Hondo's Bar

Prometheus

I need to rewatch Alien soon.

Rewatched Alien last night. For some reason, I was under the impression that the reason this new film was called Prometheus was because when the Nostromo from the 1979 film received the message that awoke the crew prematurely, it came from the crew of a ship called Prometheus. So I was listening intently for a mention of that name, but no name was ever given, so now I really don't know what to expect from Prometheus. I was expeccting Promethues to end with the last living crew member sending out the warning message before being killed, then maybe it would cut to a shot of the Nostromo, and Mother (the on board computer) waking up. But then again, I think the film implied that the warning message was all bullshit anyway, and the crew was set up frrom the very beginning with Ash on board to retreive the xenomorph.

Anyway, reinforced what I already believed: Alien is a film classic that was aged beautifully. 33 years later, it holds up incredibly from the first time I watched, when I was like 9 or 10. I imagine it holds up nicely for someone who saw it in 1979.

again, isn't this being billed as not connected to the Alien mythos? i'm not going in expecting anything like that, really.

The promotional viral video of a fake TED talk was about the Weyland corporation, the corporation referred to throughout the series as "the company." We may or may not see any xenomorph aliens, but this movie is tied into that world.

Conceived as a prequel to Scott's 1979 science fiction horror film Alien, rewrites of Spaihts's script by Lindelof developed a separate story that precedes the events of Alien, but which is not directly connected to the films in the Alien franchise. According to Scott, though the film shares "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak", and takes place in the same universe, Prometheus will explor

yup. same universe, no direct connections. like i said, i'm not going in expecting otherwise, i don't think others should if they wanna enjoy this either.

See, in the early stages of this I heard that there will definitely be Xenomorphs, they just wont be a major part. Now Ridley is saying there will not be at all. I'm not sure if they were scrapped or if Ridley Scott is just a dirty lying whore.

• 1 month later...

I want this movie to make me pregnant. I was always a passing fan of the Alien franchise, but this movie made me a lot more enthusiastic about the greater tapestry. I can get people not digging it for any number of reasons(stoopid human opinion), but trying to say there's no direct link to xenomorphs is flatout dishonest(not accusing directly, I've just seen post-viewing statements that express this).

I guess I'll instantly bone up for any movie

where one of the protagonists is a pinochio-type figure. Humans trying to find their origins doesn't hurt either. Especially when they do and discover their 'god' wants them dead. Was an awesome way to explain the origin of xenomorphs but more importantly it finally answered my niggling question of which came first: the facehugger or the Queen caste?

THe things I couldn't quite wrap my head around and would appreciate clarification from anyone in the know: Zombie Geologist? I don't get that at all. I tried not to miss a single thing(this meant pissing discretely in a coke cup) but the last I saw of him alive was with his helmet breached courtesy of the snake/precursor to the facehugger acid blood.

Also- little unclear on the exact nature of the canisters. We see that they house the 4 vials a-piece, some of which was given to the Dr who then impregnated hot Dr organically with a motherfucker-giant facehugger, but were the worms/snakes a local species that just happened to react that way or designed by the engineers?

Fuck if I know. I'll guess a previous species that was changed by the Engineers. They weren't from that planet, themselves, after all. And what was up with David? Did he just want to be free of humans? Did he have some sort of feelings for Elizabeth Shaw, if so, why infect her boyfriend with something I can only assume he new next to nothing about, when it could have just as easily killed her? The Zombie Geologist I'm guessing was transformed into a meat puppet by the snake-thing.

What the hell is up with " " being sometimes added when we slap a spoiler tag on something?

When the Captain and crew went back down into the giant head room, they found the body of the geologist with his helmet dissolved away. There was a cheap scare where something (one of the snake things?) jumped out of his mouth. I guess thats what made him a zombie. I don't know, but I attribute it to Lost's Damon Lindelof (shown below, to the left) pulling stuff out of his ass.

lost-painting.jpg

One of my biggest grips was how they handled Weyland. We only get a hint of it from the TED viral video, but in the Alien universe, Peter Weyland is the most accomplished and influential human being in the entireity of human history. No one else even comes close. Dude single handedly took humanity from a Type 0 to a Type I (or arguably Type II) galactic civilization. And Prometheus makes him into a Scooby Doo Villian. To quote Panch when I told him this: "It was Old Man Weyland the whole time!"

I'm with Jizzer all the way. Loved this movie. I can't wait to see where they take this new franchise.

<p>There's a number of directions they can go with this. Shaw and David's next adventure will take place on the same planet, with them trying to find a way off with them leaving at the end. Also could give a clearer "this is how Alien started" thing since there are other ships with the possibility of more Space Jockeys. <br></p><p><br></p><p>Another more indirect way is an entire Alien reboot. Maybe the Xenomorph at the end was the Alien queen, but redesigned for a series reboot. I get that the Xenos take on dna property of their "parents", but this one looked too different. </p>

Saw the film tonight in IMAX 3D and thought it was excellent. It's probably the best "pure" sci-fi film since Inception. Did anyone stick around until after the credits? No scene but there was this Weyland Industries website link which was interesting, but not really revelatory. Anyone else seeing some of the SW parallels? Normally I'd mark it up to coincidence, but Lindelof wrote it and hes a notorious SW fanboy...

...Old Man Weyland as the Emperor. David as Vader. Charlize Theron as, um, well someone non-essential to the plot in almost every way. Stringer Bell as Han. Noomi/Shaw as Obi Wan+Leeloo Luke. This was obviously a MUCH better endeavor to revisit a sci-fi "universe" than Episode 1-3 were though.

Here's another viral vid from the website. It's spoilery in a thematic sense, but no plot spoilers really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwEtldZQNew

A conversation between Dr. Elizbeth Shaw (Naomi Rapace) and the Engineer/SpaceJockey:

p1.png

p2.png

p3.png

p8.png

p5.png

p6.png

p7.png

James Cameron's Prometheuses!! I can't wait!!

That was awesome!

...THe things I couldn't quite wrap my head around and would appreciate clarification from anyone in the know: Zombie Geologist? I don't get that at all. I tried not to miss a single thing(this meant pissing discretely in a coke cup) but the last I saw of him alive was with his helmet breached courtesy of the snake/precursor to the facehugger acid blood.

Also- little unclear on the exact nature of the canisters. We see that they house the 4 vials a-piece, some of which was given to the Dr who then impregnated hot Dr organically with a motherfucker-giant facehugger, but were the worms/snakes a local species that just happened to react that way or designed by the engineers?

Yeah, the black ooze affected the indigenous worms thus transforming them into the albino worms that killed the biologist. As for zombie-geologist (mohawk/tattoo guy), that's a good question. If it was the worm that turned him into the zombie then why didn't it do the same for the biologist? And if it was the black ooze then why didn't it do the same to Shaw's boyfriend? My guess is zombie-geologist's heightened strength and aggression came from a combo of being infected w/ the black ooze and the worm and/or the worm's acid blood.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
stoopid spoiler tags

Was he exposed to it longer than the boyfriend, or vice versa? If so, that could explain why he went crazy and the other dude didn't. Also, since it basically says that the Jockeys lost control of their "weapons", who knows what else was in there. The scientists didn't really have the ways or means to figure out how everything in there affected them, so not knowing seemed more realistic than some explanation made up on the fly.

Yeah, the black ooze affected the indigenous worms thus transforming them into the albino worms that killed the biologist. As for zombie-geologist (mohawk/tattoo guy), that's a good question. If it was the worm that turned him into the zombie then why didn't it do the same for the biologist? And if it was the black ooze then why didn't it do the same to Shaw's boyfriend? My guess is zombie-geologist's heightened strength and aggression came from a combo of being infected w/ the black ooze and the worm and/or the worm's acid blood.

You forgot something. It was a combo of the black ooze, the worm, and him being a total douche.

Thought about it a bit more and here are a few theories regarding the Engineers plans...

Opening Scene: We're all agreed that was the actual creation of mankind, right? Why did the Engineers create us? I've a theory on that I'll get to shortly.

Thoughts on the black goo: Just like Capt. Stringer Bell said, it's an engineered bio-weapon. Now, did it originate from an actual species or was it purely created by the Engineers? I've no idea, but I think the chamber w/ the giant head and the Alien Queen mural was the original lab or whatever that produced all those canisters for the "U" space ships. Somehow in transit to the ships the black ooze mutated, "got out," and infected the entire facility. The effect of the ooze on the Engineers ultimately resulted in their heads/brains exploding. My guess is the Engineer w/ the severed head was trying to get into that room b/c it was sealed off and safe from this mutated ooze. Thus, when the chamber was opened by David, the air changed the murals and the canisters started leaking.

Why did the Engineers make humans? They were growing an army. Humans weren't the army--we're the hosts for the army. The Engineers knew what would happen if they were impregnated with ooze infected sperm--a "Queen Face-Hugger" gets made. So they made mini-clones of themselves w/ which they were going to use to grow their army of xenomorphs/aliens. David knew this to some degree. That malevolent bastard could literally read the writing on the wall of that facility. He knew what he was doing when he spiked that drink. He wanted Shaw pregnant and in stasis so he could deliver that face hugging fucker to Earth to wipe out his "parents"--humanity. When Shaw cut it out of herself, he went to plan B and got that Engineer awake and the ship launched.

Why did the engineers need an army? Who the hell knows, to fight the Predators? wink.gif My guess is we'll find out if there's ever a sequel. I don't think all the Engineers are dead. I think they knew how deadly that black ooze was to them and just stayed the fuck away from that planet after shit hit the fan.

Read an interesting thought that Jesus was a Space Jockey or related to the Jockeys somehow (I ain't callin' them Engineers). They found those dead bodies and presumed them to be dead approximately 2000 years right? It would make sense that the Jockey they found in stasis is the same age (I can by that judging from their tech). We crucified Jesus, so the Jockeys were like "that's it", and hated humanity for it. Yeah it's pretty out there, but it's a better reason to kill us than "just cause". Again, just another theory so who knows. I like that David theory though. It makes alot of sense especially since the whole movie conversations with him revolved around whether or not he hated humans. Or did he? You can't feel hate! Maybe he can?

I just refer to

of this when I start thinking too much

That Jesus theory is bullshit. Jon (Spacecowboy) and I were talking about this very thing and I refuse to believe it. As far as other theories, I like the Space Jockey vs Engineer one. It was the religious Engineers that wanted to create life and the aggressive Space Jockey that wanted to destroy it. The Engineers rebelled and created life on Earth anyway. The planet with the huge faces being their sacred ground. Hence all the references to it on Earth. The Space Jockeys then killed them and started creating a biological weapon to wipe what they did out, taking their sacred place and making it a staging area for an attack. Shit backfired and they were killed... except one.

So the engineers made another species after their first species turned out to be too impudent? I'm just waiting for the invitable "they created the Yautja (Predators) too" because then Alien/Predator mythology will rip off StarCraft which was itself ripping off Alien vs. Predator. And then presumably the universe will collapse.

Edited by Iambaytor