Hondo's Bar

New Ultimate Spider-Man revealed

Link

Benreillycostume.png

Joke

The new Spider-Man will be a half-black half-Hispanic teenager

Ultimate-Spider-Man_510.jpg

Image Credit: Marvel Comics/AP Images

Spider-Man is dead. Long live Spider-Man! Marvel Comics announced today that a new webslinger will appear in this week's Ultimate Comics Fallout #4. According to the Associated Press,

the new Spidey is Miles Morales, a mixed-race teenager of half-black

and half-Hispanic descent. It's an intriguing shake-up for the

Spider-Man character; Marvel superheroes tend to be personified by one

iconic alter ego, as opposed to, say, the DC Universe, where roughly one million people

have been the Flash. (This is the part of the post where I am

contractually obligated to note that this new multi-ethnic Spider-Man is

actually part of the "Ultimate" side-universe, and that good ol'

lily-white Peter Parker is still toodling along in the mainline Marvel

universe. Comic books!)

Writer Brian Michael Bendis has always brought his distinctive sensibility to Ultimate Spider-Man, so I believe him when he tells the AP that making Spider-Man a black character is not just a PR stunt. (Bendis references Community star Donald Glover's online plea to be cast as Spider-Man,

a classic case of what-might-have-been.) And I'm kind of stoked to see

Bendis striking out so completely on his own with the new character — it

feels like, after years of cannily reworking old Spidey mythology, he's

embarking on his own mythmaking journey. Still, I'm always a bit

skeptical about completely new secret identities — I'm a survivor of the Ben Reilly era — so let's just cross our fingers here.

Edited by alive she cried

It's funny Jax, that's exactly what my first reaction was too.

If he turns out to be gay, this would cover nearly all the demographic bases.

I give it a year before ultimate Ben Reilly whips up a Parker clone to replace him, or maybe it turns out the Parker that died WAS a clone!!!

/SHOCKING

You vex me with your petty details! Ock would claim credit for anything, especially something done by a Proud Nubian Brotha. He's a maniac and a racist.

Reilly provided the DNA, he's got the goods. Mark my words: Ultimate Ben Reilly will return. MARK THEM!

<object width='320' height='240'><param name='movie' value='http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/flash/pl55.swf'></param><param name='flashvars' value='config=http://mediamatters.org/embed/cfg3?id=201108030013'></param><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always'></param><param name='allownetworking' value='all'></param><embed src='http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/flash/pl55.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' flashvars='config=http://mediamatters.org/embed/cfg3?id=201108030013' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' width='320' height='240'></embed></object>

Worst part of it, other than being a completely new character is that the kid is 13.

That's not Spider-man territory, that's Spider-lad territory.

And his mom is Puerto Rican, no way in hell she doesn't find out what he is doing, and when she does, no Spider sense in the world is going to help him dodge the chancleta flying at his head.

But God, 13? That is just dumb. Ultimate Peter was too young as it is.

if Bendis really did somehow come up with this (and not joe Q, who's wanted this kinda thing forever), it could be alright. ill actually check it out once it's a few months in because of him.

how old was Ultimate peter when he started? 15 or so? they obviously want a full-grown Parker in his 30's in the 616, and usually a high school one in USM but seriously, if they're gonna try something like this, might as well differentiate it more and get out whatever jr high stories they've got, it's not like the ultimate universe doesn't fast forward a few years whenever they please.

Ultimate has never fast forwarded a few years, it's been a year and a half tops, Peter started at 15, died at 16. That took a decade. They always talked about jumping forward in time, but never did, and certain series suffered for it. That and I dunno I think 15 is my bare minimum for my suspension of disbelief on a mainline hero. Peter was pushing it as it was. At 13, I just don't see how he can even call himself Spider-man. He's a complete kid.

you sound like J Jonah

they can, and have, fast forwarded is the point. Millar and Bendis both said in interviews when founding it that the universe can freely jump ahead for next volumes, or whenever the plot needs to. my point is: yeah, we know the kid's racial status from a presser, and what? he could be 13 till his origin is done, or stay that way for years if Bendis has stories in mind for that age.

again, you're looking at a universe that's basically a breeding ground for ideas. they're clearly letting BMB run with this as his own character at this point; considering you're read/enjoyed shleck like Ultimate X, why not let a few issues get out the gate & see what you think? nitpicking that he's a few years younger than the default only reinforces the idea that franchise characters have a mold that must be stuck to on every inevitable relaunch.

watch, by issue 10 he'll be a bisexual drug addicted jazz critic, and won't you be sorry then

you sound like J Jonah

they can, and have, fast forwarded is the point. Millar and Bendis both said in interviews when founding it that the universe can freely jump ahead for next volumes, or whenever the plot needs to. my point is: yeah, we know the kid's racial status from a presser, and what? he could be 13 till his origin is done, or stay that way for years if Bendis has stories in mind for that age.

I'm not discussing his race at all in these posts. Yes I think it was a gimmick, but it doesn't really bother me nearly as much as his age. As in, his race never made me think this character would suck, his age, yeah, kinda.

They have jumped forward once, for 6 months right after Ultimatum. I have heard talk in interviews about time skips going forward a few years etc., etc., but it never happened. Peter aged 1 to 1 1/2 years during the whole decade of his run. Ultimates 3 was supposed to be 2 years after 2, that didn't happen. There was supposed to be a 5 yer jump after Ultimatum, but it became 6 months. I just don't see their storytelling style changing much. IOW, they certainly CAN jump forward in time, but based on a decade of stories, I doubt they ever will.

Now you mentioned that they have done time skips in the past, maybe I missed one, which ones are you talking about?

again, you're looking at a universe that's basically a breeding ground for ideas. they're clearly letting BMB run with this as his own character at this point; considering you're read/enjoyed shleck like Ultimate X, why not let a few issues get out the gate & see what you think? nitpicking that he's a few years younger than the default only reinforces the idea that franchise characters have a mold that must be stuck to on every inevitable relaunch.

I don't think not being thrilled about the concept of a pubescent Spider-lad is nitpicking. BMB is good, maybe he'll surprise me, but I really doubt it. Looks like they saw "Waiting for Superman" and thought they could do something really cool by having a middle schooler or some shit. (Seriously, look at the preview pages for #1, those scenes are straight out of that movie.)

Characters that by all rights shouldn't work have gone on to be my favorites in the past, and Bendis, when he is on, is amazing. Even so, 13 year old kid running of on his own to fight crime in a world as seriously dangerous as the UU, I'm just honestly not that interested.

Now you mentioned that they have done time skips in the past, maybe I missed one, which ones are you talking about?

i should really go look this up, i was certain there was 6 months to a year between volume 1 and 2 of Ultimates, cause Millar was on about that being a standard for it. god knows ill never touch vol 3 again to confirm that end of it.

I don't think not being thrilled about the concept of a pubescent Spider-lad is nitpicking. BMB is good, maybe he'll surprise me, but I really doubt it. Looks like they saw "Waiting for Superman" and thought they could do something really cool by having a middle schooler or some shit. (Seriously, look at the preview pages for #1, those scenes are straight out of that movie.)

huh...never did see that film, you might be right. i hope they've got more in mind than just a soapbox too, granted.

like we talked about, Joe's wanted this since arana spider-girl, i guess im quietly hoping bendis (who is the only guy who tore it up for almost the whole run of the book, as far as ultimate writers go) sees this as a chance to play with the spider mythos without insecure peter, aunt may, etc. i admit, most times this doesn't go well, but i look at stuff like your batman beyond and get faint hope.

Characters that by all rights shouldn't work have gone on to be my favorites in the past, and Bendis, when he is on, is amazing. Even so, 13 year old kid running of on his own to fight crime in a world as seriously dangerous as the UU, I'm just honestly not that interested.

true, but utlimate peter wasnt even in tights for what, the first 5 issues or so? i wonder how long bendis is gonna set this one up for. he's gotta know going into it there's a small window to make the ultimate universe relevant again here. as an aside: i read the characters introduced in Ultimate X are gonna be the next wave of X-men, so you might wanna look for that book too.