Hondo's Bar

Prometheus

I really liked the vague nature of Prometheus. At the end - I was like, "That's it?!" I wanted to see more! I wanted to know where they were going and what happens next. I had the same reaction when I saw Fellowship of the Ring at the theater: "That's it?! How can you end it now?!" (I know, a completely different kind of movie) I like the feeling of a movie leaving you wanting to watch and know more - it did it's job of getting the audience invested and interested.

I wasn't upset at the 'confusing', open-ended-ness of...the whole thing. I thought it was a brilliant set-up for...whatever in the hell they have planned. So glad a sequel is happening and they aren't abandoning the premise. It's a good flick, just...not a lot of answers that are typically spoon-fed. I thought that was kinda cool - got me wanting to watch another. It's all eventually gonna tie into Alien? Bonus.

Prometheus 2 is now called Alien: Paradise Lost apparently.

The new planet to be featured in Alien: Paradise Lost, which will be the home of the nefarious engineers of the first film, is said to have been dubbed “Paradise” by the filmmakers. Although Scott has previously confirmed the original H.R. Giger Alien designs will not be replicated for this new film, it should involve new terrifying creatures, including the engineer/alien hybrid dubbed “The Deacon” as glimpsed briefly in the finale of Prometheus.

I just hope they get some solid writers on this thing... cause this is looking like a doozy to try and pull off.

I guess Neill Blomkamp's Alien flick is still happening too?

I read someplace that Alien 5 is being put on hold till this movie is out.

I'm okay w/ 'Paradise Lost' - it makes sense in the context of what Prometheus was. I would've left 'Alien' outta the title, though -but that's me. Maybe it's a technical / rights / legality thing. Maybe there's an issue w/ it just being titled 'Paradise Lost'. Ah dunno.

I seriously hope they got some good writers, too. A Blade Runner sequel? I'm inclined to say, why? But..another tale set in that universe could be cool. Could be.

I'm blown away that they're actually going to do an Alien 5. Where else can you take the Ripley character? (Alien clone, at this point, right?) I remember Sigourney really pushing for a formal conclusion to the series when she was out promoting Alien: Isolation. I read also that Michael Biehn (Hicks) has been tapped to be a part of it.

God, but it feels like such an easy way out - 'eh, those last 2 never happened'. They did that w/ Superman Returns. In my opinion, either reboot it and put a lid on what was - or actually be creative come up w/ a story worthy of telling. Gotta treat these franchises w/ respect - the fanbase is what makes 'em valuable.

Splitting the Alien Saga into 'canon' and 'non-canon' films would be divisive and just hurt the brand.

People obviously want to go back and see more of the established Alien universe - get some answers. I can't imagine where it can go at this point, but Sigourney was a huge part of the creative process in Insurrection and from what I've read, she doesn't want to discount anything and has an idea of how to conclude the series.

LOL - she's nuts - but it is greenlit and being called 'Alien 5'. She doesn't get roped into these things - she genuinely loves the Alien universe. Wish I could be a fly on the wall during these meetings.

i get you, but if the movie is universally booty buttcheeks - X-men 3, Jurassic Park: Lost World, Alien-whatever-of-the-last-decade-or-so etc and kinda deadens the franchise, i'm pretty much okay with anything shy of a deal with mephisto making it go away & just telling a better story instead

Yeah, I don't think Alien 3 and Insurrection are horrible. I enjoy 'em. The state that Alien is in - I don't think it's at a 'just let it die' state. There could be a finale. Conclude and give what people (fans / consumers) love so much a proper send off. For better or for worse - it's over. Move on. Reimagine the concept, whatever.

Ghostbusters had the potential to keep going - but...yeah.

X-Men 3 - my god, Prof. X dead, Cyclops dead, Jean dead, Mystique cured, Magneto cured...oh, wait - he moved the chess piece!

No. That was universal booty buttcheek cheese. Nobody was screaming for X-Men 4 after that. Let it die. The people in charge were the wrong people to be in charge.

They gotta give Alien a proper send off worthy of it's legacy.

axels how did you not find lost world a disappointing sequel

oh yeah 3 was terrible too

yeah its been forever but i didn't hate alien 3...4 i could throw inna bushes but you're right, it doesn't deaden things...ive heard others say the AvP stuff watered it down further but i never watched em so i can't say.

and i'm certainly okay with a finale to this corner of the universe (we're never getting that Cameron one about going to their home planet i guess), but the one thing 3 did that was shitty was take hicks & bishop out offscreen like that...that was some mortal kombat annihilation shit, and im totally okay with them pretending it didn't happen if the story calls for it, you know?

I'll concede JP3 was a bad movie.

Entertaining!

But bad.

But the Raptor action in Lost World (sans gymnastics shit) was fantastic. And more Goldblum is never a bad thing. :tangent:

All this said, I'm excited for Ridley Scott to do a proper Alien entry again. And I'm excited for Blomkamp's go at whatever he's doing. Can't be worse than Resurrection.