Hondo's Bar

Prometheus

Honest Trailer

Haven't seen this but given how bullshit the one for the Avengers was I'm kinda dubious. Is this gonna be one of those things like Inception that's "SO CONFUSING AND DOESN'T MAKE SENSE" but I'm going to sit down and watch it and understand it in its entirety anyway?

Edited by Iambaytor

Haven't seen this but given how bullshit the one for the Avengers was I'm kinda dubious. Is this gonna be one of those things like Inception that's "SO CONFUSING AND DOESN'T MAKE SENSE" but I'm going to sit down and watch it and understand it in its entirety anyway?

Yes. Like I said- you're presented with all the info required, you just need to connect the dots.

Just wanted to put my two cents in, as this has been one of the few movies I have wanted to see.

I like the movie as a whole. But to me it seemed like they filmed a trilogy worth of movie and cut it down into 1.5 hours. All the revelations were so glossed over it was almost pointless to have them. I don't understand what people didn't understand about the film. Everything is explained and I didn't really have questions at the end.

I just think that they should have made this into a trilogy. I wanted more, more depth of characters, more exploration and discovery, more action, more everything. And in a sense it is bad that it didn't give me what I wanted, but I can't fault something truly for making me want more.

7/10 Turning your spacesuit into a bong is cool and all, but doesn't belong in this movie.

wow, what a great movie. great great great.

I had read about this being a parallel rather than a straight prequel and it really makes more sense it being a parallel to the alien movies.

Haku, I really like some of your ideas about what they did here.

David being an angry/spiteful character wanting to kill humanity is an

interesting spin and theory. I like his one on ones with mara and john

(was that his name) about life and creation.; But I think he was more

following weiland's orders, creating the monster and waking the engineer.

I really believe he wanted peace when he started talking with the thing.

If he did want to wipe out humanity, why help mara at the end? still, you

can't help but look at him and see;his pain when he's told he lacks a soul

or emotion.

but if he did want to wipe out humanity - his;conversation

with;mara when she told him she wanted to find out why the engineers wanted

to;obliterate humanity and his confusion is that much more impactful,

because he technically wouldnt have cared, being a creation of humans.

those eel things on the planet.. i think were just there to get a rise from

the fans, like here comes the alien, cool. in actuality they had nothing

to do with them and mabye to survive on that particular planet, animals have to

have acid blood.

The biological weapons were in my opinion, meant for earth. they knew

what this stuff would do to humans, especially with that mural in the

room. and how david knew exactly how to administer it, seems like they

were just pit stoping at this planet. mabye the worms were killing

them. i haven't quite put that together

finally, isn't it just a little strange the stages the alien has

increased? unless that's the first one, the first queen.. because face

huggers don't emerge from the host...

i also don't get why the guy at the beginning would purposely commit suicide

to create life... but it's an easy explanation if you figure these engineers

have a military arm or a scientific or religious faction. -another reason for

the murals and the possible crazies to destroy humanity

Edited by spiffytee

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw this tonight. It was a serious fucking struggle to though. Not because of content but because of shit video files. I downloaded it earlier today, popped my popcorn, cracked open a bottle of beer and had just gotten into it, when the characters start speaking Hindi...the thing is fucking dubbed. So then I try tv links, and after much effort, i fond one that works, but then halfway through the film, it stops streaming. I try a few other sites but no joy, then I click back onto vlc player (for no reason) and the original mkv file I which I had downloaded, and I remember to check for multiple audio tracks...shit my hat, English is a fucking option.

Anyway, I finally saw it. I enjoyed it, great acting, excellent concept, would've liked a little more info on the engineers, but all in all a solid movie. 8/10.

Just to address a few other things in this thread.

Lost was a great show, with excellent acting, and a really cool premise where all this crazy shit was happening but it'd all be explained in the end...it wasn't. The ending was a fucking piece of shit, slap in the face and makes the show now, unwatchable.

The Dark Knight Rises was a very good film that wasn't as good as the best comic film ever, as are most films that aren't The Dark Knight.

Edited by alive she cried

• 2 weeks later...

I did it so you don’t have to...

Javut.jpg

The first time I watched the film was in IMAX 3D in the theater and it blew me away. It was a beautifully shot film and well paced with a cast of interesting characters. Overall I’d give the theater experience an A-.The Blu Ray transfer is equally as gorgeous. Even though this version comes w/ a 3D Blu Ray, I don’t have a 3D player, so I can’t speak to the quality of that version. I bought the 3D version b/c it’s the one that was touted as having all the “Questions Will Be Answered” extras. So here are my impressions after re-watching the film on Blu Ray. Three times.

The first watching was with Ridley Scott’s commentary on.

Maybe it was because I was promised my questions would be answered, but I found Scott’s commentary a bit meandering and I was multitasking not long in to it. Scott would go entire scenes by stating the obvious, “Here Shaw is in a 220MPH windstorm,” but he’d let loose interesting nuggets as well. For example, the black ooze wasn’t CGI when David first discovers it—it’s that corn starch concoction w/ a speaker under it. Scott saw it on youtube and said color it black. Viola—alien, DNA altering ooze.

There were a few key scenes I was looking for Scott’s input on. One being the team’s initial discovery of the room with the giant head sculpture and canisters of ooze. Scott had almost nothing to add in relation to what that room truly was. Scott did say that one of the murals appears to be a human in distress “almost as if he’s being sacrificed.” No comment on the giant fucking xenomporph mural other than to say it was base don something H.R. Giger did for the first Alien film. He kind of teased, as he did throughout the commentary, that perhaps more about the room would be revealed in subsequent sequels.

Scott said he is ready to do the sequel, “Now.” And even a third film possibly. Ultimately the reason he was being so cagey about calling this an alien prequel is b/c he wanted to play in his sci-fi universe (Prometheus, Alien, and Blade Runner all likely take place in the same universe) but not be a direct lead-up or explanation to Alien. Prometheus and any subsequent sequels would focus on creation, the origins of life on Earth, and not necessarily origins of xenomorphs explicitly.

The second watching was with the writers’ commentary on.

This one actually had some answers. Jon Spaihts & Lindelof share a track and it was an interesting juxtaposition. I have to say, as a fan of Lindelof, this commentary really won’t help him win any new ones. It, in fact, even made me like him a little less. He’s a bit too eager to be vague just for the sake of being vague. Here’s a good example—he says the planet in the opening scene is Earth then a few minutes later he says, “Maybe it is Earth, maybe it isn’t.” WTF!?!? Then Spaihts comes in to confirm in his original draft the disintegrating Engineer turned in to tiny little insect like creatures and one infected a Paleolithic human. Was that so hard, Damon?

Lindelof’s commentary also focused a lot more on the human characters, David, and David’s interaction with the humans than it did on the Engineer’s facility. Lindelof also spoke in great detail about many of the film’s deleted scenes and how they weaved in to the story. Yes, David was acting on Weyland’s orders the whole time. But David could kind of extrapolate and riff on those orders in his own way. Thus not necessarily making David an “evil” android, but rather an android carrying out broad orders in what could be construed as nefarious means. There was an unshot scene where David entered in to Weyland’s hypersleep (the way he did with Shaw) to receive orders and give progress reports. David reported they found nothing but dead bodies and Weyland basically says do whatever it takes to get me answers on how to gain immortality. This leads to the “Mickey” scene with Holloway. Also of note, Lindelof mentions how it’s not until Holloway says he’d do “anything” to find out answers regarding the Engineers that David spiked the drink. Lindelof says this was basically David’s way of skirting around any moral or ethical firewalls that were in his programming.

Lindelof also talked up the Greek tragedy angle—mortals seeking the gods, wanting their power, knowledge, immortality. David 8 being Weyland’s only previous hope of immortality before made him Weyland’s greatest source of pride, but David saw how easily that was usurped by the possibility of Weyland extending his own mortality. Interestingly enough, Scott also said in his commentary that, “David hates Weyland for creating him.” Hates? Hmm. Did Weyland come too close to the mark with David’s emotionality upgrades?

The third watching was the film followed by the 13 deleted scenes.

I’m guessing these 13 deleted scenes are where the touted “answers” are supposed to reside. There is an alternate beginning in which a group of Engineers comes of the monolithic ship and ceremoniously leaves the “seeder” Engineer on Earth. Lindelof says there was dialogue written for this scene, but it wasn’t included in this scene.

Biology guy being an idiot and petting the giant cobra like alien that breaks his arm and kills him is also explained a bit more in a cut scene where he finds a 6-inch worm prior to David unlocking the hologram video. He’s so friggin’ happy that he wants to go back to the ship to study it immediately because he says in all the previously charted planets, nothing larger than bacteria was discovered.

There is a much longer fight between Shaw and the engineer pilot where she uses that odd, curved axe.

The scene where the Engineer pilot is awoken was extended. It included a great speech by Weyland where he compared himself to the Engineers, saying they were both vreators and gods and that’s why he deserved to live forever. The engineer replied in his alien language (based on Sanskrit), but no subtitles were given.

Also included is an extended scene where Shaw retrieves David. She asks him what the pilot said before he ripped off David’s head, and David tells her the engineer said he came from a planet which loosely translates in English to paradise. Shaw is also more hostile towards David here than in the final cut.

The other scenes include some interesting character moments for Holloway, Vickers and Janeck, and a longer attack scene by rage-zombie Fifield.

Located in the “Weyland Files” section, which are Peter Weylands comments about the Prometheus mission and reflections on his life, there were a few interesting tidbits. LV-426 was Weyland’s secret ulterior motive for the trillion dollar expedition to LV-223. His company’s science division detected a faint signal coming from there and only David was made aware of the transmission as a contingency plan. Was this possibly the same signal from the other engineer ship detected by the Nostromo in Alien?

Also in these files are mentions of Weyland’s former “competitor” and “mentor” whom is implied to be Tyrell, creator of the replicants from Blade Runner.

MOAR Answers! Bonus Disc Documentary

If you’re looking for answers on how the script went from being a true Alien prequel written by Jon Spaihts to Damon Lindelof’s Prometheus and other staggeringly in depth “making of” type stuff, then this has about four hours worth of answers for you. If you’re looking for explanations to story points—ain’t shit here, son.

So what happened on LV-223 to kill all the engineers? Why did they want to unleash the canisters of black ooze on Earth? Why were the cave paintings on Earth? Why was the xenomorph that emerged from the engineer so different than the ones in Alien? What’s up with the room with the giant xenomorph mural and giant head? I guess we’ll have to wait for Prometheus II: Promethier to find out.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
tl;dr--just watch the deleted scenes.

I'm just happy this series is being continued in stead of cheapened out by

predator collabo crap (even tho I actually wanna see what's next after that predator spawn)

This movie had me shutting bricks in the theatre. 'twas a good night being reminded of my childhood traumas watching this as a kid.

• 1 month later...

Crim and axels should be happy about this.

Lindelofless Prometheus sequel:

Lindeloff: ...I’m usually very single-minded creatively. I can only be working on one thing at a time. So I said to [Ridley Scott], “I really don’t think I could start working on this movie until I do this other stuff. And I don’t know when the other stuff is going to be done.” And he was like, “Well, okay, it’s not like I asked you anyways.” He and I are on excellent terms and it was a dream come true to work with him. But much to the delight of all the fanboys, I don’t see myself being involved in Prometheus-er.
Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 1 year later...

Prometheus 2 unlikely to contain xenomorphs

“The beast is done. Cooked,” he says simply. “I got lucky meeting Giger all those years ago. It’s very hard to repeat that. I just happen to be the one who forced it through because they said it’s obscene. They didn’t want to do it and I said, ‘I want to do it, it’s fantastic’. But after four (he has conveniently forgotten the ‘AvP’ movies), I think it wears out a little bit. There’s only so much snarling you can do. I think you’ve got to come back with something more interesting. And I think we’ve found the next step. I thought the Engineers were quite a good start.”

prometheus-species-flow-chart.jpeg

interesting kinda fading on this one

• 11 months later...

Ridley Scott confirms Prometheus 2 is his next film

They faced another challenge when the film’s release date was brought forward. But according to Damon, the typically fast-working Scott didn’t worry. “Ridley was done with the movie about two weeks after we shot!” he smiles. “I was already on to my next movie!” adds Scott. “I was starting to look for locations for my next movie, which is Prometheus 2.”

BlE9mnn.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...