sim like the better imo, but I also like the whole Wipeout series. I have the psp wipeout game and the PSN Wipeout game and expansion. So 2048 will be a definate purchase sometime in the future.

man, mal's talking out his ass leaving RE: revelations off like that. best one in ages! if you're immune to good N64/PS2 ports, mario land is still good. to each their own i guess.

ya'll have a presser on March 9th (R.I.P. biggie!), gotta expect some localization announcements and your holiday lineup. year 1 always drags its nuts, id say expecting the vita to get an identity this early doesnt make sense...how much android development is ready? PSP took years to get past the "its gonna be a portable PS2!" thing which i still think hindered it for a while there, despite GTA sales.

oh yeah: MLB is gonna bundle the PS3/vita games for $80 i read...$20 discount is a good start, again i hope to see more like that. the only ones i question are the top-tier...like, the next COD, why would they do that when they could charge full price on both and know they'll bank? i see the biggest incentive there for smaller projects...for instance, mal knows full well a real Souls announcement would be huge, haha.

oh...future stuff.

yeah, for me: animal crossing, weggie 2, paper mario, that 999/no escape sequel both systems are getting....and localization news on phoneix wright 5 and that layton crossover.

not a long list admittedly, but their presser last week had some stuff (just mostly things ive not really played yet like fire emblem), but at least GDC starts monday.

You know I've been looking for any justifiable excuse to buy this thing and I thought I found it when I saw mvc3 on it...

When I watch the commercials I assume that I can continue to play a game thats currently in my ps3. And with 3G magic I can stream the game. But then I see the ps store and I gotta buy the game over again T_T*.

Is there any other excuse I can use to blow $ on a vita? Is there a mame emu for it yet?

vCsOK.jpg

Maybe Sony's still weary after some questionable avertising practices with the PSP.....

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CqHd4UysK9k?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CqHd4UysK9k?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CqHd4UysK9k?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

• 3 months later...