Hondo's Bar

Hondosbar Pick-Up Post! Show Us Your Goods!

Newtype

My first foray into Non-liscensed Action Figures. This is "Cerebral" from the company First Gokin. I thought this guy looked incredible. They also have a "Shredder" coming out that looks equally amazing. More pics below:

That figure looks amazing! How's the quality of the figure? Where did you get it?

That figure looks amazing! How's the quality of the figure? Where did you get it?

To be honest, I haven't had much time to mess with it. When I first took it out of the box (same time I took those pics) I thought the joints felt a little wonky, but I haven't had tried to pose it yet. It has some diecast parts (the waist and the feet/ankles I believe), so if feels super solid and plants really well. The sculpt on Krang himself is awesome, and he actually has some heft to him. Also, he has articulated tentacles, so that's awesome. The Man-droid also has a switch on the back which illuminates the stomach cavity with a blue LED. I NORMALLY frown on the non-licensed figures (a friend of mine has a ton, like the faux-masterpiece Megatron) but this one was just so spot on, I had to grab it. The only issue with it is it's a bit pricey! I preordered it from Lunartoystore.com 3 or 4 months before it came out (the version I got is a re-release with a chrome finish on the metal pieces). They had an 'early-bird' special for $130 if I'm not mistaken. The new chrome version is still in stock there for $159.99, which is a little below the retail price if I'm not mistaken. I've seen some on ebay as well (both chrome and original versions).

• 2 weeks later...

zrMoE7l.jpg

Fuck you POP!

61iDa6S.jpg

"I've been trying to help Keith perfect his Rocket League game for 2 whole days. I just wanna die!"

uFhTK6F.jpg

B4Fc7ZF.jpg

These things usually go for like 20 bucks. Our store clearanced them for about 4. Pretty neat!

• 2 weeks later...

. . .The only issue with it is it's a bit pricey! I preordered it from Lunartoystore.com 3 or 4 months before it came out (the version I got is a re-release with a chrome finish on the metal pieces). They had an 'early-bird' special for $130 if I'm not mistaken. The new chrome version is still in stock there for $159.99, which is a little below the retail price if I'm not mistaken. I've seen some on ebay as well (both chrome and original versions).

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Massive upgrade came in the mail today!

tumblr_o9x9hqVv3k1vndct2o1_540.jpg

Been watching for hours now - the restorations look soooo good. Between the 3 volumes - there are 19 hours worth of featurettes: docs on Bob Clampett, Chuck Jones, Tex Avery, Friz Freleng, Leon Schlesinger, Mel Blanc...it. is. ridiculous!

(Vol. 1: 5 hours...Vol. 2: 8 hrs...Vol. 3: 6 hrs) Plus, more than half of the shorts have commentary tracks w/ animation historians n' clips from interviews w/ Chuck Jones, Avery, ect....and sum w/ special guest star, John K!

In total, there are 'bout 180 shorts...and dozens of bonus absolutely classic early WB ones. Plus, full-color books w/ lovely, lovely art. It's insane. Disney needs to upgrade their Treasures Collection to blu like this. (The Mickey, Goofy, Donald shorts)

These normally run for $60 - EACH! Got 'em ALL for $25! Scoooore!

This stuff really gets my groove goin'. I'm heavily influenced by the early stuff - I'm in heaven. Highly recommended. For animation nuts - the supplemental material alone belongs in your library.

Bob-Clampett.jpg

$25?!?! Was that some kinda ebay win? I remember back in the day when these first came out on DVD I would hawk Amazon for a sale so I could afford them on my sad, college student budget. I finally got one volume (vol. 3) for like $25 or $30 on freakin' DVD and you scored all three volumes on blu for the same or less. Well played, sir. Well played.

5197327-4022539698-giphy.gif

LOL! Yeah, I dunno if they just didn't know what they had or they thought they were DVDs...but, I was honestly half-expecting an email apologizing for an error. I was so excited when they arrived...(shrugs) oops? LOL!

Those Golden Collection Volumes on DVD are loaded - so you know first-hand the TLC given to these releases. They ain't no 'bargain bin, public domain collections'. They're 'must-have's for fans n' enthusiasts - but damn are they steep! Still can't believe my luck! I'm still comparing and contrasting the special features (commentaries / docs) before I box-up my DVD dups.

I'm almost done w/ the 2nd volume - as far as docs go, it's lookin' like it's everything the Gold Editions have, plus quite a few new blu-exclusive (in lovely 1080p) featurettes. Still got some research to do - both the DVDs n' blu got a lot o' 'bonus shorts', still haven't checked if one has more / less/ differing ones than the other. The blu has got sum unadvertised stuff (y'know how they do the ...'and more!' on the back) Still picking it apart - final assessment expected in about a week...it's a lot of content! So far, it feels definitive.

Just came in the mail today! It's back in stock!

tumblr_oa80xmxeDJ1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oa81dfvSwx1vndct2o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oa81f99rgZ1vndct2o1_540.jpg

moLUDf.gif

Sadly, no Everett Peck art...aaaaand it's not in color (it's done like an old book, kinda cool) - but it covers a butt-load of ghosts from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon and movies...good enough for me. Nice collectible n' addition to the library...it's Tobin's Spirit Guide!

EDIT: I should add, it's written by Dr. Ray Stanz n' Dr. Egon Spengler. All descriptions are written in-universe, like Prima's Ghostbuster Video Game Strategy Guide. A fun read.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly