Hondo's Bar

the fatass thread

gunsmithx

ive been told that too (get more out of cardio when you're dead at the end), but do what's working for you as long as you can stay consistent. again, consider some light cardio when you first get up if you can - even doing the stairs for 15-20 minutes in your giant building would help.

just over 1 week of insanity, and then again, i'm running/jogging the bridge with Los till im ready to hit the gym fulltime again, lemme know if you wanna join up for a cardio challenge! keep it up though man.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ive been told that too (get more out of cardio when you're dead at the end), but do what's working for you as long as you can stay consistent. again, consider some light cardio when you first get up if you can - even doing the stairs for 15-20 minutes in your giant building would help.

stairs? We only have two modes in this fine tower I live in: the elevator or the palanquin (it's great! they hire what we call 'low people' or people who don't live in this tower to carry us on a feathered chair down the stairs).

gILg9.jpg

okay, maybe a little

on a side note: tomorrow's my/Los' day off from our current regiment, Sen has decided we all try to walk/jog/run the bridge at 97th Ave to see where we're at, sometime after dinner. i'm guessing 830p-9 or so? possibly earlier, but i kinda doubt it. anyway, open invite to anyone interested in getting in on it, after this week we're gonna try picking 2-3 days a week (1 on weekend of course) and get as many people as are down to make a group thing out of it, LL's already signing up. holla!

Ok time for my bi weekly update,

Only 4 pounds this time(please remember to ridicule me for this meager loss) I know some people will say 2 pounds a week is good but fuck it, I"m huge and fat and I can burn 5 to 7 pounds a week for a while yet so I need to pick that up and that means watching what I eat better and get tash to stop baking so much :P

I've been jogging at least every other day but I need to make sure I get that up to 5 to 6 days a week, Also after doing some research I might add an afternoon jog/walk a couple of days a week(yes I did look this up and I know I need to go easy at first) I also need to get up to the point where I can jog the entire distance but that will come with time, I just try to go a bit further every time.

I also figure that in a couple of months I'll need to add some kind of weight lifting rutine but since my work scedule will be changing that should be easier to do. For now I'll just stick to upping my sit ups and push ups.

Any other suggestions for things I can do at home? Also reading above should I do sit ups and pushups before I do cardio? I know it's not lifting but I guess it should count for a warm up.

Thanks again for all the advice.

btw, runnersworld.com seems to be a great resource, maybe I"m just talking shit but I'd like to work my way up to the point that maybe doing some kind of small marathon isn't out of the question.... I'll be honest this is the most excited I've been to get in shape in a long long time, I'm starting to really look forward to my jogs and honestly the image in my head of me in shape is very alluring( the last time I was in really good shape I was in high school :/) got to keep up the enthusiasm

there's lots of stuff you can do from home, gun - i'll see if i can dig up an old ab routine but really, just jogging around your block, swimming (you've a park nearby, don't you?) and many things can be done entirely without a gym. if you slowly get into something like racquetball, basketball etc you know you'll shed a lot there too.

again, for what it's worth, i should be ready to start lifting again inside of a few months, like you said. Kertins & i did our first run in forever monday night, she went again today and is already seeing some progress. for your goal thing, i think arch has the right idea - me, i used to just make physical goals all the time. like, before academy, my cardio was pretty shit, so i decided 5 days a week, id just jog around my complex until i could keep moving without coming to a complete stop, for five minutes.

2 weeks later, that became 10 minutes. months pass and i can keep pace for nearly a half hour. id do the same thing with pushups before bed every night until i maxed out somewhere around the 80's. pushing yourself is good, but i think consistency's better.

keep us updated, man. also, props to joel for knocking his first regular week at the gym out of the park, keep it up man!

I don't know if anyone else has this problem....but I have such a hard time on the weekends...with keeping to my diet...I'll stay steady with the exercise...but instead of a cheat day...I go nuts...especially if there is partying involved. Anyone else have these moments/times of weakness?

Snowflake has been given permission to slap me at will if I attempt to go off the deep end...but what I really guess it boils down to is having discipline...and not wasting a weeks worth of good nutrition and exercise.

So this weekend is my test run to see if I can do it...and not really try to see it as going without, but doing what is right for my body.

That way, I won't have to spend the week working off what I did to myself over the weekend.

Aargh...this being disciplined sucks sometimes. But it's paying off, because ultimately I feel better and healthier!

I'm assuming Tash bakes them from scratch? If she's into boxed mixes, there's one called "No Pudge Fudge" and its low in fat & calories.

It gets very hard to stick to anything when there's partying involved.

What you have to do is remind yourself of how you feel afterwards. Or...one thing that I've found that works for me is that I am super-duper-duper-duper strictly good during the week so if I do fall off on the weekends, its not as bad as if I was bad all week.

Mon-Fri (and sometimes even on the weekends) I do a "liquid" lunch and it seems to keep me in check for when I do go out with Ben to eat somewhere.

I don't know about you guys, but my problem is not lack of healthy choices, its ignoring them and choosing the bad stuff. Hell, I'm not having grilled chicken with vegetables if I'm dining at Flanigan's amirite?

THought I'd weigh in as a fatarse looking to shed some *ahem* Kilograms.

I've been gymming 5 days a week since I started the new job and incrementally upping the ante. I stopped weights with the exception of core work because I found I was toning too much(ie losing my glamour fat) in my upper body faster than I'm losing my gut, to the effect that I'm going to look like a skinny-armed pot-bellied White Ethiopian instead of all-around chunky as I do. Started a boxing/sparring class tonight and was shown just how easily I'm letting myself off with this shit. Upshot is I worked like a dog and demolished their goddamned toilet afterward(dunno that I've ever done that sober before), so if I can keep this up I'll shed the weight in no time. :yup:

I also have 3 PT sessions I pre-purchased when I signed up that I've been putting off because I recall what it was like back in the day. ANd having done this class tonight, a general class for everyday people and not one-on-one with a sadistic fucking madman, I'm pretty sure I'll neck myself before I cash in on those PT sessions.

me, i put it at good/heavy carbs (big bowl of pasta) = hours and hours (possibly the night before) heavy cardio in the morning, time to digest. stuff like a banana/easily digestible can be done before running though, at least with my system. your mileage may vary.

then again, chinese take-out isn't really going to help anything, at least not the way it's prepared over here.

me, i put it at good/heavy carbs (big bowl of pasta) = hours and hours (possibly the night before) heavy cardio in the morning, time to digest. stuff like a banana/easily digestible can be done before running though, at least with my system. your mileage may vary.

then again, chinese take-out isn't really going to help anything, at least not the way it's prepared over here.

It was sheer laziness and neglect to have taken something out to cook on my part. I've made up for it by hitting the gym for an hour every day since (today excluded).

Found this information on a website devoted to the health benefits of honey...and these came up in reference to working out...just a little FYI

(I love honey and eat it in plain yogurt, put it in green tea, and love it on strawberries frozen/fresh)

Nature’s Energy Booster

The benefits of honey go beyond its great taste. A great natural source of carbohydrates which provide strength and energy to our bodies, honey is known for its effectiveness in instantly boosting the performance, endurance and reduce muscle fatigue of athletes. Its natural fruit sugars play an important role in preventing fatigue during exercise. The glucose in honey is absorbed by the body quickly and gives an immediate energy boost, while the fructose is absorbed more slowly providing sustained energy. It is known that honey has also been found to keep levels of blood sugar fairly constant compared to other types of sugar. So, to experience these health benefits of honey, here are a few tips for you:

1. Next time before you go for a workout, take a spoon of honey to enable you to go for the extra mile.

2. If you are feeling low and lethargic in the morning, instead of reaching out for a can of carbonated energy drink , try honey. Spread it on hot toast or replace the sugar in your tea with it for a refreshing surge of energy.

3. If your kids are finding hard to cope with the physical strain from the buzzing activities at school, prepare them some sandwiches with honey, butter and ham to make sure they have enough energy to sustain through the day. My kids are delighted when they see me prepare warm honey water in their bottles. They couldn't care a bit about the health benefits of honey, but simply love the taste of it!

Found out the best thing EVER the other day from a health nut friend of mine: Coffee is good for staggering the release of nutrients/carbs. So the idea is if you have a big rice mean or something, do so with the coffee so it doesn't just do the normal thing and inundate your system.

Archived