Hondo's Bar

X-men Schism & Regensis

The NZA

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schism #5. A little more info on teams, Wolvie seems to get a lot of the students, some New X-men and the Quire thing makes more sense now. Cyke gets Namor.

That fight...

I got the distinct impression that Cyclops was not holding back and Wolverine definitely was. He wanted to hurt him with the hand, but he could have mutilated the guy relatively easily if he'd wanted to. Maybe Cyke just feels comfortable going to town on Wolvie because he knows he can take it.

But yeah. I can see how that could put a...ah...barrier in a friendship.

Fucking hell, why are the X-men going back to the nineties? The whole East Coast/West Coast thing is dead, man! Leave it. This is a step back.

Anyway, I'm gonna wait till I hear the new albums from each label before I decide who I'm supporting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so my actual feelings: Unlike most mega-events this was done right in that it was clear the whole way through what everyone wanted and why that made them fight each other and it focused on that central conflict very clearly rather than add a bunch of padding.

I read an interview with the creators where they talked about the camp/meeting to plan this event and they said that they knew they had hit on a good concept because half the writers took Cyclops's side and half took Wolverine's side.

I agree. You can't seem to find a clear way of saying one of them is right or wrong, can you? Unlike the Xavier/Magneto split, there's no clear moral bright line (Killing/subjugating civilians is wrong)

For my part, While I sympathise with him, I think that Wolverine is wrong strategically and philosophically, because sometimes you can't survive unless you fight and that includes kids in extreme situations. I'd be very interested in seeing how his books make it as superhero books since the whole point of his philosophy seems to be keeping his students out of confrontations. Or maybe he has enough 'senior' members to fight their battles while 'protecting' the kids?

Cyclops on the other hand was a very very poor tactical leader, choosing to put the kids into THIS fight. I'm mostly on board with the idea that these kids need to fight and even kill to survive WHEN REQUIRED, but this was an easily avoidable fight, not worth the risk.

Think about it: His heavy guns are out of commission (Magneto and White Queen taken out. Rogue and the other combat personnel out of the jurisdiction.) He's under a heavy fog of war, not knowing who attacked, their true objective, whether or not there are more attacks coming... And on top of that he sees his primary objective as protecting the PEOPLE of Utopia. Not Utopia itself, that's just a rock.

I'm sorry, Scott, but did you great leader training manual not cover the concept of retreat and regroup? Never read Sun Tzu about fighting only when you choose and only when you know you can win?

I don't know if I missed something in the books, but it seemed like evacuation was a workable option and it was just wrong to get into any fight without knowing WHO, WHY, WHAT, HOW etc, much less a fight with minors.

I'm more sympathetic with Cyclops for asking Idie to kill during the museum attack, though. But not comfortable. And I keep wondering if there was an alternative, but I can't see it.

20j5p3r.jpg

This is the law Obama needs to be trying to pass most urgently: Any comic book which features characters wearing pouches must provide an appendix in that comic stating what is supposedly in each pouch, explaining why that item needs to have a pouch all to itself and explaining the need for that item to the character and most importantly why that item should be in a pouch as opposed to their pocket.

Regenesis... I can just imagine the pitch meeting for this book: "Let's make a book that's 35 pages of people making decisions!"

I can't wait til the sequel, X-men: Cereal Aisle. What breakfast staple will each of the X-men chose? Let's watch repeatedly as different X-men walk down the same shelves and each choose between CycLoops and Wolverin-O's.

Really, there's nothing here that couldn't have been slipped into 4 panels of conversation in each of the relaunched titles' first issues. Hell, that's probably what's going to happen anyways, since they're going to have to introduce the characters and their motivations independently anyway.

Ororo's a champ for that. Emma had no intention of ever going, she just can't stop herself from doing a bit of emotional manipulation if an opportunity arises to do so.

Hank was pretty much perfect.

One of my favorite bits was when Rogue asked Magneto if he was considering joining the Wolverine's school.

2q09atz.jpg

dxfds1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ahahaha, Bobby's an omega like the blob is.

Any of ya'll hate-ah's happen to catch Wolverine &... #2?

It's almost like they were reading my posts. Decades of worthlessness and then BAM. Yeah. He's not the guy with "a lot of potential" anymore. Dude's definitely an omega, and definitely a badass.

*finds Arch*

PdeYv.gif

Yeah, yeah. All non-Alpha male characters with sparse body hair line up behind the badasses and be scenery. I've heard it all before. The dude's been a joke since the first goddamn issue, but me and science had faith.

Spoilers for those that have no intention of reading/don't care, and would still like to participate.

The school is under attack by an army of Frankensteins (don't ask), Iceman creates an army of ice bodies and takes 'em all out. Kind of like Multiple Madrox, except he extends his consciousness into each one simultaneously and personally controls them. He's literally a walking army.

HCVJj.jpg

Not just any army though, an army of immortal (essentially) dudes with iceman powers.

In addition to all the powers I've ranted about previously (somewhere. Here?) That makes him quite the badass.

Game.

Blouses.

I wanna -1 you so goddamn bad it hurts, but I save those for randomly digging up MM posts, and it seems like a very Hakuish thing to do.

• 1 month later...

i literally only know of him because of grant's New X-Men run.

go on, motherfucker. tell me you didn't finish it because of cat-beast or something. give me a fuckin' reason here.

We all know what Morrison did. What, I'm supposed to sideline that shit because he created Fantomex? Fuck you and your Irish Catholic approach to Xmen mythology

No I've read bits and pieces. Sadly this was all happening at a point where I wasn't picking up much or didn't have access to a store, and I've picked up arcs here and there and read some of the end stuff, but I thought I'd read it all when NZA dropped it on me a few years ago, I guess I must've skimmed

Archived