Hondo's Bar

DC rebooting (some of) its universe

The NZA

This was my favorite thing from the internet today:

Scott Lobdell: Why didn't you WARN me?

Gail Simone: I DID warn you, I said your Kory sucked!

Scott Lobdell: Well, that's certainly an opinion!

He's never written for DC before though apparently he's done some good stuff. But DiDio (who I'm beginning to see is a humongous sexist at best and a misogynist at worst) still tossed him on three books. The shameful thing is that this version of Speedy/Red Arrow is still worlds above the heroin shooting one-armed dead cat saving version we were exposed to most recently. Still Jason Todd needs to take a cue from Bucky and die again and Starfire needs to stop being written like a bad erotic fanfic character, I mean she was always blatant eye candy but at least she had redeeming qualities for people who don't buy comics exclusively for orange cleavage.

DC has always been bad at continuity and their solution up till now always seemed to be "Kill/retire" the old character replace them with a black person/woman: as evidenced by Dr. Mid-Nite, Sand Man, The Question, and Mr. Terrific. Though Mr. Terrific's replacement was actually better. It was also the next logical step from the 80s/90s solution of killing/retiring beloved heroes and replacing them with mopey white guys in their mid-20s (Azrael Batman, Green Lantern, Fate, Starman even if it was awesome)

will your rayner heresies ever end?

He's never written for DC before though apparently he's done some good stuff. But DiDio (who I'm beginning to see is a humongous sexist at best and a misogynist at worst)

can you expand on this? ive read the sentiment elsehwere, i just dont know much about Dido past the fact i think he screwed the pooch with Greg Rucka and i still don't know why.

also, too soon about Bucky, man. he died for your sins.

will your rayner heresies ever end?

can you expand on this? ive read the sentiment elsehwere, i just dont know much about Dido past the fact i think he screwed the pooch with Greg Rucka and i still don't know why.

also, too soon about Bucky, man. he died for your sins.

I stopped being 12 and realized that Fate was a bad character, one day you'll have this epiphany about his doppleganger Kyle Rayner.

I'm looking for them now but there were a series of articles on ComicsAlliance about how DC now has like 3 female writers now, down from the like 8-12 they had before. Some press guy for some website or another asked him why this was and he very defensively snapped "Who else should we be hiring? WHo?!" I honestly think he'd get rid of Gail Simone if she wasn't like a comic book folk hero.

• Downvote 1

Ok, so this week I'm gonna grab:

All Star Western

Superman

Justice League Dark

Teen Titans also could be good, and I've heard good stuff about the Flash, but I don't care much about Barry.

It's been a pretty solid month so far, it has about 1/2 dozen exceptional books, and about a 1/2 dozen REALLY bad ones (Legion of Superheroes accounts for two of those.) A lot of the books in the middle are at least pretty good, so we'll see how the initial month of the 52 ends up. DC has already sold out of every issue at the distributor, and every book is getting a second printing, with a few getting 3 and 4.

Now the question is, can they maintain this in any way?

Yeah, I just wasn't feeling Jenkins on Dark Knight before the new 52, and honestly, I have 2 other bat books that I am pulling for sure, with one maybe, so we'll see how it goes.

As for what I have grabbed so far:

All Star Western was awesome, Jonah Hex in Gotham with Amadeus Arkham as his Watson trying to solve a serial killing? Yes please!!

Superman was pretty cool, not amazing, but a good first issue, stuff happened, and you got a good feel for the characters and the art was great.

JL: Dark: Wasn't bd, but it felt like the entire issue was setup, not as bad as say JL #1, but I feel like the next issueis going to have to get some story going. Personally I would have dropped the cameos by the JLA in liu of more time with Constantine and Zatanna.

Also thinking about I, Vampire, I am hearing very good things about that one.

Edited by bishopcruz

Still debating it tho, if you grab it let me know. Still, have to say of the ones I have read out of this whole shebang, there are about two each week, that are can't miss books:

Batman, Demon Knights, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, All Star Western, Batwoman, and JL all fall under that category.

Then there are the, cool if you like the characters, that's for stuff like Nightwing, Superboy, and GL.

The absolute shit pile is reserved for Red Hood unless it get a LOT better very quickly, The Legion books, (or so I hear), Men of War, and probably Catwoman (and even Catwoman would have been a lot better if not for the absurdidy of her not only not knowing who Bruce is, but him not knowing who she is!!).

Still about 15% of these being pretty much universally acclaimed must reads is pretty damned impressive.

Logan, how did you like Batman?

^ah, didnt know that. yeah, bish had me kinda sold on western too, even before knowing that.

speaking of - baytor/bish/logans, how's Constantine working in the regular DCU? I love him in Vertigo but it's been at least a year since ive read him there anyway.

ps bish what's your go-to bats book, the one with that writer you've been hyping? pretend im too lazy to go back a page to look it up

Just read AQUAMAN #1 & Wonder Woman #1. Two characters I know but know almost nothing about.

WW was by far the better of the two and, as stated by others, bloody good. I'm rusty on my Greek mythology, so I'm not sure who the black "sun" is supposed to be (Apollo?). And the Zola girl isn't supposed to be someone from Greek mythology, I'm assuming, since she's bearing a "new" kid. Anyway, this book has me hooked.

Aquaman wasn't bad. It was a bit too painfully self aware, but the art was outstanding. The looks on Arthur's face as he received one stupid and insulting comment after another were priceless. This Ivan Reis guy is good. I'll be back for issue 2. Not necessarily for pirahana men, but to hopefully learn more about Arthur's past and what this mermaid chick's story is.

The absolute shit pile is reserved for Red Hood unless it get a LOT better very quickly, The Legion books, (or so I hear), Men of War, and probably Catwoman (and even Catwoman would have been a lot better if not for the absurdidy of her not only not knowing who Bruce is, but him not knowing who she is!!).

Why is it absurd she doesn't know his identity? And Selena says she's "not sure" if Bats knows her identity, and she doesn't care b/c she's all about the fetishist sexxors. So,it's not certain he doesn't know.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

^ah, didnt know that. yeah, bish had me kinda sold on western too, even before knowing that.

speaking of - baytor/bish/logans, how's Constantine working in the regular DCU? I love him in Vertigo but it's been at least a year since ive read him there anyway.

ps bish what's your go-to bats book, the one with that writer you've been hyping? pretend im too lazy to go back a page to look it up

The Bat book to get right now is Scott Snyder's Batman, great first issue, tells its story efficiently, and Greg Capullo kills it on art. Damn good book overall. Pre-relaunch, Snyder did a run on Detective Comics from #871 to 881, which was not only one of the best Dick Grayson stories ever, but one ofthe best Gordon stories, and honestly one of the best Batman tales ever.

Snyder is also writing Swamp Thing and American Vampire (Vertigo) and I loved the first issue of Swamp Thing. American Vampire is an honest to god fresh take on some vampire ideas with amazing art and great characters.

Why is it absurd she doesn't know his identity? And Selena says she's "not sure" if Bats knows her identity, and she doesn't care b/c she's all about the fetishist sexxors. So,it's not certain he doesn't know.

Well, the first is a continuity thing, Batman Inc. was supposed to remain untouched, as with the rest of the Bat continuity, and well, her not knowing pretty much makes the first couple of issues impossible. That and it kills some of the best stuff that ever happened to her character, including Dini's great 'Heart of Hush' run.

However, him not knowing who she is, or more specifically not being sure if he knows is just crazy. Essentially, in the entire time she has been a supervillain in Gotham, she has never been arrested by Batman. He has to have never called her by name, or seen her outside of costume with her knowing. It's just pretty absurd, considering that he went to visit her at her apartment, and knew when her previous place was blown up. The line is awful, and I honestly hope it gets tossed into a corner and ignored.

Just read Teen Titans and GL: New Guardians as Angel picked them up. Both were pretty good, though TT seems a bit emo.

Thanks, Bish. You just reminded me of how pathetically backlogged I am when it comes to Bat Books-- I still haven't gotten to "Hearts of Hush" yet. I did read the Gates of Gotham mini-series recently, and that was pretty good though.

Heart of Hush was the last Detective Comics run before Bruce bit it. Dini did the impossible in making Hush and interesting villain. Pretty crazy.

Also, read the aforementioned Run by Snyder, he co-wrote Gates of Gotham, and that 'Tec run is even better.

Oh, and as to Constantine, he hasn't shown upthat much, he was barely in JL: Dark thus far, but he should be in it more as the series progresses. I heard he was around for some brightest day shit, but I didn't read any of that. I do think the current guy on JL: Dark is the guy writing Hellblazer right now though, though I could be wrong.

Logan, how did you like Batman?

Dark knight aint nothin' special. It didn't make me want to claw my eyes out or anything. Well, at least not until the awful line on the last page. I'm posting it under spoiler tags for those that just don't give a fuck.

mcf7kj.jpg

Yeah...I don't think I'll be picking this one up again.

Strangely enough, Aquaman has me intrigued. It looks self deprecating enough to actually work.

Dark knight aint nothin' special. It didn't make me want to claw my eyes out or anything. Well, at least not until the awful line on the last page. I'm posting it under spoiler tags for those that just don't give a fuck.

mcf7kj.jpg

Yeah...I don't think I'll be picking this one up again.

Strangely enough, Aquaman has me intrigued. It looks self deprecating enough to actually work.

I actually meant Batman #1 from last week. I expected Dark Knight to be shit, and it looks it.

OH! Batman was the shit. I'm now interested in this Snyder kid.

So have you read American Vampire then? It was pretty much off my radar, probably because of the unfortunate timing: right when the world is being oversaturated with the genre. I'm now thinking I may have made a horrible mistake.