Hondo's Bar

New Ultimate Spider-Man revealed

• 5 weeks later...

Bendis was writing well to be sure, but for $4 I felt a bit cheated. Just not enough story, and very little focus on Miles himself, mainly on his family. What was there was very well done, but odd choices. It just felt that very little happened in the issue, but Bendis can be extremely decompressed at times.

That and for trying to be all into the whole charter school thing, Bendis needs to do his homework. Charter Schools cannot by law charge tuition. That was also odd.

Edited by bishopcruz

Really? I'd figure the other shit was far far worse. I was just making an offhand comment on how half the time writers try to bring in the real world issues into a comic they don't do their homework and it comes off as silly and drags me a bit out of the story. But kudos to you for making accuracy your primary motivation.

But honestly, my main gripe as I said was that the comic felt incredibly short. Hope issue two actually tells us a bit about y'know Miles, the main character. I mean this issue was decompressed even for Bendis. It is very much written for trade. Didn't mention the art though, friggen fabulous.

yeah, you did so, and i wanted to point out that you were being that guy. as a sub teacher, you know something most here presumably don't @ charter schools, so you pointed it out & it took you out of the story. i find stuff like that anal, as many stories i read butcher/inccorectly address medical science, philosophy, all kinds've things i pardon so long as they're not so obviously wrong as to go against common knowledge.

i'm likely not gonna read this one till at least a full arc is out - if you remember USM, peter wasnt even in his costume until what, 5 or so issues in? Bendis has a whole new supporting cast to grow here, presumably - we're lucky if this doesn't reach Ellis levels of decompression.

Well, in fairness, no one ever confirmed the Charter school cost money. It's just a flippant comment made by a criminal, it very well could just be an assumption on his part. It may even be intentional; he assumes anything worthwhile must be expensive. A bit of subtle characterization.

Or maybe Bendis just doesn't know wtf he's talking about. But still.

• 1 month later...

Y'know...I'm probably in the minority, but I like the way this has been going. He's a lot like Parker, as of this issue he's driven by a similar guilt. They played out his denial of responsibility for longer than a few pages.

Plus, in the Ultimate universe, it actually makes some sense for people to be horrified if they discover they have super powers. It would be like waking up with a permanent turban and a beard on 9/12.

I dunno. I like this kid.

• 4 months later...

As good a thread as any, I suppose.

Ultimate and 616 universe crossover

5SU8O.jpg

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man, Marvel Comics is bringing together its two versions of the iconic character — one who is white and one who’s bi-racial — in a meeting that fans never thought would happen.

A new five issue mini-series, “Spider-Men,” available starting in June, uses a common villain to bring the two heroes from different alternate realities: Peter Parker, the one known to generations of fans since he was created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1962, and Miles Morales, who was introduced last year in the company's Ultimate line.

“For the 50th anniversary of Spider-Man, what everyone was looking for was a Spider-Man story that mattered,” says series writer Brian Bendis. “Well, here you go.”

GjSB0.jpg

This kinda opens the floodgates. The Ultimate universe has always been very separate from 616, and I like it that way. Even when it deviates from it's original purpose and becomes a hollow caricature of Marvel proper (Ultimates 3).

I guess it's not like there's much going on there anymore though.

• 3 months later...

Everything past "Dead Days" (Not counting Vs. Army of Darkness, Dead Days, A Christmas Carol, and that one that explained where Zombie Sentry came from) has involved the 616 directly.

Volume 3 involved Machine Man and Jocasta going into the zombieworld to get samples and save somebody. The Conquistador was eaten and Wundarr the Aquarian was infected, though it never told if he managed to cure himself or not.

Volume 4 dealt with The Midnight Sons (actually the Legion of Monsters, but whatever) composed of Morbius, Jennifer Kale (and kind of Man-Thing), Jack Russell, and Daimon Hellstrom dealing with the virus. That's why the Zombie Deadpool Head from Merc-With-A-Mouth is in the 616. Jack Russell survives becoming a zombie by transforming back into a human which for some stupid reason fixes him, and Simon Garth takes on the virus because... comics. I haven't figured out if it was the 616 Garth or the zombieverse version though.

Volume 5 involved Machine Man and Howard the Duck going to different universe collecting different versions of the virus to come up with a cure. This was probably the best volume of the whole series.

Marvel Zombies Supreme had a bunch of nobodies and one of the Bucky's (the black one, I don't know what his name is) dealing with a zombified Squadron Supreme. It was also where they cashed in on the resurrection of Jack of Hearts that was promised in Incredible Hercules a couple years ago.

The current arc (Destroy) dealt with Howard the Duck, Dum Dum Dugan and a bunch of characters I do not know going to an alternate universe where Nazi Zombies won World War 2 because the Norse Gods were zombified. It involves a lot of characters I've never even heard of (apparently revamped versions of old 1940s Marvel Characers) Point is, it ends with Howard and Dugan bringing a zombified Captain America back to the 616. I'm sure that'll be involved later, and there have been a handful of 616 casualties due to the series.

Good post Baytor, but the very first crossover between 616 Marvel Universe and Marvel Zombie Universe came in the Black Panther/Storm Fantastic Four.

blap028.jpg

I forget the story so that should explain if it was good or not, but that was the first crossover with 616.

Yeeeah, uh...I read the first one?

I've only been peripherally aware that they've kept making them.

You should read volumes 3 and 5 at least, I think you'd dig them. Machine Man and Howard the Duck are such a perfect pairing you won't know how much your life was missing it until you read it.

• Upvote 1