Hondo's Bar

New Ultimate Spider-Man revealed

At 13, I just don't see how he can even call himself Spider-man. He's a complete kid.

It's true. It's almost like he's trying to conceal his true identity when he puts on that mask. What a fraud! This is the most blatant case of false advertising since Billy Baxton claimed to the American public to be a Captain. I have yet to see record of such a promotion by any body, be it military, police or any other. For shame, Miles Morales! For shame!

Who gives a shit if his alter-ego secret identity alias has the word 'man' in it when he is 13? I have always been of the opinion that Spider-Man is truer to its essence when he was in school than as a thirty-something married to a supermodel. But the point of putting on a mask to fight crime is to conceal your identity. The fact that he is calling himself a Spider-MAN is not a problem.

Yeah, let's judge the ability of it to be pulled off or not solely on his age, because there's no way anybody can be emotionally mature at that age, and high school stories all suck. It's not like the bit we did see of him was all of spider-man's attitude and then some, no, it was just some kid complaining about how his pullups were full. :sarcasm:

Spider-man's essence is honestly him in college. That is when the bulk of stories that made Spidey spidery REALLY went down. He was in High school for less than 3 years real time in the 616-verse, college took him like 20 years after that. His essence if you want ot call it that was a guy trying to make it on his own while juggling, school, work, and family obligations, oh and his life as a super hero. No one is calling for Ultimate Spidey to be married to MJ, with a great job, and on the Ultimates... I was hoping for something past high school however.

At 13, there is a thematic disconnect. It's sidekick age in the greater comic book fiction and it is going to be a damn tough sell after the whole "Peter was too young" theme that was the basis of the last Spidey arc.

Yes the point of a mask is to conceal an identity, but that only goes so far. I mean if he were to call himself Spider-girl I think people would note something was wrong. If Damian Wayne were to put on the cape and cowl, he would not, at age 10 be Batman. I mean if you take a 13-year old, put him in a spider man mask and put him up against someone who is a few years its senior, one looks like Spider man, one looks like a little kid in a costume. Miles isn't even a BIG 13 year old, he's tiny. And thus, Spider-lad.

• Downvote 1

Are we assuming they'll just keep him thirteen? That they're not gonna move time forward a time or two to let the world age?

Well, I think that the safe assumption is, even if they might be planning to, they won't age him in any meaningful way. Look at it this way, since 2000, when the Ultimate universe started a grand total of 1 1/2 years has passed. 6 months of which was after Ultimatum, which was supposed to have been a prelude to a 5 year jump. Peter Parker went from being a freshman, to halfway through his sophomore year. If they do decide that time can move quickly, and after a year or so we have a Miles as a senior getting ready for college, then color me pleasantly surprised. But no, every time they have talked about moving the UU forward, they have pussied out on it.

That and considering Bendis wants to use this comic to talk about the whole charter school political situation, I figure he'll have at least a decade of pontificating.

When Stan Lee pitched Spider-Man, he said he insisted he wanted Peer Parker to be a teenager, despite his editor's insistence that "teenagers are not superheroes, they're sidekicks."

And while Stan Lee was WRITING Spider-Man he got Peter out of High School in less than 3 real life years. Peter was still a teenager going in to college, and no one was bitching. Hell I didn't even bitch TOO much at 15 year old Peter at first because that IS where Spider-Man began, him never advancing past high school however did grate on me after a decade.

Let me put it this way, Dick Grayson, who aged slow as all hell, aged from 8 to 18 in roughly 30 years. Peter aged at about 1/3 that rate. Bendis has an issue moving Peter forward.

I also want to address the 'iconic' idea of Peter in high school, and that's just not the case. As I said, Peter was barely in high school as a hero. He was in college for roughly 10 times longer. It was during that time that Spider Man, as everyone knows him was born. We met MJ, Gwen, Harry and a ton of the core cast. He had financial troubles, and he was still a teenaged for his first couple of years.

And Miles is barely even a teenager. Miles is ridiculously young, especially for the Ultimate Universe. Peter's troubles were overblown for a High School kid, middle school is just absurd.