Hondo's Bar

Spirited Away

JunkerSeed

I saw this one in orlando last weekend and holy shit was it great. It's an anime by Hayao Miyazaki (Princess Mononoke) about a girl that gets lost in an abandoned amusement park full of spirits. It's sort of Alice in Wonderlandish. I absolutely loved it. It's now easily one of my favorite animes. It's one of the most creative and beautiful movies I've ever seen. Great sense of humor, cool characters, full of heart, I really really liked it.

Only problem is that it's not out in Miami yet... If it is playing anywhere near you at all you absolutley MUST see it as soon as you can, and bring as many people as you can with you, young and old. If it comes out down here you'd better beleive I'm gonna watch it like ten more times. This one comes very very highly reccomended if you live anywhere remotely near a theater showing it.

Im bout the only bastard that hasnt seen Princess Mononoke yet, and Chi-chan swears by Hayao Miyazaki's other works (My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service), theyre all held pretty high as well.

Thanks for the review tho, if i can find this anywhere out here I'll see it for sure.

I've seen the trailer on apple.com. I'm assuming you saw it dubbed, as that's how it's shown here (but maybe you when to an anime-only theater and they show subbed movies). How is the voice acting? You can't compare it to the original voices, since you haven't seen it with the original voices, but doesn't is stand well on it's own?

And Nick, I know you don't need to hear one more person say it, but Princess Mononoke is good. Check it out if you can. I recommend stickign it on your netflix list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow....this one wasnt all hype at all.

To be honest, I enjoyed Princess Mononoke, tho i didnt think it was Miyazaki's best - a really good one, tho, mind you.

Junker's right here tho - Alice in Wonderland alla way, at times it gives the non-commerical fantasy feel you wish Disney would. Studio Ghibli has really perfected the art of envoloping the viewer in its fantasy, its really something.

The soundtrack (Joe Hisaishi if im not mistaken; one of Japan's famous composers, great work here and on Laputa: Castle in the Sky, Mononoke Hime, etc) isnt just fitting, it really flows with the beautiful animation; its that very ambience & Chihiro's wide-eyed wonder that makes this one as good as it is.

I cant wait to pick this one up, its one of those i can see watching many times and not gettin tired of it. Sucks that it didnt get the attention in theatres it deserved, but Miyazaki commented that he's happy its noticed stateside at all, he didnt expect that. In any event, i think its out on domestic release here pretty soon, so the rest of you have no excuse not to at least give this one a rent...you honestly wont regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

Spirited away is FINALLY at a theater near you starting today. Disney has opened it in 800 theaters as oposed to the maximum of like 17 (or was it 7) that it was at before. Now it's playing fuckin everywhere. Now everyone can see it, no hunting around, no long car trips, just go out and see one of the best movies of the year, one of the best animes ever... Take the oportunity to see this one in theaters, it's one beautiful movie, seeing it larger than life is an experience.

...as is the trend with most oscar winners.

What's the deal with IC always assumign anything Junker and I recommend not being worth the hype. Bowling For Columbine, Road To Perdition, and now Spirited Away. Junker praises it, I say it rocks, and IC says "I'll pass on it for like 6 months." I'm pretty sure he still hasn't seen Adaptation (though he did try to get it from me, PS ICQ sucks balls). IC, learn from your experiences. If Junker and I both give it a thumbs up, it's badass. We're like Siskel and Ebert. We even have the fatboy thinboy dynamic going on. Junker just needs to lose some hair and then die.

If Junker dies, ill carry him around with a pitchfork...

OK i was a ho about Road to Perdition but not with the others...i genuinely looked for theatres that played both Spirited Away & Bowling for Columbine when i moved here, nobody for a hundred miles or so was. Theatres here are weird...there's more than just AMC, bunch of fragmented ones fighting for movie rights, so youll actually have to find which one plays, say, Daredevil.

In any event, im really happy to hear that this ones in theatres. I understand Mononoke Hime's dubbing was pretty professional; ive only watched this one sub'd but would like to take some people around here to see this one on the big screen, can anyone vouch for the dubs?

umm, I guess.... well, concerning this one, I dont think IC had any doubt., he just couldn't find the fuckin thing in texas, I'm lucky that I got myself to the fancy disney screen at orlando when it was released. Anyways, try and haul some texans over to see it IC, I know you dont exactly have the most theater-going friendly crowd over there, but you know they'll thank you if you get em to see it

You're also being a ho about Adaptation. The problem with Texas is...wait a minute, did I use the word 'problem' in the singular sense? Whoa. My unconscious opinion of Texas must be improving for some reason. Anyway, the dubbing is as good as anime dubbign gets. Some would have you believe anime can't be dubbed properly, period. But it's very good.